Tribute to the Third Best Barramundi Lure ever made!!

Mud
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Tribute to the Third Best Barramundi Lure ever made!!

Post by Mud »

This is not the third best Barramundi lure ever made.

This is a tribute to the third best Barramundi lure ever made.

The story goes like this. Coming back from a fishless trip to the South a couple of years back I stopped off at one of the many culverts (cant remember which...west of wildman) for a last desperate throw. Young Tristan (15 y/o) who had been with me on that forlorn trip leapt out with his gear and followed me down to the nearly still water. "Will this work dad?" He held up a small green celtic spinner lure that had been mixed up in some cheap multi lure Kmart pack. "You bet it will" I lied smoothly "Used to catch Redfin Perch by the bucket load on them when I was a kid" (cleverly smudging my fib with a bit of truth). He wasnt going to catch anything anyway. I say that confidently because I had the second best lure ever made on my leader and if that culvert held any kind of barra he was going to eat my Mr Twister double tail long before eating anything out of a Kmart pack lol!

I flicked a back hand cast under the road. The Mr Twister arced beautifully an inch from the bridge landing far side of a pylon which ensured the retreive would be straight through the only likely strike zone in a small patch of fishable water. Sink, lift, lift, twitch, sink, lift, lift, twitch, sink, lift, lift, twitch, and suddenly....it was back at my feet with no barramundi, just an apologetic look on its stoopid jig head.

Three more casts convinced me that the culvert was devoid of barramundies. I started back to the old white Hilux preparing my excuses when Tristan said "Hang on dad..I just tied this on." "Yeah go on mate..." I replied "...its good practice".

While he went down to try and throw his little celtic under the bridge i decided that the situation called for nothing less than the Best Barramundi Lure Ever Made! I pulled out the diamond encrusted gold box, lifted its lid allowing the golden light to pour forth and reverently lifted the Nilsmaster Spearhead in the Bleeding Mullet Colour from its bed of silk.

"Im on"

"Huh?" I said admiring the subtle lines of the magnificant spearhead...how it caught the light just so....

"Im on Dad Im on!"

"WTF! Seriously?"

He was too! A great silver baramundi thrashing the culvert to a puddle with a stoopid spinner hanging out of its gob. Not for long. Tristan wound in his empty line and held up the little celtic forlornly...two hooks dead straight.

"I'll get him" I declared stamping down the bank weilding the best lure ever made. It took just twenty to thirty casts for me to realise that the fish was spooked and probably in Timor by now. I never got a touch.

Tristan returned with re-bent hooks and oddly enough on his first cast hooked up again!! Go figure. The barra busted him off. Curiouser and curiouser. To anyone watching they may have gained the impression that the spinners were out fishing the best lure in the world. This of course is ridiculous and not at all possible.

"I got another one" he said breathlessly. Five minutes later he was back with a smaller red mepps spinner looking tweeny on his forty pound leader. Thirty seconds later he was on again. This time he got it in. A beaut 70cm chrome barra. I knew that it was a retarded barra because otherwise it would have taken the best and second best lures but by gum I think I've found the third best!

Well to cut a long story.....I chased up the biggest spinner I could find, a Mapsa Deva-4 and sent away for a handfull. When they arrived I took off the stoopid hooks and put on something that would stay bent. Then I took the stoopid body off it and replaced it with a 6mm socket. A couple of serious beads, some solid split rings and some red wool to simulate injury and I had what I thought might work on a bazz.

Did it what. Every time I went out it out fished every other lure in the boat. Sometimes ridiculously so. The spinner seemed to be able to entice strikes from barramundi that you would swear were comatose with the usual lures. Something about the hum of the blade...you can feel it through the rod...just got them all reved up. whatever, they work. My fishing buddies all started using them. they ran me out of them!!

They are not for every situation....you cant work them through snags...but for still water fishing, either fliicked or trolled...you should have one in the tackle box. Not the gold box. Or the platinum one.....remember its only the Third Best Lure Ever Made.

Anyone else tried spinners on barra?

PS If you are in the territory its effeminate to polish lures with brasso......cut and polish compound or scraping with the back edge of a hunting knife is acceptable.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Its not a crisis unless there is blood around.
If there is blood around......well its a police matter...
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Tribute to the Third Best Barramundi Lure ever made!!

Post by ronje »

Mud

Congratulations on one of the best posts I've read. Great style.

I've used spinner baits for barra in freshwater with success in CQ. The ones with a wire frame that look like a combine harvester coming through the water.

Must admit that I've never used one like the one u made up. Will give it a try and report back.

regards
Ronj
Regards
Ronje
Pecheur
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Pecheur »

Hey Mud,

Nice to see you back in grand form!
:wink:

Yes I used this type of spinners a lot as a kid.
For Pike and Zanders.

(It is actually part of my master plan to try to bring back a few from Europe next time that I will be there).

If you look at the Mepps web site, they have some video with the action and noise that this type of lure are making under water.
And you understand why fish would be attracted to them in calm waters.
Mepps also have a model used to fish for Chinook Salmon, and they go over 50kilos, so this lure should work for Barra...

Is this the next big thing on the Barra scene?
:lol:

Have a good day,
Pecheur
maxpower
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by maxpower »

Nice post mud, That should go in the next NT Mag. Its a ripper.

I have never even entertained the thought of using a 'stoopid' spinner for barra. And there you go proving them to be the third best lure ever made! :shock:

I can see sales of spinners going through the roof in NT tackle store this week now (if they even stock them?), just in time for the upcoming culvert season!

Cheers mate.

:drinking1:
seafarer
Seadog
Seadog

Post by seafarer »

great post mud give the little one a pat on the back
"hold on "
ponyplay
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ponyplay »

Hm interesting mud, looks like il be bringing sum ol hogbacks back up from down south around christmas. Now they where the greatest redfin lure ever made so wat will tey be like on the barra ????? :|
seano
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by seano »

What a great read!! I actually thought it was fiction at the start. Makes you think- maybe vibration is more important than we think- may be attach a spinning blade to the front of a hard bodie??
sarrge
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by sarrge »

Great post Mud, good you see you back online - sleepless nights finished already??
I used to have a handle on life.......then it broke.
Pecheur
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Pecheur »

seano wrote:- may be attach a spinning blade to the front of a hard bodie??
I used this as a kid and it was really great on Pike.
But my spinners were silver or gold.

Have a good day,
Pecheur
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
punter
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by punter »

Used Celtas on reddies and trout for years....love 'em!

If you want the biggest spinners mud then chase up some aeroplane spinners like we used to use for cod.......about 25-30 cm long!

have a look here

http://www.fishvictoria.com/member-foru ... lies/37677
Ricky Bobby: Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said..."I'm too drunk to taste this chicken."

Talladega Nights.....
2rods
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by 2rods »

Mud...can I please have my 6mm socket back....you said you needed it to fix the car and would drop it back the next day???????
:cheers:

2RODS

Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm.

If I can't be a good example, then I will just have to serve as a horrible warning...

As John Wayne once said:

"Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid."
Banjo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Banjo »

yeah go the areoplane spinners! they are huge with a massive trebel out the back. Also you can buy willow and colorado blades with a swivel on the front and a small wire spring that you can screw into any soft plastic you want. i have used them on a few slick rigs, attatched right at the end of the tail and also hanging off gulp shrimp and they can be deadly
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

could you up load a photo banjo? be much appreciated if you could
Dick
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Dick »

Trout spinners for barra :? Another example of the decay of morals once held dear to all. I'm sensing the hand of Lucifer in all this. :shock:

:D
Regards Dick
ajbear
Seadog
Seadog

Post by ajbear »

Great read Mud
Geez after reading this I might have to dust off the Tray of redfin/yella spinners (celta's, hogbacks, ondex) that have been tucked away in the bottom of the wardrobe since I moved up here few yrs ago! May need an upgrade on the hardware though.
Just remember if all else fails "try like F##K" !!!!!!!