Bigger barra off Darwin this year

And jacks, salmon, jewfish - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
Matt Flynn-
Seadog
Seadog

Bigger barra off Darwin this year

Post by Matt Flynn- »

The average size of barramundi in Darwin Harbour seems to be a little higher this year.
One of my favourite spots in East Arm usually yields fish from 50cm to 60cm, but this year the fish have been mostly over 60cm and some more than 70cm.
There have been a couple of metre barramundi taken from the harbour in the past month, and Shoal Bay has been producing plenty of 80cm to 90cm fish - although SHoal Bay usually produces bigger barra than the harbour.
Got One's Craig Grosvenor said October was big fish month around the foreshores.
"The bigger fish usually start biting now - for example you get plenty of 60cm barra off the Dundee rocks in the dry season but in October you start seeing the big female fish coming in,'' he said.
"I would like to know where the big ones go during the dry season - I suspect they move a little way offshore.
"Now is a good time to chase the big ones - the only metre barra I ever caught in the harbour was in Hudson Creek in October."
If you believe you have a seen a trend in local catches send a comment to [email protected]

Matt Flynn publishes the North Australian FISH FINDER biennial fishing map book and writes a weekly fishing report for Darwin's Sunday Territorian newspaper