Muddies in Bermi river?

jersy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Muddies in Bermi river?

Post by jersy »

Just returned from a visit NSW south coast for a wedding. Brother in law baffled me by catching mud crabs up in the Bermagui river tidal reach. I had assumed muddies were tropical dwellers. I'm trying to get hold of the photos to post up. Anyone heard of them been down that far before?

Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: Muddies in Bermi river?

Post by Matt Flynn »

Someone's Bermagui muddie video ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXf-2Ivx6i0

Not sure the history of muddies down that way, but marine life is moving south. Warm waters from the EAC push down the East Coast past Tassie, and the ocean is getting warmer.

In WA muddies have been caught as far south as Perth ... https://www.perthnow.com.au/news/fishin ... 881072226z

I have attached a sea temperature image from today, it shows warm water flowing down the east coast and past Tassie.

They have caught dolphin fish (mahi mahi) off Port Arthur in years past. Tassie now produces big catches of KG whiting, pink snapper and kingfish, even in the south. These were rare catches not so long ago. Tassie has also lost much of its kelp forests in recent years.

I've also attached a global sea temperature graph showing the current record setting sea temperatures and acceleration of the temperature increase in just two years. The world is changing.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jersy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jersy »

Good bit of info, Matt. Cheers. Totally unexpected though.
Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Just saw a post someone catching muddies at Merimbula.