Yet another Manton barra

Barramundi, saratoga, sooties and more. For dam fishing, use the dam forums below.
Matt Flynn-
Seadog
Seadog

Yet another Manton barra

Post by Matt Flynn- »

Darwin's Chris Errity writes: "Here is a photo of my 6 year old son Sam with
his first barra caught in Manton Dam last Tuesday. He hooked the barramundi
on the first troll at around 6.30pm on a Classic 120. The barra put up a
good fight and at 70cm was a great fish. He also hooked and lost another
good fish on the next troll. All his dad could muster up for the trip was a
40cm model caught later in the evening."

Matt Flynn publishes the North Australian FISH FINDER biennial fishing map book and writes a weekly fishing report for Darwin's Sunday Territorian newspaper
jonesy-
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by jonesy- »

I had my first look at it last night.Nice looking place. It was refreshing to fish somewhere again where I didn't have to worry about being eaten from some large animal in the darkness.
Last night was very dark,so things were quiet.Spoke to two others,they didn't get anything either. I'll be back out there on the full moon in a fortnight though.

I wonder how the downrigger would go in those depper sections? Saw a few big arches on the bottom in a lot of places.Might be worth a try
Matt Flynn-
Seadog
Seadog

Manton

Post by Matt Flynn- »

Try the rocks to the left of the boat ramp on the other side from the boat ramp (about 500m from ramp) in the no-ski section. Fish right on dusk with soft plastics. I reckon the shallow, weedy side of the dam is worth exploring more - plenty of saratoga there - I saw a big dead barra there recently. I've seen the deep fish arches too but they never seem to hit the lure. Sometimes they hang over the big rocky point on the way to the dam wall, but no bites for me. Other times you seem them on the surface near the boat ramp. Don't forget to leave no valuables in your car. There's some bigguns in there but they are fickle.
Matt Flynn publishes the North Australian FISH FINDER biennial fishing map book and writes a weekly fishing report for Darwin's Sunday Territorian newspaper