Van Bruggens Dream - build it and they will come

Rumour has it that some FFF members are spearos. It's time to come out of the closet.
BarraBeast
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Van Bruggens Dream - build it and they will come

Post by BarraBeast »

went for high speed troll accross the artificals at lee point today - was hoping for some late build up Mac's then get home in time for work- but not one strike.

oh deer, had to go to plan B - don the stinger gear and go for a sniff along the bottom. problem was the suit had been wet from the last time out over a month ago and rolled up under the front hatch, peuwwww!!!! what a stench! :shock:

spent an hour(not on 1 breath hold, I wish!!)stalking 1 lonely jew around the bottlewasher, but couldnt get a shot. Hit the VB's Dream after that - didnt have trouble finding it, covered in a cloud of bait fish and decent size snappaz! had a look inside but it was gloomy and i got scared :shock: :wink: did a dead drop(no finning) in behind the stearn and found a nest of Jewies! yeehaa the big ones did a run for it :banghead: but the smaller schoolies stood their ground and I managed to pluck one off.
Then 3 large rock cod came out of the rear hatch as I acended having a closer look at the small jew on my spear, Rick nailed the smallest one! yee haa fish for tea. Rick got a 4kg snapper on his last dive so we called it a day.

The bigger fish were hanging around the stern. There's a nice cave with slack water for them to hide between the keel and the bottom.
When we were floating the wreck out there to be sunk, we all commented on how front heavy it was. Bad design fault if you ask me. But being front heavy has worked wonders for the fisho's. the bow is down into the sand and the arse is sticking up like a gay beached whale.

:chef2:
Last edited by BarraBeast on Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"in chemistry, Alcohol is a solution! "
2rods
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by 2rods »

Wel it didn't take too long to get fish living on it BB...

Might have to stop off there on the way home tomorrow :catch:
:cheers:

2RODS

Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm.

If I can't be a good example, then I will just have to serve as a horrible warning...

As John Wayne once said:

"Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid."
shauno
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by shauno »

I hate that wet wetsuit smell and having to crawl into it when wet. I used to do a lot of surfing in Tassie growing up 3.2mm in the summer 4.3mm in the winter. After a surf I would just chuck the wetsuit in the boot of the VK Commordore and most times only pulling it back out in howling winds and rain for the next surf, alot of the times that same day. Thinking back now it was torture, but at the time I wouldn't have wanted to be anywhere else.
Night Stalker
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Night Stalker »

Good report BB. Great news that there are good fish on her already.

Im going fishing in SA at Christmas for the pink snapper in the gulf and some of the good fishing spots there are dumped car bodies from some years ago. There are no shortage of car recks so maybe we could load up the barge and push them off the back as it goes though the Vernons.

If only it were that easy hey.
I contend that where you fish is the
most important factor in catching fish.
BarraBeast
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by BarraBeast »

shauno wrote: a lot of surfing in Tassie
yeah makes you feel alive 8-)
BarraBeast
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by BarraBeast »

Night Stalker wrote: no shortage of car wrecks
providing the shell is clean of contaminates, I agree with you. The powers to be believe they wont last long enough(at least that what i think is the go) and that sinking them is akin to 'sea dumping'

anyway - like you say there are heaps of them and they are modular - ie they can be sunk one at a time using smaller craft to do so. like a small barge. it would only take a few trips and you'd have the current reefs built up.

I'll continue this post in the reef makers thread. :idea: