Shoal Bay Saturday 16th Oct.

And jacks, salmon, jewfish - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
maxpower
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Shoal Bay Saturday 16th Oct.

Post by maxpower »

Well after a long dry season/build up for me I finally got out for a decent crack at a barra. Ive found it tough on the billabongs this year in June/July so its all saltwater for me now I think

After being away last weekend I was looking for a good option and was very undecided what to do on the small tides. Decided to make a plan for Shoal Bay and did some homework on GoogleEarth and came up with a plan which we stuck to. Headed over early with the rain/mozzies and even lightning harassing us at Buff Creek. Put the foot down and made it through the channel easily on the 3.9m tide. I reckon 3.5m would not be an issue for my boat now. So that was good to learn.

Headed over to a creek and got a few prawns in the cast net so threw them out. They were slammed straight away every cast by small stuff and I managed a nice little 30cm goldie and nice 41cm flathead. I used to eat flathead a lot down south so decided this one was going home with us. Will cook it up tonight. Pushed up the creek trolling Xraps and bombers without any success. Spotted some birds feeding in a nice little gutter there so headed over for a flick. First cast my Olive Xrap got tailed by a big bow wave in the shallows. Was awesome and I think I panicked a bit and it never struck my lure. Damn. A few more flicks along the bank in the deeper stuff and he was back for more and finally I had a barra on the end of my line. My mate Dan sorted out the net and in came a beautiful 72cm chromie. Hi five. Straight into the esky. Dinner sorted by 9am time for a change of plans. Headed out to the mouth and trolled around for the next few hours. A few good hits for Dan but no luck for me. Put on a small 2m Tilsan lure in red and white and first past it got slammed by a fish. It felt good...very good and stayed deep. I turned the boat side on and without getting any slack and braced myself for the tussle, when my line just went dead. Must have only just hooked it as the lure came back fine. Gutted I have a feeling it may have been the big one Ive been chasing forever.

Great day on the water, saw a few nice barra caught and a few forum members were out on the water. Rammers was there beerless for some reason (hope the XXXX Gold tasted good) and saw Slappers boat cranking the tunes with the JewieQueen, and I got to meet CB out there with NathanL and Lincoln which was good. Headed off fairly quickly with the storm coming in and made it back as it started pouring down. Copped it again later back at the skiclub for a beer it was some serious rain.

Also learnt how to make a barra look bigger in the photo. :wink:

Cheers :drinking8:

MP
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Pecheur
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Shoal Bay Saturday 16th Oct.

Post by Pecheur »

Nice fish, you can be happy with that!
:mrgreen:

Have a good day,
Pecheur
ponyplay
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ponyplay »

nice trip and post :mrgreen:

looks like bandit give you a few tips on photograhy as well :D
sorry bandit could not help my self :fu: :mrgreen:
NathanL
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by NathanL »

maxpower wrote:... and I got to meet CB out there with NathanL and Lincoln which was good.
:mrgreen: :drinking8:
always good to catch up with other FFFers on the water.
Well done on the Barra maxpower.
max
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by max »

looks like a great day out & sounds like youve got Bandit sussed its all about angles :shock:
bandit

Post by bandit »

good post mate. looks like a nice dinner fish too :mrgreen: good to put a face to a name/boat :mrgreen:
that storm in the morning was a ripper.. there were 3 or so boats at the top of the ramp, the ppl in their cars, thunder, lightening, pissing down, looking at us thinking you mad bastards launching in that.. haha.
picked a good time to come home too, started pissing down just as we were leaving buffalo.. 8)
i went back solo today max, deckie got on the p..s last night, boat was hooked up and loaded, so i thought frig it im going anyway, i knew the fish were gonna be there.. got a 95cm for my efforts.. :D

max/pony.. the angle of the dangle determines the sag of the bag.. :mrgreen: brag mat dosnt lie boys. :fu:

ive got half a dozen slappers for the season and a heap of fish in the 80's... i better not post them incase im holding them wrong :wink:

:drinking1:
maxpower
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by maxpower »

Well done on the 95 cm CB.

I couldn't go back Sunday in the end but I was thinking about it all day. Was wondering if you got onto any. Good to hear you did there seemed to be a few big ones hanging around. Shame about your deckie blowing out :drinking5: . I hate it when that happens. My brother used to burn me on occasions. Fishing solo can be good but the launch/retrieve part is a bit of a pain in the :moon:

Ill be out there the next two weekends as well.
NathanL
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by NathanL »

coroboreebandit wrote:....
max/pony.. the angle of the dangle determines the sag of the bag.. :mrgreen: brag mat dosnt lie boys. :fu:
Neither does the shoulder girth hey? :jester:

Gotta love shoal bay.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dirtyruiz
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dirtyruiz »

Good work mate I was beginning to wonder if you were ever going to catch a barra again - see you out there on sat
ozdodge
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ozdodge »

Well done MP!

must say I didn't like your chances - just goes to show that I know FA! ;)

cheers
ozdodge

Don't crowd me - I'm likely to bite!
ponyplay
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ponyplay »

ive got half a dozen slappers for the season and a heap of fish in the 80's... i better not post them incase im holding them wrong :wink:

:drinking1:[/quote]

Well id be guessing you would be talking about the slappers you hunt down the beachfront, and dont kid ya self bandit those big slappers would be holding you down in the sack. :o :moon:
No brag mat could measure those ones :jester:
rammers

Post by rammers »

Nice work MP, was great to see you had a fish on board!! Thanks heaps for the can, i was sulking so badly about dropping that barra, my bad skippering! The can did taste well but the vodkas were better at th ski club!!

Nice work bandit getting onto a few out there! Missed seeing you guys there!

Next time ill pack beers, what was i thinking????? Too many wines friday night gives a foggy head.....
Dingo
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog
Location: Used to be Melville Island, now a crappy mainlander

Post by Dingo »

Top stuff MP, Sounds like a few FFFers out having a crack anyway.
Richieboy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Richieboy »

Good stuff MP. Out there 2day, got an 88 and a 70 and a few rats. Dropped a few bigguns as well. Howard was firing nicely in the timbers. Finally learnt a bit about the place. Only taken me 2 years. LMFAO!

Richie
Mad KEEN!
bandit

Post by bandit »

funny pony :naughty: i recall a funny story last time i saw you at the beachfront about a month ago.. i was out the front waiting for a taxi around 2 with another fffer, and there is old pony up the road abit... it wasnt a slapper he had his arm around... i would call that a whale shark mate.. :lolpoint: