Interservice Fishing Comp

Public and private club events - results and battle stories. And any other club news ...
Lats
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Interservice Fishing Comp

Post by Lats »

Wonder if there are any RAAFies on here that can tell me when the Inter-service Fishing Comp is usually held? I went in it years ago when I was in the Navy and posted up here but I cant remember what time of year it was. Pretty keen to give it another crack.

Cheers

Gold Can
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Interservice Fishing Comp

Post by Gold Can »

Lats,

That died in the bum after the last one in 2005. Unfortunately the powers to be didn't see it to be a recognised sport within defence. Also there was a lack of volunteers to help organise it , however every man and his dog wanted to fish it.

I actually led the team that organised the 2005 comp and it was a lot of work involved and was very lucky that I had a good boss at the time that also wanted to fish it, so he was happy to give me time off to travel from Tindal to Darwin to organise sponsors, prizes, trophies . The comp was held in October.

Cheers
The way to a fishermans heart is through his fly!!
Fry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Fry »

i think someone should have another crack at organising another one
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lats
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Lats »

Thanks for the info Gold Can. That is sad, although not surprising. My last few years in the permanent forces it was obvious that the fun police
were out in force. Media blowing things out of proportion doesnt help I spose either. Plus in the eyes of Defence, if your not playing rugby union, your not
playing a sport.
doors off
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by doors off »

Golf is a recognised ADF sport! WTF over!
Save the Tuna - Eat a Dolphin!
Lats
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Lats »

Doors Off, there are many recognised ADF sports. My point being is that Rugby Union boys always have and always will get thousands of dollars thrown at them by Defence for trips all over the world without the need for participants to go out and find sponsors, raise money and do the hard work, like what Gold Can was talking about. Having a 2 or 3 star at the head of RANRU and ADFRU see's to that. All other sports are a very far second.
Lats
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Lats »

Actually make that 4 stars because General Cosgrove ret was also involved
Richieboy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Richieboy »

Ha! Absolutely correct Lats. Tours to Argentina, NZ, America, Pacific nations cups not to mention all the ASRU trials. In the end I had the selectors pick me from the Australian Rugby Shiled comps palying against QLD and NSW.

Damn it must have cost the government some money flying us all over the world.

Never fished an interservice comp tho. Just had my fun on Adventure training weeks away. =)

Richie
Mad KEEN!
Lats
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Lats »

And Richieboy, good luck to players like yourself who are good enough to get on that gravy train. I worked with a bloke who was picked to tour overseas with ASRU but the ship's Captain didnt allow him to go because the ship was going into a concentration period (lots of work at sea)... that was until the Vice Chief of Navy rang him up to "persuade" him to let him leave :bricks: