Advice sought on outboard and boat works

Here's the place to get the latest information about the Fish Finder Blogs, as well as to request blog specific help.
barraeel
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Advice sought on outboard and boat works

Post by barraeel »

Happy New Year all,

I'm new to FFF and am moving to Darwin next week from Nhulunbuy. I have a Quinnie Reef Runner that I want to modify a little and a Mariner 90hp 2 stroke that could do with a bit of work. I'm trying to actually modify the Mariner into a new Yammie 4 stroke, but the anchor.......!

Can anyone please suggest the better places or people to see about getting some work done? Looking forward to getting some better pricing after being ripped off so badly in Gove.

I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks.

BarraBeast
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Advice sought on outboard and boat works

Post by BarraBeast »

there's plenty of ali fabricators in town such as Allcraft, Pruen Road Berrimah, bit pricey but top quality. I havnt used the rest so the FFF crew will not doubt post some info. there's a few add's in the FFF map book too.

are you sure you want to spend money on it? sentimenatl value ? there's a few people i know have built pods and full transoms to old hulls with mixed results. some of them were dud's in my opinion compared to just flogging the boat and buying a decent modern designed hull that's built for fourstrokes.

Most have gone fourstroke but weight has been a factor in the past(depentant on brand). check all the weights from yamaha, suzuki and honda and compare as an interesting exercise.

if you buy a suzuki, quality marine seam to be the front runners for this brand. Yamaha is In&Outboard marine at Sadgroves.
"in chemistry, Alcohol is a solution! "
GoodLookinPete
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by GoodLookinPete »

I have used Allycraft and Customworks, I might have got an apprentice on the day at CW but the better job was from Allycraft. I'm sure there will be experiences that are the opposite of this though. All it takes is for one hungover apprentice to cock it up on the day.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

What GoodLookingPete says is true - it can depend on who you get on the day with any business. Most of the fabricators who have been around a while in Darwin are very good, but the best have long waiting lists, or at least did when I was looking.

I rebuilt a boat and used two Darwin fabricators in the process. Mods are a lot of fun, just be sure you know what you want. Here's mine ... http://fishingterritory.com/post32631.html
barraeel
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by barraeel »

Thanks fellas,

BarraBeast, thanks for your advice. I'm only looking to do some minor structural work to raise the front casting deck a bit. She's already got a pod, and the mariner weighs more than the Yammie 70 four. I reckon she'll carry the four okay.

I noticed the anchor starting to drag and lose her grip today. That four stroke may not be so far off.
max
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by max »

I use In & outboard marine to service & repair my 60Yam. & cant fault em ,sure they are dear but find one that isnt
2rods
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by 2rods »

Yep quality are the go for all the outboard work and Robbie at allycraft is the go for alloy work
:cheers:

2RODS

Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm.

If I can't be a good example, then I will just have to serve as a horrible warning...

As John Wayne once said:

"Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid."
itsinmeblood
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by itsinmeblood »

there's a bloke in a smallish shop down past truck city...he dropped what he was doing and welded a seam in my old boat for me while I waited took a bit of friggin round cause of all the dirt under the ribs blowing out all over the place usually has a small classified ad in saturdays paper but not in todays unfortunately...anyhoo he gets a thumbs up from me
fish are skinny, the ocean is fat
grumpy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by grumpy »

For boat mods I recommend Wayne Street at All Alumium Humpty Doo (0410579170) He treats all of his jobs as a work of art going that little bit further for you.

For outboard work you can't beat Quality Marine at Farrell Cresent 89472066 they only do exactly what they say they are going to do and don't sneak in those extras.

Cheers
A mans boat is a sign of his strengths and weaknesses???? (and wealth)
Walkabout
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Walkabout »

Badens Alluminium Is the bloke in Berrimah itsinmeblood was thinking about. He has a one man show and takes pride in his work at a fair price. Peter is his name 0409324506.