Keep River

Going this weekend? Planning a tour? Need info? A fishing partner? Just ask ...
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Keep River

Post by Matt Flynn »

Anyone fished the Keep River? I've had a quick look, it's an interesting river, very remote, rocky and tidal. Would like some info from anyone who fishes it regularly.

dodgyone
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Keep River

Post by dodgyone »

Got a mate in Kunnanurra that fishes there fairly often. Will pm his details. He owes me a fishing trip so will have to take him up on that shortly.
Don't wanna be a flat water hero.

Real men go fast when it's rough.
Dick
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Dick »

Funny your remote is my backdoor :wink:

.........and visa versa :smile:

It gets fair bit of pressure from both visitors and locals but produces some nice fish. Even get jacks up into the fresh.

Mostly fished from the shore and with small dinghys to a lesser extent.

Has both freshwater and tidal sections.

Gets cut off in the wet, probably the best thing.

G'day Dodgyone, how's it going up there :grin:
Regards Dick
bobj
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Keep River

Post by bobj »

Matt Flynn wrote:Anyone fished the Keep River? I've had a quick look, it's an interesting river, very remote, rocky and tidal. Would like some info from anyone who fishes it regularly.
Mate, that is barra heaven.
Find a tide chart for the area, and fish the neaps in the pools north of the creek that enters the Keep from the west. The tides only reach there once in 3-4 weeks and the barra go off big time; like 10 casts, 10 barra in the 9-12lb bracket. Once the tides move in, that is the end of any fishing.
Check it out on www.googleearth.com
Cheers, bobj.
Dick
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Dick »

About a 7 metre + (Cape Domett) gets into the pool
Regards Dick
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Keep River

Post by Matt Flynn »

Yep, the Keep is not a remote river if you live in Kununurra. But it's still one of the more out-of-the-way rivers for most people. I suppose not much can be called remote nowadays.

It sounds like the upper Keep fishes the same as the Telegraph Pool on the Fitzroy River - when the big tides hit the pool every so often it goes crazy for an hour or two. We had barra boofing all around the boat at the Telegraph when the tide finally hit after two days of nothing, and bait was busting up everywhere - we would have thought there wasn't a fish there it had been so quiet.

Many rivers have similar pools that are breached only on the highest tides - I think the same happens at the Howard River rockbar near Darwin. Similar situations are at Shady Camp barrage and the East Alligator Crossing. Other people can probably name more.