Saturday nights storm

Ibbsy
Seadog
Seadog

Saturday nights storm

Post by Ibbsy »

Here's a shot from last night. Only got the 1 decent shot
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Saturday nights storm

Post by nomad »

That's a beauty.
Its amazing how the lightening even spelled out your name like that. :rofl:
I should have been a comic.

Ive tried many times to get sparks like that but all ive ever got was total whiteout.
any details of exposure time settings etc?
PS how DO you get the watermark?
Ibbsy
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Ibbsy »

Nomad any details of exposure time settings etc?
PS how DO you get the watermark?
Shutter speed 2.5 sec f5.6 iso 50 ( usually I have higher f stop as iso is set at 100)I am using a lightning trigger to fire the shutter patchmaster is the brand got it on Ebay it is great and also can be used in the day. lens in manual at 24mm and set at infinity. If you are getting white out increase your f stop for bigger strikes or closer ones I use about f9 to f12.
When not using the lightning trigger I use Bulb setting and hand trigger and keep the shutter open until I get a strike.

I have created a brush in photoshop for the water mark following Nina's tutorial in the tips section once you have created the brush and saved it you just select the brush when you add your water mark. saves retyping or creating one each time.

hope this helps :cheers:
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

Thanks for that, I've not heard of the lightening trigger.
The last time I tried, I set the exposure to 30 sec but there were so many strikes that it just washed out. I was trying to get multiple strikes in the one shot but it didn’t work
With the long exposure, I would just cover the lens after each strike. – again didn’t work.

I took hundreds of shots but not many ½ decent ones.
Time to get the credit card out again :mrgreen:
Angry
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Angry »

Same here boys tried heaps to get Lightning but no hope. :banghead: :banghead:

Last time I had a front row seat to a great lightning storm @ Burrinjuck sitting on the verandah watiching tje whole thing, but could nt get the lighnning shots, I ciould nt find the manual :drinking2: :drinking2: for the settings I wanted either...

I got a link you sent me Ibbsy, for the lightning trigger, it'll hae to go on the "Bucket List of toys to buy", bit skint after buying a new 75 Honda for the Boat :D :D

Like those klighntning shots though, was reading ion a Yankie Foto Mag about a couple of guys who make a living taking Lightning & Tornado shots :shock: :shock:

Ill have to go back & go through the tutorial again as Ive now got a version of Photoshop to do the Copyright water mark.
Angry

"I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you"

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.