South on the big neaps

Jewies, big reds, macks & more - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
grumpy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

South on the big neaps

Post by grumpy »

Mid November saw me and old mate plan to hit the South Alligator for the dead neaps for a few days. We left Humpty at 0430 to catch the small high tide taking 2 boats. Arriving at the ramp just after 0600 we found the tide already running out making the first 10/15 K’s a bit of a pain dodging sand bars as my GPS track for the South had somehow been deleted. :banghead: :banghead:

First drop was for a jew just before the low in the main channel inside of Field Island. We both bagged out on average size (7/8 kilo) jew in no time at all and left them biting. It was now time to go chase snapper out on the rubbly bottom on the outside of the Islands. :mrgreen:
With the tide turned to slowly run back in small fish came on the chew but nothing worth keeping so all were returned to the water. Mid afternoon with the tide now half way back in and a monster storm building out in the east all hell broke loose with good goldies starting to come over the side and horse size (60cm) Ock Ock’s. :applause: In no time at all the goldie bag limit was reached and we decided to run for cover before the storms belted us in open water. We hid up in the shallows and cleaned fish while the storm blew itself out. This is when we were reminded how cunning the old crocs can be, when from nowhere a 4 meter beast came up right next to the boat and waved the carcase of 0ne of our Ock Ock at us. I have seen them show off like this before waving the fish and chomping on it right in front of us before taking it into the mangroves to eat it, only to return a short time later looking for more prompting us to move on. :shock:

Dusk saw us trolling Brookes as the tide was dropping trying our luck for a few Barra. We managed 4 fish between us with only one keeper a nice little 60cm chrome job. We called it quits for the day at about 2100 and set up for the night out on the mudflats to cook a feed and sleep. :catch:

That night the storms were on the horizon but spared us from rain keeping us cool with a light breeze blowing all night. Daylight saw us trolling the dropping tide inside Brookes when I hooked up to a monster fish but it didn’t jump just dogged it out down deep I had my suspicions and was right as it turned out to be a big Stingray that I must of jagged while bouncing the lure along the bottom. :uhh: We did manage a half a dozen more Barra the best being only a 65cm model.

As the low tide approached we decided to head for home a day early as we had our limit of goldies, jew and a nice feed of barra. Heading up the South on the low gave me a good opportunity to plot a new track into the GPS for future trips. :idea:

Only down side of the trip was having to skin fish when we got home (slimy snot job that makes zero sense) :moon: :moon:

Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

A mans boat is a sign of his strengths and weaknesses???? (and wealth)
Pecheur
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: South on the big neaps

Post by Pecheur »

Hi Grumpy,

Sounds like a great time with some good fishes.

Have a good day,
Pecheur
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

great fishing mate! Those big ock ocks are good fun when you can find them! Sounds like you have the mouth of the south wired! :applause:
fishfanatic
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by fishfanatic »

Well done Grumpy and Co :clap: :clap: . Hopefully I and two others will be heading there in three or four weeks.
'Take me drunk, I'm home"
Unknown

"Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth".
John F. Kennedy

"The first principle of a free society is an untrammeled flow of words in an open forum"
Adlai E. Stevenson

"We are willing enough to praise freedom when she is safely tucked away in the past and cannot be a nuisance. In the present, amidst dangers whose outcome we cannot foresee, we get nervous about her, and admit censorship".
Forster, Edward

"Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear"
George Orwell

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
by Anonymous
Chriso
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Chriso »

Nice one mate. :clap:

Good when you go home early because you've bagged out, not because you've been rained out. :mrgreen:
Dingo
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog
Location: Used to be Melville Island, now a crappy mainlander

Post by Dingo »

Thanks for the report Grumpy, sounds like a good trip. Pitty no bigger barra around
dirtyruiz
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dirtyruiz »

Nice report, good fish. A great variation of species