Big Wednesday

Rumour has it that some FFF members are spearos. It's time to come out of the closet.
BarraBeast
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Big Wednesday

Post by BarraBeast »

we all know I enjoy donning the lycra suit and having a bit of rummage around on the bottom of ocean. Found myself down deep on Wednesday - we chased a massive school of Jewel fish from one end of the reef to the other. managed 2 each, biggest was 9kgs, last 3 were about 6 or 7.

First 10 dives were painful, too much partying over xmas so the breath hold was difficult. But after a quick hurl everything came together.

Bit scared of the crocs migrating this time of year and the viz is cr.p in close to the harbour anyway. :fishy:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"in chemistry, Alcohol is a solution! "
Faulksy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Faulksy »

Nice fish BB. Cant say I blame you with the croc's I would be looking over my sholder pretty reguarly. Much happier staying in the boat up here. :mrgreen:
punter
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by punter »

Do you have any hassles with sharks after you spear the fish?
Ricky Bobby: Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said..."I'm too drunk to taste this chicken."

Talladega Nights.....
harmsey
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by harmsey »

on ya beasty, ya mad bastard :cool:
BarraBeast
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by BarraBeast »

punter wrote:Do you have any hassles with sharks after you spear the fish?
people ask me this all the time. 50% of the time not really. But they can be thick as thieves especially outside the harbour. Around the harbour you can expect the odd large(ish) hammerhead to come in from no where and steal a speared fish. As they can hold their breath longer than me they can have it. Occasionally there are packs of bull sharks. like the Cas boyz they are small in size big in numbers and want something that's not theirs. Some time they cruise on the bottom slowly and dont seam interested. The rest of the time they lower their lateral fins and change depth constantly. thats when we get out of the water. around Bass reef and bynoe they take fish off your float. So we tend to get the fish into the esky as fast as possible. I have a great photo of one at the side of the boat with fish and rig line in it's mouth. It was grabbed in a head lock but still didnt want to let go.

It's proper spearing ettiquite to ward off sharkies that are after your mates spear.

Extra large Groper have taken jewies off a mate of mine and they have proven to be unstoppable taking our hardware as well.

I've seen Tigers but I like to keep that quiet incase my missus reads the forum! Tigers would be a threat to the her guy that mows the lawn! :rofl:
BarraBeast
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by BarraBeast »

here you go Punter - is it a Waler or Bull or big black tip?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
4x4xfar
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by 4x4xfar »

Nice catch BarraBeast, I am also a keen Free diver/Spear fisherman, but I am yet to make up my mind on wether to sell my diving gear before I move to darwin, or bring it with me and try to get some local knowledge about safe diving in the Territory.
I'm not usually concerned about sharks unless they are behaving erratically or as big as my boat! :grin: My problem is the Crocs.

Are Crocs common in the open ocean?

I've seen a few of you free dive but im not sure if that's because it's safe or because your all bl..dy crazy! :rofl:
SMITHY
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by SMITHY »

awsome stuff bb and 4x4 they free dive because their bl..dy crazy :grin:
They say time is money, I dont have much money cause my times spent fishing
BarraBeast
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by BarraBeast »

4x4xfar wrote: wether to sell my diving gear before I move to darwin, or bring it with me
Are Crocs common in the open ocean?
keep your freediving gear for sure. it's a buzz to dive the WWII wrecks in the harbour. I'm gonna p..s myself laughing the day I freedive while there are scuba divers on the same wreck, gonna sneek up on them and tap em on the shoulder! :rofl: would had to leave the gun in the boat though :|

crocs are migrating this time of year and have been seen swimming in the open ocean from time to time. I saw a BBC doco where alot of young male crocs leave the big rivers systems and travel to Bathurst/Melville and down the west coast. :|

It's a big sea but if it really worries you, then we can take turns spotting from the boat.
BarraBeast
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by BarraBeast »

SMITHY wrote:because their bl..dy crazy :grin:
it helps to have a few screws loose. I'm addicted to seeing the sea life down there up close. it's facinating. After a while you stop dreaming about how you'd love to have an extra set of eyes in the back of your head, and just get on with hunting fish for dinner.

:mrgreen:
4x4xfar
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by 4x4xfar »

I might have to hit you up for a dive trip once up settled mate, i'll just tell the missus I'm nicking down the pub with the boys!

She reckons drinking p..s with me mates is safer than diving in the Territory! I dunno sometimes! :rofl:

What sort of ground and depths do you cover BB?
flicker
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

crocs

Post by flicker »

On the subject of migrating crocs , we passed a good size one this morning out in the middle of the harbour between cullen bay and mandora on our way out to charles point.

Cheers Flicker
you don't know if you don't give it a go
NathanL
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: crocs

Post by NathanL »

flicker wrote:On the subject of migrating crocs , we passed a good size one this morning out in the middle of the harbour between cullen bay and mandora on our way out to charles point.

Cheers Flicker
Prob the same one i saw this morning cruising from east arm to the middle of the harbour, i was anchored on the Zelandia and he cruise by to our north side, prolly 2.5/3mtr, quite a sizeable one.
BarraBeast
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by BarraBeast »

4x4xfar wrote:What sort of ground and depths do you cover BB?
wrecks and reefs from 2m to 24m. your welcome to come along. no fluro suits though ok! :wink:
slug
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by slug »

Do you free dive to 24 meters BB :-? :o

What sort of bottom time do you get at that depth? (& so much for safety stop on the way back up that my dive instructor rammed down my throat all those years ago :uhh: :rofl: )