Decoys

Chasing pigs, buffalo, duck and geese. And deer, foxes, feral cats, rabbits ...
mippa
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Decoys

Post by mippa »

anyone have a crack at making there own decoys for goose hunting? if so post some photos of them. i like the look of the 3D foam ones you can buy but at $150 for 5 i'd rather try make some out of ply and some paint.

Gibbsy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Decoys

Post by Gibbsy »

Making some up this weekend mate
shaggs
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by shaggs »

From memory Doug has made some up
The past is history,the future is mystery,the moment is a gift and that's why it's called the present
shaggs
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by shaggs »

But don't rely on my memory LOL
The past is history,the future is mystery,the moment is a gift and that's why it's called the present
mippa
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mippa »

yeah i remember doug told me he made some . fella at work's son made his in wood work at school and said they work fine. i just printed some photos of one standing and one feeding onto A3 paper for a stencil then thinking of using thin ply and just some spray paint. prob rub some mud onto them to dirty up a little too i think. i was going to use tent pegs to help them stand but guys at work said he cable tied some welding rods to it. recon ill be able to make a few for cheap.
maaaario10
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by maaaario10 »

Hey Mippa, I've got five of the foam decoys from field & game australia. I like em because they're easy to lug around the swamp and don't get damaged by pellets when you're decking any wounded birds. They are pretty expensive though and you could make some decent decoys up with some timber and paint for 1/4 of the price.

I use the geese in my black duck decoy spread and it works a treat. Nothing better than fooling a bird into landing right in front of you (bit like lure fishing). I reckon you'd need 10 or more of the geese decoys to attract a flock of honkers down.
slug
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by slug »

A mate bought a box of these :- http://www.fga.net.au/magpie-goose-fold ... /i1052487/ - FUD's (Fold Up Decoys). They literally do fold up into nothing, but man are they realistic. From 50 meters with the sun setting on them, couldn't distinguish between the FUD's & the real thing!!
mippa
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mippa »

thats the field and game ones slug. they are awesome ive used them before but like you said at sunrise i doubt they will be able to tell a crappy wood one. i'm gonna have a crack making them friday night and ill post some photos. something to do now there isnt footy on at night.
Sacky
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sacky »

Yep the field and game ones work alright. Ive had ducks & geese land in the spread on multiple occasions.
mippa
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mippa »

Took about 30mins to cut them out. Wasn't being nice about it so not the best. Made 14 but could have got a few more if I took time to do it properly. All up just under $50. Letting my mates paint the rest when they come round cos they recon I did a poop job haha. Made these standing ones them feeding ones as well. What do u think? I take criticism well so don't hold back.

See how they go Tomoz
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bellfish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Bellfish »

I wanna sit with you if your taking them
shaggs
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by shaggs »

Should get plenty of old honkers with those ,the ones that missed the deal at specsavers LOL
They should do the job for you mippa
Let us know if they make a difference
ken_dog
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ken_dog »

goose.png
hmmm......they might fool this fella :|
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mippa
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mippa »

Ended up with 2 geese. Think the decoys worked. They were definitely flying towards them but I had some mates that were standing in the open right behind them so they would see them n turn off. Need to make the legs a tad longer too to make them stand up higher.
mippa
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mippa »

Ended up with 2 geese. Think the decoys worked. They were definitely flying towards them but I had some mates that were standing in the open right behind them so they would see them n turn off. Need to make the legs a tad longer too to make them stand up higher.

Hahahaha cheers for support ken :fu:

Return to “Hunter”