Jew fish - now you see em, now you dont

Rumour has it that some FFF members are spearos. It's time to come out of the closet.
BarraBeast
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Jew fish - now you see em, now you dont

Post by BarraBeast »

Earlier in the year there were jewfish turning up in the outer harbour. It's been 3 months or so and haven't seen squat.

here's one from April drift diving the channel out from west point.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"in chemistry, Alcohol is a solution! "
Mud
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Mud »

yeah BB Ive noticed a distinct lack of Jewie tales since about April. And the usual haunts seem to be jewnuded...... Did anyone see where they went?
Its not a crisis unless there is blood around.
If there is blood around......well its a police matter...
harmsey
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by harmsey »

yep the jewies are on holidays for sure :|

anyone catching em in good numbers :-?
COOPS
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by COOPS »

def on holidays... i fished a few spots at dundee where we nearly always pick up a couple for zip! Put in some solid time too so not sure what's happening with them at the moment.
Pecheur
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Pecheur »

Hi BarraBeast,

When you spear fish a fish like that, does it pull like made once speared, or not?
As compared to when hooked on a line.

Just curious as I haven't spearfished since I was kid... Long time ago, and they were much smaller fishes...

Have a good day,
Pecheur.
back-cast
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by back-cast »

COOPS
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:01 pm Post subject:
def on holidays... i fished a few spots at dundee where we nearly always pick up a couple for zip! Put in some solid time too so not sure what's happening with them at the moment.
Not on Holidays,, I'm tipping they have been netted,,
they were thick out at Dundee this year untill

Kon"Kill'n'Fillet" Vatskalis
let the Barramundi netters back out in Fog Bay, they net Right along the coast catching heaps of jewfish in their nets,, and they just don't pick a few from the school they get the whole school,,
they wipe them out in One foul Shot of their Nets,,, get your emails in people
COOPS
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by COOPS »

yes unfortunately i've heard the netters have been in close there. out of all the area's they can net why do they need to pillage areas like that
back-cast
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by back-cast »

COOPS
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:49 pm Post subject:
yes unfortunately i've heard the netters have been in close there. out of all the area's they can net why do they need to pillage areas like that
The answer to that is......
Because they can mate,, simply because they can....
And

Kon"Kill'n'Fillet" Vatskalis,

Continues to permit them to do it,,, no research or thought was put into the incidents that went on in Fog Bay,,,
I took many of the pictures and no one has asked me any Questions in relation too the huge number of sawsharks and marine life, that was killed despite my many warnings and reporting of incidents,,
In fact we got told if we did not leave the matter alone we would be charged for
"Interfering with a commercial fishing operation"
So make of that what you will,, but that's why they do what they want because apparently if you report these things you are in serious risk of being charged yourself,,
I'm only telling of my personal experiences here
BarraBeast
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by BarraBeast »

Pecheur wrote:When you spear fish a fish like that, does it pull like made once speared, or not?
As compared to when hooked on a line.
same as a hand line form the surface. they go balistic and try to reef you on anything they can. you get towed aroung a fair bit which is all pt of it. i dont spear them for fun, they are for the dinner table. so i quickly and humainly dispatch them on the surface, and after 1 jewie i call it a day and usuall dive with the camera for some pics.

later
Pecheur
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Pecheur »

Wow that sound great.

But I would be too afraid of the Crocs to dive around Darwin...
That might have to do with not growing up, up here...
:wink:

Have a good day,
Pecheur
jarrah jack
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by jarrah jack »

Hey BB Thats good spearing in anyones book, similiar to getting a good kingfish down south. What sort of depth were you getting them in? Could you see them from the surface or did it take a few exploration dives to figure them out?
BarraBeast
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by BarraBeast »

jarrah jack wrote: What sort of depth were you getting them in? Could you see them from the surface or did it take a few exploration dives to figure them out?
are you crazy? :jester: see them from the surface! no way Hoseáy. The water is too dirty but that can work in your advantage sometimes as you can hang onto the bottom and wait for them to come in for a look or to mill around the bait fish.

what everyone may find interesting is we've never seen jews when the water is clear on the really good tides. It's always in the murky spring tide water.

also, if there's a massive groper hanging around a wreck or cave. you tend not to see them.

It's funny how you can be out near the pinnacles(for example) in the harbour and you can hear them chatting away to each other but never see them. they must see your silloette and swim off a bit. :banghead:
jarrah jack
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by jarrah jack »

Yer very crazy owning two boats and all. And used to diving in 60 ft vis.