Follow up mission, flicking for flatties Part 2

passenger279
Seadog
Seadog

Follow up mission, flicking for flatties Part 2

Post by passenger279 »

So the recon mission (http://fishingterritory.com/nsw-f10046/ ... 31144.html) gave us a good idea of what was going on around the racks and creeks and got us excited for a potential flat head fest a couple of days later.

Weather prediction was the goods and we were greeted with blue skies and crisp air on glassy river.
cold start.jpg
Being creatures of habit and not that inventive we headed straight for our spot from a couple of days before.
1 setting the scene.jpg
Things were looking good with bait jumping and water moving but things didn't seem as hot as our earlier mission. We persisted with the same techniques, flicking the structure in the shallows and slow retrieving along the bottom, but other then a couple of undersize flatties we were struggling a bit.

We'd landed a couple just under legal when old mate comes over from across the river and asks us if we'd mind helping him with a photo, after he lifted this beauty up and swam her back to good health our arms became instantly rejuvenated.
old mate flatty.jpg
We finally gave up on the tried and tested and headed from the 1 - 4m area of our racks into 6m + of water and on the first cast I was rewarded for our overdue change of tactics.
flatty heaven.jpg
first good one.jpg
Things hotted up and over the next hour every second cast turned into a solid strike, we thought we were onto a couple of good flatties when these 2 come aboard with head shakes and little runs on the 6lb gear.
mull softy.jpg
mullaway.jpg
Time was running out and last cast after last cast ended in solid hits and a heartier dinner.
good one.jpg
another good one.jpg
and another.jpg
As much as I love visiting the relo's and mates, eating flatty fillets and actually being able to swim in the ocean; 12 degree starts, 16 degree drizzle in the middle of the day and wearing a jumper and jeans in the middle of summer will keep me up north for some time to come.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Lats
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Follow up mission, flicking for flatties Part 2

Post by Lats »

Some nice lizards there mate. My personal favourite softie for flathead is 65mm squidgy fish in black gold
passenger279
Seadog
Seadog

Post by passenger279 »

Squidgy wrigglers for us Lats, in Banana I think and the rod with the lightest line and leaner definitely done more damage.
Mud
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Mud »

Great report J. Looks like nice fishing country and no shortage of action!
Its not a crisis unless there is blood around.
If there is blood around......well its a police matter...
bushie
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by bushie »

Lovin' the flattie reports. Keep 'em coming