Safe Anchoring on Reef

Lats
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Safe Anchoring on Reef

Post by Lats »

Guys and Gals,

Just got some questions about anchoring specifically on reef in deeper water say 30-60m. Just want to know if I was to anchor in 40m
of water, how much extra line should I be letting out? And how much chain should I be using? I know on bigger tides I should increase my
anchor length but just curious on other people's opinions.

From working as a deckhand on a fish trap boat down South I have seen trap floats fire downwards like bullets on sudden current surges and
have heard of boats coming unstuck :titanic: with an anchor line being too short.

I have a 6.1m Top Ender which is not exactly tiny but old mother nature has a tendency to give you the :fubird: if you were to do something
stuipid.

:drinking1:

Bottom Bashing Bloke
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Safe Anchoring on Reef

Post by Bottom Bashing Bloke »

just make sure the anchor line has a nice angle to it, so like \ is way to steep but something in the way of 45 is good. just drop the anchor and back up off it to set it and it should be right. that wat we do in Nth QLD
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

Standard is 3:1 up to 5:1 in chop.
Dont be tempted to just drop the anchor or the chin will end up in a pile and drag until it grabs on. Lay it out
The chain is the thing that actually holds the anchor flat on the bottom. if it is too light or short, you will tend to drag the anchor. Thats why you need a strong deckie :D
fishfanatic
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by fishfanatic »

Bear and Nomad are right - 3:1 ratio - 40 metres deep = 120 metres of rope. That of course is a little ridculous so I would think unless youre anchoring in really rough seas an extra 20 metres out should hold you OK. The chain is the critical part - on a 6 metre boat you really need about 6-7 metres of fairly heavy chain. Good luck if you dont have an electric winch :bonk: :D ..your deckie will look Arnie after a day out
'Take me drunk, I'm home"
Unknown

"Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth".
John F. Kennedy

"The first principle of a free society is an untrammeled flow of words in an open forum"
Adlai E. Stevenson

"We are willing enough to praise freedom when she is safely tucked away in the past and cannot be a nuisance. In the present, amidst dangers whose outcome we cannot foresee, we get nervous about her, and admit censorship".
Forster, Edward

"Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear"
George Orwell

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
by Anonymous
DOUG
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by DOUG »

yep chain is the important part i regularly anchor straight up and down above a mark!!! weather and run plays a part in it all if rough you will need more out to allow for the waves and current but i find the heavy chain holds it down
i have a 7m boat with 8m of heavy chain and just a small reef type anchor the one with the 4 small spikes that are 100mm long seems to hold well with so much chain keeping it angling across the bottom not lifting up so much
you would need alot of rope if you use the 3:1 ratio i only recently increased my anchor rope to 100m
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

My days of hauling big chains onboard are over. :(
I used to use the ring lifters down south to lift nig anchors where the swells tend to make you drag more than here
Lats
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Lats »

fishfanatic wrote: Good luck if you dont have an electric winch :bonk: :D ..your deckie will look Arnie after a day out
Funny you should mention that cause my deckie is also my misses who weighs about 50kg and she has already hit me up to look
into getting a winch installed. And I know that if I dont then I will find myself doing the anchor more and more. Plus I like her with
the size arms that she has :naughty:

And thanks to all the other tips too guys :drinking8: I have 110m of rope but I am going to increase my chain. Also going to try
the Mooloolaba anchor that on a previous post a lot of people seemed to rave about.

Can anyone recommend a good winch or one to keep away from? I have done a small amount of research but reading the makers
comments on their own product wears a bit thin after a while. I have already got a dual battery system to accommodate it.

:cheers:
AM
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by AM »

They are right about the chain but at all costs keep away from all anchor winches,keep away from all manner of fancy rings, and stainless steel devices to slide down anchor ropes, sprung loaded or not. Very simple go get yourelf a large cheap galvanised bow shackle that will fit over the shank of whichever reef pick takes your fancy.
Do a search, I put up a post last year on driving anchors off easily and safely, (her arms will remain the same size)