Wildman river creek culvert

Your home if you fish from anything that isn't floating.
Turtle
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Wildman river creek culvert

Post by Turtle »

Gday

Well friday arvo got a text from a mate saying he cleaned up at the wildman river culvert on his way back from Jabiru, ending up getting 12 barra up to 60cm and said he had a ball!
So the decision was to head out Saturday arvo for a look and hopefully put myself onto my first legal barra for 2011. Had an uneventful drive in the cruiser, deciding to skip scotts creek culvert and head straight onto Wildman, arrived there with 2 cars already there, and a nice fish being thrown in the esky, things were looking good!
After about an hour of casting, the barra started to boof underneath the bridge, was good to hear but no matter how hard we tried, we just couldnt pull any out. The storm clouds rolled on in and didnt leave us for the rest of the day, but the fish were still feeding often.

Finally, my mate hooked up on a beautiful silver fish which then proceeded to run the line through the snags, busting him off. The baz then surfaced again and shook the little drop bear off which was pretty good to see!
After another couple of hours with only a few tarpon caught, we were about to call it quits and head back for a flick at some other culverts, we called last cast and the fishing gods must have been feeling sorry for me that day as lo and behold, my little drop bear got smashed. After a short impressive jumping display, I managed to drag the barra to the bank!
He was only a swampy barra but it was still a good feeling getting my first legal for 2011 at 60cm!
No more fish were caught after that so we headed off around 6pm. On the way back one of the floodways had risen a fair way and it was around a meter over the road, the cruiser had no trouble getting through.
Decided to stop past Corroboree pub and have a bl..dy good feed to top off a bl..dy good arvo!

Will definitely be hitting the culverts again soon, hopefully with a bit more luck.

Cheers, Turtle!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fishing in the top end isn't just a matter of life or death, it's much much more serious than that.
Dingo
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog
Location: Used to be Melville Island, now a crappy mainlander

Re: Wildman river creek culvert

Post by Dingo »

Nice one work on your first legal for the year. I was out that way yesterday, plenty or rain and water about that is for sure.
Mr RiverBabe
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Mr RiverBabe »

Well done mate. Better luck the we had today. But we were there at the wrong time of day for anything.
Turtle
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Turtle »

Oh well just gotta keep hitting em then one day it'll go off! Like friday, barra hitting anything that moved, then the day after, same timeframe, only managed one! Thats fishing though.
Fishing in the top end isn't just a matter of life or death, it's much much more serious than that.
troamaru
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by troamaru »

Nice fish mate!
Sy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Sy »

Nice one Turtle ;-)

Cheers

Sy
Cheers

Sy
Mud
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Mud »

Well done Turtle! Great result! The gods smile on those who dont live bait!
Its not a crisis unless there is blood around.
If there is blood around......well its a police matter...
GoodLookinPete
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by GoodLookinPete »

Mud wrote:The gods smile on those who dont live bait!
And a family that likes to eat fish smiles on those that do. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: