teaser setups

If you are into billfish, this is your home.
DOUG
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

teaser setups

Post by DOUG »

just curious to see what teaser setups people are running
im currently running a witch doctor then a daisy chain of squid above that and on the other side i have a
dredge strip teaser with the silver garfish then recently seeing its been hard to raise a fish i have been running another set of
birds with squid daisy chains on the out side of the outriggers
i took a few pics while out on sunday as the weather and water was kind so made for good viewing
first pic is of the dredge coming to the surface normal runs at about 2 3 feet deep with a large sinker in front
find the bait i run just behind this always goes first and the mackeral love it as its missing 4 ana half strips at the moment
P6260462.JPG
P6260461.JPG
P6260459.JPG
P6260457.JPG
pic of the whole spread i havnet had a chance to try switch baiting so i always run rigged bait just of the teasers
if the macks aare about i run them in a little closer even in front of the teaser for a drop back
P6260456.JPG
some under water pics of the dredge
62420_135393779841069_100001113427807_184342_3040460_n.jpg
62954_135393793174401_100001113427807_184343_3122152_n.jpg
hope fully few other show there differtent spreads
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Pecheur
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: teaser setups

Post by Pecheur »

Hi there,

I love the under water pics that is great to have an idea of what the fishes actually see.

Have a good day,
Pecheur
Faulksy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Faulksy »

Looks Good.

I run a stickface stalker on one side under 2 birds with a chain of squid behind them finished of with a soft pusher.
I have just brought a spreader bar to run on the other side. I am yet to trial it. If I am slow trolling I run one of those spinning Mac teasers that flash and splash heaps.

Pete
dodgyone
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dodgyone »

What are you running them behind Faulksy? Hahaha.
Don't wanna be a flat water hero.

Real men go fast when it's rough.
Faulksy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Faulksy »

Might get me a canoe
mudskippa
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by mudskippa »

Looking out the back , witchdoctor on the left , large moldcraft bird on the right with 6 moldcraft 6" squid spaced about 12 to 14 inches apart , run them about 6-8 m behind the boat , one bait above and behind the doctor and one about 6 feet behind the last squid and out in clean water.Find the speed of your motor that makes a nice sound and still provides a nice action to your baits, also pull the leg right in to clean up the whitewater from the prop.One thing to remember , the more you have behind the boat , the more you have to pull in when you hook up.Keep it simple.
Guns'n roses
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Guns'n roses »

Have been running just a witch doctor, and a couple of birds on top, and on the other side a home made contraption made out of an old kick board with some foam stars either side of it to really get the water splashing :)

PS the water looked good out there !!!!!!
deepblack
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by deepblack »

I have been experimenting with various teasers over the last two seasons up here and have found a mix of surface and subsurface works well. At the moment I am running two daisy chains consisting of a bird teaser in the lead followed by two coke cans and then four pink squid and finally a richter soft grassy in pink and white. I stopped using cans for a couple of trips because they are a pain in the arse but I have went back to including them in my chains because they definately raise fish. I think there is a need to use subsurface teasers but I don't use a witchdoctor (designed to be used in conjunction with a lure spread) because at the depth it runs I can't see any fish it raises to be able to pitch to them. In my mind from what I have seen dredge teasers are the way forward for this fishery and I now have one in my spread that I have designed to be Mackerel proof. A good thing too as they certainly like it. :banghead: There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that the dredge is the most effective teaser I have used BUT it is a nightmare to clear. :evil: If I had to pick one teaser to run it wold be a coke can daisy chain. Cheap and extremely effective you can't go wrong. 8)
Cheers, :cheers:
John.

On second thoughts I'll just have one of these bad boys:
http://www.marlin-x.com/
North Shore Reel Service 0400494401.
300hp
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by 300hp »

Deepblack have a look at strip teaser dredge 's they are way better than those cheap imitation dredges.They have a bigger hang with up to 3 or 5 drops and the tapes have a special head which gives the whole thing heaps of movement.you can get them in little school of fish or gar .The one i have is a monster with 256 gar fish on a 42 inch dredge we have no problems pulling it in and raises lots of fish.i run either a swimming gar or split tail mullet behind dredge and does the job.As for surface teasers we keep it simple with a speedie bird and 4 pink and 4 white squid towards the end and run a skipping queenie at the end of teaser as sails can belt the p..s and pick handles out of them and go all day.we also run a single teaser bait for switching over of either a belly flap of tuna with a pakula cockroach skirt at the front or a small skipping queenie so the can be ripped out quick with the teaser rod.
Swoffa
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Swoffa »

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8W2E35Spbo4[/youtube]

Because we are fly fishing for Billies, we run ALL of our teasers on the surface. This could be the reason we are seeing more fish than most others. We also tend to keep it simple as it is a lot easier to pull in the teasers when there is only one chain in the water.

The main chain is a Boone bird followed by two groups of four squid. Between the squid sections is a reflective float which always gets hammered by the macks but tends to leave the rest of the chain alone. One thing that we have tried lately is to tow the pitch bait behind the teaser chain rather than try to cast once the fish has been raised, just takes one more step out of the process of targeting them on fly. The pitch bait is normally a stitched mullet about 6 inches long but doesn't have any hooks attached as we only want to tease the bille to the back of the boat, not actually hook it yet.

When the billie is raised, we make sure it is attracted to the pitch bait and then quickly pull in the teaser. We bring the pitch bait to the back of the boat (with billie in tow), when the caster is ready we pull the bait out of the water, turn the motor to neutral and cast the fly directly behing the tgeased up fish. Hopefully the billfish will turn, see the presented fly and eat it on a going away strike.

BC is at the wheel in the video. We were doing about 10kmh during this run but normally stick to around 12kmh. Not much of a bow wave from my boat due to the design of my hull (SeaJay 5.35 Tropic).

Cheers

Warren
What angler can cross over a bridge without peering over its side