Help a dummy on sails .... PLEASE

If you are into billfish, this is your home.
ponyplay
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Help a dummy on sails .... PLEASE

Post by ponyplay »

Ok im going to try and target these buggers for the first time when it fire up. Now alot of the questions i may ask will most liklly be stupid to most, but the head line says it all. Any help will be appreciated greatly :mrgreen: And hopefully i look foward to doing a post when i nail my first hopefully :D

My first question is should i learn how to rig gars in the off season or is there artifial lures that will work just as effective ?

And when trolling do you always need set of eyes on ya lure or baits ?

:mrgreen:

Faulksy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Help a dummy on sails .... PLEASE

Post by Faulksy »

PP livies work a treat if you can find concentations of sails.
Otherwise try switch baits, But you need to watch your teasers if you go this way so you know when you have a fish in the gear.
Skip baits are very popular but I have not tried them yet, you would need to watch them too to see when they get nailed.
Lures do work but it seems a bit hit and miss as far as hook ups goes from what I can see.
ponyplay
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ponyplay »

Cheers faulksy for the tips, but will i be hung and cruiserfied by the fishing purest if i nail one on a livie. I hate uppsetting people, can you eat them :rofl:

Joking :mrgreen:
Webby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Webby »

not that i know of mate, hooking them on livies is the most fun i think because they launch from the water right at the back of the boat. If you cant find a bait bal then i think skipping gars is the best way, but yeah keep an eye on them as some times they need some convincing to actualy swollow the bait. Lures work but the miss ratio is quite high. where are you fishing out from? good luck mate
max
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by max »

Skipping gars are too east to rig but catch ya own as theres only cr.p in the shops here & its certainly best if you spot a billy before it has a go at your baits.I think you need way more Billfish than whats out here before you fish livies as you cant cover enough ground but the biggest thing is if you go chasing Billfish stick at it dont do a couple of hours then go bottom bashing,just my 2 bobs worth,
Faulksy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Faulksy »

Cant really see the Differance between skipping dead bait, switching dead or live bait and towing live baits. Its all bait. As mentioned above there is no point towing baits until you find a concentration of fish, but that should not be to hard off Broome.
The way sails feed makes lure trolling a low % option. If you do want to tow lures I reckon soft headed pushers would be the way to go.

Look forward to seeing a post with some big broome sails :catch: in it. :cheers: Pete
ponyplay
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ponyplay »

Thanks for the advice guys :mrgreen:
i moved over to broome for a bit of a look around and sea change and maybe try and get rid of the barra bug that was taking my life over :rofl:
Well f..k me its sat and iv been to the fishing shop three times today, i need help im a sail addict and aint even tried yet :D
Pete i hope i can do sum good post in the future :mrgreen: i luv fishing new areas :D
Webby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Webby »

Faulksy, the only diffrences from my experience is that with skipping gars you can go faster than trolling livies, so you can cover more ground and find fish if they are scattered. also I found that sails are more likely to inhale a livie where as they tend to play a bit with the dead baits. switch baiting is something i have only tried once and from what i can tell you need a pretty switched on crew.
Faulksy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Faulksy »

Webby wrote:Faulksy, the only diffrences from my experience is that with skipping gars you can go faster than trolling livies, so you can cover more ground and find fish if they are scattered. also I found that sails are more likely to inhale a livie where as they tend to play a bit with the dead baits. switch baiting is something i have only tried once and from what i can tell you need a pretty switched on crew.
I have never been game to try switch baiting either, but as above you would need a switched on crew. Probably be easier from a boat with a fly bridge/Tuna tower for spotting fish. Dont think the GS could handle a tuna tower :lol:
double haul

Post by double haul »

Go join the bfc mate all the info you will ever need is there. The boys n girls there have catching them down to a fine art. 1 place i can recomend though is find out where the PEANUT is, this place is like sail city but with 20kg+ models there.