Dam Fishing

Barramundi, saratoga, sooties and more. For dam fishing, use the dam forums below.
Nicademus
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Dam Fishing

Post by Nicademus »

Just maybe a tip from down this way, we have fished Lake Awoonga just outside Gladstone quite a few times over Xmas & January. Its a big body of water.....the bigger fish were coming on the bite about 11am through till early pm, and in the deeper water. Strange as we only got a few on the edges early morning or late afternoon. Back to the bigger ones...they tended to work the old creek bed lines, and magically appeared on thermoclines at that time of day. Obviously the thermoclines attracted the baitfish...and the Barra followed. Mostly they get them in 3-5 metres of water, but when humidity was high the fish went deeper into 6-8 metres. The old creek bed lines were in the middle of the dam, far from where you would normally concentrate on.....and the water depth was sometimes over 20 metres. So if you are working other dams, it may be worth a try.
We will be making our Top End trip just before Easter (always come up every year), and by the sounds of it this year will be a cracker! Not quite sure exactly where we are headed yet....make that decision while we are on the way up.
See you on the water soon.

[/img]

Enjoy what the Territory has to offer guys, as the rest just doesn't compare!
Blinky-
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Blinky- »

Hey Nicademus,
What was the barometer doing as the humidity was going up? Dropping?
Stop wishin'......Go fishin'!
Better still.....Take a kid fishin'!

Black DiamondRods Pro-Angler
http://www.blackdiamondrods.com/
Nicademus
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Dam Fishing

Post by Nicademus »

Really couldn't tell you Blinky, as I didn't have one with me....but I'd imagine that it was dropping. We got a gig storm later that night. Conditions during the day were pretty hot & sticky, not Territory style but still pretty warm.

I was going to post a pic as well.....but couldn't work out how to do it. Do you know the mechanics?

Cheers,

Nick
Enjoy what the Territory has to offer guys, as the rest just doesn't compare!
Blinky-
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Blinky- »

Post your piccy on a website such photo bucket, my fishing pictures etc. Use the piccys properties or link to get its address.
Click on the Img button, paste said piccys address, and then, press Img button again to finish.

Works for me , as in:

Daly River Horse
Stop wishin'......Go fishin'!
Better still.....Take a kid fishin'!

Black DiamondRods Pro-Angler
http://www.blackdiamondrods.com/