Bowhunting Darwin area?

Chasing pigs, buffalo, duck and geese. And deer, foxes, feral cats, rabbits ...
Sconik
Seadog
Seadog

Bowhunting Darwin area?

Post by Sconik »

G'Day all,
Used to do quite a bit of bowhunting when I was younger down in South Oz. Mainly targetting rabbits, hares, foxes and ferrel cats. Haven't really had too many opportunities since then apart from the odd outing up in the Snowy Mountains. The PSE compund bow has been in the cupboard for a long time now gathering dust so I figure it's time to upgrade to a new bow and get back into it again now that I'm potentially surrounded by opportunities in Darwin.

I'm currently overseas for another couple of months yet, but plan to have the new Bowtech Guardian sitting there waiting for me when I get home. Having never done any hunting in and around Darwin, I was hoping that someone might point me in the right direction to get into some pigs to start with.

I'm told there's also several species of deer to be found in the Territory too.

Cheers,
Scotty

meter_seeker
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by meter_seeker »

Shane compain is into this style of hunting does a fair bit himself, if your in tackleworld have a chat with him he might let you in on some info. :mrgreen:
So unhappy i sold my jennings bow package after one use, needed the dough at the time. Want to get back into it, i hear there's a growing community of bow hunters now sconik, i'll get onto some links around town and let you know as im interested myself :mrgreen: .
Image Image
fishfanatic
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Bowhunting

Post by fishfanatic »

Sconic,

Go and join the Top End Bowhunters Club on Bowhunters road at Howard Springs. They're a good mob of blokes and they will be having their annual Daly River hunt on The August long weekend as they do every year.
They have a great range and hold regular testing comps...very much a family environment with many getting their kids involved.

Paul, :smile:
'Take me drunk, I'm home"
Unknown

"Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth".
John F. Kennedy

"The first principle of a free society is an untrammeled flow of words in an open forum"
Adlai E. Stevenson

"We are willing enough to praise freedom when she is safely tucked away in the past and cannot be a nuisance. In the present, amidst dangers whose outcome we cannot foresee, we get nervous about her, and admit censorship".
Forster, Edward

"Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear"
George Orwell

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
by Anonymous
Petto
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Petto »

Top end bowhunters are the go was a member about 8 years ago thats where i got my start.
Work to Live, dont live to Work.
whomper37
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by whomper37 »

Like you Sconik I use to hunt at least once a week 2 or 3 if the Deer were in the rut... Not fired a shot in Darwin, Fishing has been keeping me busy.... Currently trying to get access to a couple of places at the moment so if your looking for someone to sling a few arrows around with send me a PM..

Cheers Jamie
Frodo, Dont wear the ring...........
The magical Bling, Bling..
I dont rap about bitches and ho's
I rap about witches and trolls.....
BEAR
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Bowhunting Darwin area?

Post by BEAR »

Sconik wrote: I'm told there's also several species of deer to be found in the Territory

there is a small population of sambar up coburg way and mary river station has a number of species behind a large fence if your into that type of hunting :| the species found there are Sambar, Javan and Molluccan rusa, red deer, chital(I think?), wild boar, wild scrub bulls, buffalo and blackbuck antelopes amongst others. I would say head to the Top end bowhunters like others have said :mrgreen: the annual club hunts to chilluc at the mouth of the daly on the wadeye side are great and now held twice a year :mrgreen: shitloads of grunters out there. you also have wandering archers in humpty doo and freds pass archers. A good hunting spot is harder to get than a good fishing spot mate so good luck.

BEAR
Sconik
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Sconik »

Cheers for the responses guys. :mrgreen:

The plan I think will be to go check out the Top End Bowhunters Club. My 10 year old is showing in inclination towards bowhunting too. Figure target shooting would be a good stepping stone for him. Weren't any archery clubs anywhere near where I grew up so I never had that luxury.

Next question is . . . . Can you hunt on crown land in the Territory? and do you need a hunting permit?

Bear,
Was checking out your bowhunting photos the other day. Some pretty impressive stuff there mate. Do you still get out much these days? Can't see myself paying the big dollars to go hunt. Incredible how much some people will pay to hunt the game reserves though. :-? :-? Sambar up Coburg huh. Are they escapees from a reserve? Wouldn't imagine they'd see a whole lot of hunting pressure up there.

Cheers,
Scotty
Sconik
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Sconik »

Whomper,
Did you get my PM? Just that I didn't get any indication that it was sent.

Scotty
goldfish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Bowhunting Darwin area?

Post by goldfish »

You can hunt coburg for banteng ,deer and boars n buff if u bring plenty of cash
Tight lines 'n' keep the shiny side up people.