New Artificial reef for Lee Point

Scuttlers of FFF unite and show us your sinkings!
shaggs
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: New Artificial reef for Lee Point

Post by shaggs »

dirtyruiz wrote:My vote is further out the better, surely the closer they are the more they will get smashed ie bottlewasher?
Sounds like a very biased vote
You obviously have a boat that can get to a lot of places the little fellas cant
There for I will vote the opposite so as everybody get a bit of enjoyment out of the pastime

Shaun

The past is history,the future is mystery,the moment is a gift and that's why it's called the present
c9h14n
Seadog
Seadog

Post by c9h14n »

The middle of North Gutter would be nice, for some of it.
BarraBeast
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by BarraBeast »

well the rules are the govmint cant lay artificials where natural reef already occurs so that can rule out large areas.

I also like the idea of far flung FADs (FFF's) :bonk: however the costs could be prohibitive given the materials they have used so far. however cheaper alternatives are out there and I'm all for a bit of experimentation. BUT the current setup with govmint is very restrictive and I'm not going to bash my head up against the wall with that one.

Im still not convinced high frequency fishing effects lee points isolated reefs much. If one large groper moves in then most smaller species of fish(with exception to bait fish) very shy or temporaily displaced by the groper.

from my observations on neap tides - fish presence fluctuates dramatically every 24hours. so it's a lottery and when i fish with bait, i end up feeding alot more fish than i hook.

anyway i dont want to cause a debate about this and that - structure is your friend.
"in chemistry, Alcohol is a solution! "
BEAR
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by BEAR »

2rods wrote:Concrete road culverts that era ordered with the wrong reo in them and 500 to many!!!
yep there are acres of them and you are spot on rods with why they are no good!
2rods
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by 2rods »

I hear the engineer that ordered them is looking for work??? Maybe DIPE will give him a job building boAt ramps :-). LOL
:cheers:

2RODS

Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm.

If I can't be a good example, then I will just have to serve as a horrible warning...

As John Wayne once said:

"Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid."
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

With that much structure why not drop a heap of different piles around Lee point in small clusters. That way it spreads all the fishing pressure and gives everyone a different spot to hit on any given day.

Once that lot has been dumped at Lee point I too would like to see the Fentons sight upgraded eventually for the bigger boys. There is now an array of fishing opportunitys for the smaller boats around the harbor and Lee point. Why not creat some more stuff a bit farther afield and boost some serious bottom ground out wide.
seano
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by seano »

Build another 'rock' at the mouth of buffalo creek
Abu Yabba Doo
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Abu Yabba Doo »

Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

fish4me123
Seadog
Seadog

Post by fish4me123 »

Why not make your own all you need is some old tyres ? Take 3 old tyres some stainless steel wire. Fill bottom one with cement and wire and tie two others on. Then dump
tight lines
CCO625
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CCO625 »

Maybe instead of sinking them for artificial reefs they could put them to use along Gunn Point Rd. through the wet sections and give us an all season road!
BarraBeast
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by BarraBeast »

fish4me123 wrote:Why not make your own all you need is some old tyres ?

yeah we've been over this one fish4me. the US gov sunk millions of them off florida years ago and had to remove them in the end. nothing grew on the tyres and the leached chemicals into the water. it was a big disaster.

on the WW2 wreck on Darwin, namely the Mona Loa and USAT Meiggs, several tyres can be found on the cargo trucks that are still entact and it's interesting to note that there's no growth on them.

steel and concrete is the go.
"in chemistry, Alcohol is a solution! "
fish4me123
Seadog
Seadog

Post by fish4me123 »

************* MODERATED BY BarraBeast ***************
tight lines
porky17
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by porky17 »

Just hope it happens.the sooner the better i reckon. Put half around the harbour area and half out wide. And no my boat not big enough to go out wide but fairs fair i reckon.

Cheers Peter