Buying your track logs

North Australian FISH FINDER TM is printed again in 2024.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Buying your track logs

Post by Matt Flynn »

To all FFFers ...

If you plan to do some extended trolling over neap tides I am willing to buy sounder/GPS track log data for mapping purposes, as I can import this into DrDepth and merge it with my own data to make detailed maps.

This system does not have to give away your secret spot, it is simply making better, more detailed charts of well-known reefs and rockbars.

All you have to do is start a new track at the spot before you start trolling, and then save the track when trolling is finished, before you move on.

If trolling one area for an extended period it may be best to save several tracks.

It's then easy to export track log data to SD card. I know it is easy using Humminbird units, and I am sure saving tracks on Lowrance would be easy.

If you know how to use the sonar recording feature on Humminbird units I can use that data too, however the files are much larger.

Here's how to make and save a tracklog ...

1. Save your old track logs to SD card and then move them onto your PC or elsewhere to keep them safe as back-ups.
2. Tidy up the tracks on your unit - delete any you don't need. This is because bad data can be recorded if the unit's memory becomes full.
3. IMPORTANT: Set your unit so it records a track point every one metre.
4. Go fishing, and start a new track right at the spot, and save it before you move off. Save several tracks if trolling a long time as too many track points in one track may create problems.
5. Use your plotter to ensure you have covered the reef fairly well. Partial data is still useful however.
6. Export the tracks to SD card before turning the unit off.
7. Take the card out and either use your PC to grab the track logs and email me, or drop the card in and I will copy the data.

It sounds complicated but is very easy, and requires minimal effort on the water.

It is a great way to earn money, because I will pay good cash for good track logs, and it will easily cover your trip costs.

I can only use track log data collected on neap tides (best in calm weather) unless you have Dr Depth software and a laptop connected in your boat, which compensates for tidal movement around major ports such as Darwin.

Areas of interest are ...

1. Anywhere around Darwin - Six Mile grounds, Charles Point etc
2. Dundee's Long Lost etc
3. Fenton Wide
4. Out front of Bynoe
5. All river rockbars (can be done in an hour as a rule)

I will pay extra for special projects where you map a whole small reef or large rockbar.

I am doing lots of maps myself but obviously I can't go everywhere so FFF help is invaluable.

PM me if you have questions or leave them here.
Last edited by Matt Flynn on Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blinky
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Blinky »

Want any of the Daly or Finniss?
Blinky

Find us on Facebook: Blinky's Lures
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Yes Blinky, but I need the rockbars in full, eg you would have to do each bank either side of the rockbar and some laps of the rockbar to get the whole thing, but you may have that simply from trolling.

But if the track logs just show where various rockbars are they would be valuable too as I could get accurate GPS off them.

Let me know more detail about what you have and I'll make an offer :mrgreen:
Blinky
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Blinky »

Matt,
I have both tracks and a route from around the Banyan Farm to past Clearwater and the same for the mouth of the Finniss. I don't know if you'll be able to lift the info you require from them.
Blinky

Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Probably can get the info easily enough Blinky :mrgreen:

Anyone who has track logs taken while trolling Dundee wide can send me an email and make an offer :mrgreen:
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Still buying track logs. Need a couple more contributors on the East Coast too :mrgreen:
Blinky
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Blinky »

I'll send them through.
Blinky

sheps
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by sheps »

do you want any from around elcho island and north west croc island.
i dont know how to drive my HDS8 properly yet but it is an excuse to learn.

:grin:
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Gday Sheps

You can send me a log file or two and I'll process them and send them back as LCM maps you can use on your unit.

I don't know if I need any Elcho stuff for the FISH FINDER but I am keen to look at the data and am happy to supply a map ot two.

Any data supplied will not be shared or given out without prior agreement.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

FISH FINDER is still buying track Lowrance log data or Humminbird sonar recordings, if you have a Humminbird unit or a Lowrance with an SD Card slot it is simple to record it while trolling etc.

Anyone who goes trolling is a perfect candidate.

I have some East Coasters on board but can always use more, email me at [email protected]

A Pilbara or Broome boat or two would be handy, there's some non-secret reefs out that way that need mapping.