South Alligator 2nd and 3rd

And jacks, salmon, jewfish - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
matt w
Silver Member
Silver Member

South Alligator 2nd and 3rd

Post by matt w »

JUst got round to putting this post up from last weekend. Had an old mate booked to come up from Brisbane to get amongst the runoff.....I called him 5 days before we were set to depart to make sure there was no way that he could slide the trip another few weeks, but nope, all locked in just that little bit too early :banghead: So we set off Friday arvo, settled in and wacked the boat in for a late afternoon run...I picked up a good 78cm on the troll straight away, had a few beers, then pulled off and hit the bar. Gave it a good crack all day Saturday, on the water at 5.45am and lucky we were because by pullout time of 3pm there were cars and trailers all the way out to the entry road. :bonk: Man has it changed over the years. Worked hard upstream for a few fish and dropped a few too, biggest keeper going 77cm (for the visitor) on a flicked bomber, unfortunately for that fish just a bit too silver to release. Had a relaxing evening in the pub and another great meal, back into it 5.45am Sunday, went downstream this time and worked back getting 3 nice fish over 75cms, the biggest going 89cms, a cracking fat fish that put on a sensational fight cartwheeling and side slapping like a champion. Not a bad effort from Damian the barra virgin to go 77cm followed by 89cm in two days, you can do a lot worse than that as a newbie, and in tough conditions too.

All in all it was pretty quiet, but the weather was kind by comparison to an average years with overcast skies and a breeze most of the time, the odd shower and no lightning. The river is still high, its lower and slower than a few weeks back in the Klash, but not by much. Needs a while yet, but I reckon when its right it'll be happy days :fishy:

A few pics attached, including one of the Wildman crossing which was OK in a 4wd, but it never seems ceases to amaze me how quick people race in in thier 2wd's? Maybe they know exactly what they're doing......

Cheers, Matty
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

'We all have it coming kid'
William Munny

'The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses - behind the lines, in the gym, and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights'
Muhammed Ali

'See you later fellas....'
Parting words from Jim Cassidy onboard Might & Power at the home turn in the 1997 Caulfield Cup before going 8 lengths clear and smashing the field

'You only get one Alan Bond in your lifetime....and I've had mine'
Kerry Packer after selling Channel 9 to Alan Bond for $1.055 billion and getting it back in a settlement after the 1987 crash, making an estimated profit of $855 million
Turtle
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: South Alligator 2nd and 3rd

Post by Turtle »

Great post matt, good to see ya mate getting into some good barra!

Bet he'll be hanging out to come back and get into em again!

Good stuff.
Fishing in the top end isn't just a matter of life or death, it's much much more serious than that.
nikoniko
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nikoniko »

Awesome pics and trip mate, thanks for sharing :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
COOPS
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by COOPS »

good stuff,

i had the same thing, a mate up from vic for the weekend. gave it a go anyways

gave the south a go on the saturday. only 1 barra, went up nourlangie and further upstream for not much action. some nice color changes but a heap of water
barrajames
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by barrajames »

Nice work and a closer drive then shady at the moment....lol
Barrajames

The tinnyarse fisho
Remember: The biggest fish ALWAYS hit the lightest line... May your drag smoke like Bob Marley!
bushie
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by bushie »

love the south, good post.