Secret Women's Business 2010

Public and private club events - results and battle stories. And any other club news ...
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Secret Women's Business 2010

Post by Matt Flynn »

PRESS RELEASE: 2010 Secret Women’s Business Challenge

September 10-12 2010 will see picturesque Corroboree Billabong, two hours drive south-east of Darwin, play host to at least 85 anglers. A busy few days on the water in anyone’s language, this weekend’s swarm of fishos is, nonetheless, a little different… for this is the one weekend in the year when Corroboree Billabong gets caught up in “Secret Women’s Business”!

Every year, this usually tranquil billabong on the outskirts of Kakadu transforms under the laughter and chatter of scores of women vying for the biggest or the most barramundi, saratoga and tarpon.

‘Secret Women’s Business’ is an all-female barramundi fishing tournament run by the Palmerston Game Fishing Club.

Tournament Co-ordinator, Jackie Dynan believes it’s possibly the only one of its kind in the Territory. “SWB is different to other women’s fishing tournaments in that men are not allowed to participate in any way—not as skippers, guides, advisors on the water—nothing.” she said.

“The Tournament is all about the girls getting out amongst it, building their confidence—both in themselves and in their sport. It’s about developing better skills and just having loads of fun,” Mrs Dynan told us.

The invitation-only event pits boat-based teams of 2-4 women against each other to catch the biggest and most barramundi, with saratoga and tarpon also scoring, albeit lesser points. The tournament is scored on photographic evidence as all fish are released back into the wild.

This will be the first year that the women will fish under new “barbless treble” rules, increasing the challenge on previous years, whilst improving participant safety and fish wellbeing.

The 29 teams in this year’s field are competing for over $25,000 in prizes.

Mrs Dynan praised the Darwin business community. “Support for the Tournament has blown me away. Local business is so supportive, it humbles me to work with such generous people.” Major sponsors are Darren’s Barra Fishing Safaris, Reidy’s Lures, Creative Light Studio and Hidden Beauty with notable support also coming from Boab Boat Hire, Fingers Aluminium, BH Marine, LJ Custom Rods and Creative Jewellers.

“Without the support of businesses like these, unique events like this would not get off the ground. We can’t thank them enough.”

Now in it’s fifth year, the Secret Women’s Business Challenge aspires to be the premiere all-female barramundi fishing tournament in the country.

Fishing in the lead-up to orientation day has been tough going, with the normally reliable billabong producing very few fish so far this year. Only time will tell whether the girls will pin a big one during the one and a half days of competition time, but one thing is for sure… whether the fish bite or not, Corroboree Billabong will ring with laughter come September 10.

Contact Jackie Dynan: email [email protected] or 0457 396 085.

jonr
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Secret Women's Business 2010

Post by jonr »

so... I was at corrobree on saturday and I think most of the ladies are still too hung over to post a report of the comp.
grumpy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by grumpy »

Come on the results are a bloodaaay secret didn't you know. :rofl: :rofl:
A mans boat is a sign of his strengths and weaknesses???? (and wealth)
localgirl

Post by localgirl »

Yes you are probably correct there seadog!
It was a great tournament - but hard work on the water!
Results are released on Saturday
Hats off to the organisers who took the step to introduce a barbless rule this year!
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Released on Saturday? That's a bit odd. Are all comp results going to be released on Saturdays in future :lol:

Does anyone know who the winners were? Send me a PM if required :D
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Just been told I can't get the results until the presentation. My concern is that the Saturday release means I can't get the results into the Sunday fishing page until a week later - and that's two weeks after the event :-(

(EDIT - Been sent the results for this Sunday's paper - many thanks)
punter
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by punter »

localgirl wrote:Yes you are probably correct there seadog!
It was a great tournament - but hard work on the water!
Results are released on Saturday
Hats off to the organisers who took the step to introduce a braless rule this year!

fixed it for ya! :angel:
Ricky Bobby: Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said..."I'm too drunk to taste this chicken."

Talladega Nights.....
localgirl

Post by localgirl »

Look forward to the read on Sunday matt ;).
Seadog - are we talking from
Crocs' perspective here?
localgirl

Post by localgirl »

Braless or barbless .Oh one more thing seadog. Can u catch a metery with barbless lures?