Mark Berg + Hodgy = Massive GT's

HODGY
Silver Member
Silver Member

Mark Berg + Hodgy = Massive GT's

Post by HODGY »

Hi all,

I was supposed to post this before the show aired but with the birth of my beautiful baby girl it was delayed. SORRY. The second part to the show airs on Friday night at 6pm on the lifestyle channel. I just thought I would share a bit more information about it.

In May 2010 I was surprised by my wife and Mark Berg from Fishing Addiction, with the ultimate fishing experience of my life. I was flown to Hamilton Island and from there we headed out 150nm in a water plane to Elusive Reef and an 80ft NOMAD Fishing mother ship.
P5270008.JPG
Once there I spent the next 8 days fishing for massive GT’s, Spaniards, Coral Trout and any other species that would take a lure.

It was unreal, a dream come true. Day 2 while casting Wilson 150mm jet poppers I caught a 50kg GT, the first for the NOMAD fishing charter in 2010. I was so pumped. It was none stop action the rest of the week.
IMG_4993.JPG
Mark and I were catching GT’s so much that we set about breaking every record that the Nomad Charter Boat had. The last day we ended up catching 59 GT’s in a day between 3 blokes. That was 1 GT in the boat ever 10 mins.
IMG_5046.JPG
I was broken every night when we got back to the mother ship I nearly used a whole tub of deep heat and a packet of panadol. The pain didn’t stop me fishing because the lights of the mother ship attracted fish every night so me and a few boys would spend the night catching squid, sharks and other reef fish trying every different method we could think off.

My highlight of the trip other than the 50kg GT was a 28kg GT on 30lb braid in 1.5m of water. The fight went on and on, nearly 30 mins and in the end the reel broke and I had to finish fighting the fish with my hands.

I won’t tell you how it ends but I’ll say that I enjoyed everything about it.

I've also added a few picture of some of the other boys on the charter. the GT that is bigger than the 3 boys behind it was 59kgs (massive)
P6010534.JPG
Thanks HODGY.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bullet
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Mark Berg + Hodgy = Massive GT's

Post by Bullet »

Great story and pic's Hodgy, that last GT is massive!!!

Cheers bullet
Cheers Bullet

I LIVE WITH FEAR, SOMETIMES SHE LETS ME GO FISHING!

DON'T NEED BAIT!
deepblack
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by deepblack »

Awesome fish!!
North Shore Reel Service 0400494401.
Aaron G
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Aaron G »

HOLY FRIGGIN HELL!

That is a whopper of a GT! Were all fish caught using popers? or where other techniques used?

I couldnt even imagine the fight that trevor would give!

59 GTS in a Day would be equivalent to a half marathon!
Pecheur
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Pecheur »

Amazing!!!
:shock: :o :shock: :applause: :clap: :applause:
HODGY
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by HODGY »

aaron.geier wrote:
That is a whopper of a GT! Were all fish caught using popers? or where other techniques used?
Most of ours were caught on 150mm wilson jet poppers, but some of the other boys/boats were using different brand poppers and sliders, some of them are shown below. it didn't really matter what colour they just needed the correct action. it waws werid cause the GT's would watch them through the air, so you had to have the bail arm over before the lure hit the water. Most of the lures only ever last one trip according to the guides, the GT's would just distroy them. all of our jet poppers were wrecked.
IMG_4961.JPG
IMG_4477.JPG
when i pulled in the 50kg GT their were moments when i thought i was going in the drink, the drag is set so tight that you cant pull any line from the reel.

HODGY
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
muntzy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by muntzy »

Awesome.
Cheers Muntzy.
Outside of a dog, a book is a mans best friend,
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read!!
Agent86
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Agent86 »

WoW!! :shock:

amazing fishing, i love catching GT's

the fight goes on and on, and they are explosive, caught a few good ones at the blue holes but nothing like that.

and i thought a 20kg one was good!!

good on ya!!
If there is water and it holds fish, then it is fun trying to fool them into eating what you offer!!

Especially when you can see them!
Lumborghini
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Lumborghini »

Awesome stuff Hodgy,
What dreams are made of.....

Lumbo
Lumbo,

If i'm too drunk to walk I'll rock the party on crutches...
AM
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by AM »

You are a very special type of individual indeed to endure that. I bested two on one day mackeral trolling on the sandy cape shoals. They weighed in at just over 30KG each when weighed out of the ice box a week later and wont knowingly put bait or lure in front of another. I always grin to myself when I ask people how they went fishing and they say "I got a nice GT" I dont think there is such a thing as a nice one they are all just bad to the bone. You realise you might never walk the same again...
lanber-lady
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by lanber-lady »

WOW
Awesome that must have ben for you !
Wish they would call me for a surprise trip :)
T.J.L.
Mud
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Mud »

I dont think there is such a thing as a nice one they are all just bad to the bone.
I remember off Bynoe last year with Fish Fanatic I hooked up in fairly clear water...I looked over the side and saw that I had a GT down deep and right beside it was a good sized shark waiting for his chance to have a go at it. I went hard trying to keep the GT away from the shark and finally hauled it over the edge of the boat...it was the shark.....the GT had been swimming beside it waiting for it chance to have a go at it lol!

Great post Hodgy. Thats an awesome fish anywhere. Like the monsters they get off Midway. Well done.

I caught the show last night too. Great work all round. Shark Girl and I met Mark and the crew last year at Clearwater Lodge in Apsley Straight in the Tiwi Islands. Great bloke and good lads working with him. Cheers Mark if you catch this thread.
Its not a crisis unless there is blood around.
If there is blood around......well its a police matter...
Seastorm
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Seastorm »

Yer nice fish mate and looked like good seas too, which is a bonus.Saw the Nomad guys in Mackay in 2007, not always nice like that with the easterlies, and that was in close.That is one charter you WOULD pay for on the bluewater.What were the biggest trout you lads lugged up?And well done again :mrgreen:
Eyecon
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Eyecon »

Big GTs, if i never see another one it'll be too soon
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

Should be GST not just GT.Those things deffinatly take there 10% out of you plus all the other taxis.