bow hunting regulations?

Chasing pigs, buffalo, duck and geese. And deer, foxes, feral cats, rabbits ...
Davey D
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

bow hunting regulations?

Post by Davey D »

Gday fellas
im getting my brother to send up his compound bow and was wondering on rules and regulations for things like storage where you can hunt and in goose season are you allowed to shoot geese with a bow

The ones who fight for their beliefs are those who achieve their dreams.

Can we just take the warning stickers off everything and let natural selection take its place, I mean if its spinning fast dont put your fingers in it..... Its not hard

ARTE ET MARTE
fishfanatic
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: bow hunting regulations?

Post by fishfanatic »

Davey D wrote:Gday fellas
im getting my brother to send up his compound bow and was wondering on rules and regulations for things like storage where you can hunt and in goose season are you allowed to shoot geese with a bow
You dont need to worry about special storage requirements. A compound bow is not a "Regulated Weapon" therefore exempt from any special storage. A crossbow may be different..but who the wants a crossbow? :P
Hunting well you can hunt on either crown land or private property. Private property will require the permission of the landowner :| :mrgreen:
Geese I am about 98% certain you can only legally use a shotgun - no rifles or bows allowed...not only that but the chance of securing an anchoring shot on a goose is pretty difficult with a bow anyway for most people. :|

ps Be aware that for hunting geese a permit needs to be obtained in the NT.
'Take me drunk, I'm home"
Unknown

"Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth".
John F. Kennedy

"The first principle of a free society is an untrammeled flow of words in an open forum"
Adlai E. Stevenson

"We are willing enough to praise freedom when she is safely tucked away in the past and cannot be a nuisance. In the present, amidst dangers whose outcome we cannot foresee, we get nervous about her, and admit censorship".
Forster, Edward

"Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear"
George Orwell

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
by Anonymous
BEAR
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by BEAR »

In the territory you are permitted to hunt waterfowl with a bow under the same regulations as shotgunners.

http://www.nt.gov.au/nreta/wildlife/per ... wlfact.pdf
Davey D
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Davey D »

Thanks BEAR helped alot cant wait for waterfowl season to come again it might be hard to het one with a bow but i will try

Can we just take the warning stickers off everything and let natural selection take its place, I mean if its spinning fast dont put your fingers in it..... Its not hard

ARTE ET MARTE
DOUG
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by DOUG »

Let me know when you go out bow hunting for geese I will stay home imagine a arrow coming down ontop of you hahahaha bad enough getting showered in pellets
Davey D
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Davey D »

Haha arrow roulette just a question here but qhen hunting them dont you shoot them on the ground or are they only flying lol
the picture of goose hunting i have is stalking up onto a swamp and shooting them on the ground is that how it goes or what haha sorry hunting rookie here

ARTE ET MARTE
Turtle
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Turtle »

if you have a bow thats just asking for trouble shooting em out of the sky. Good luck with that!!! Alot easier and safer on the ground, might even be able to smash through a couple if you line em up.

usually most people with shotguns drop em from the sky, easy enough. I doubt you'd shoot one with an arrow thats flying unless your a pro or just plain arrsey.

Why not buy a shotgun?
Fishing in the top end isn't just a matter of life or death, it's much much more serious than that.
Davey D
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Davey D »

Cant afford a shotty and have no where to store it here either would love to get into shooting though gotta see how money comes along this year and yes i wont be shooting them out of the sky dunno if i will get any but as soon as the season comes im gonna try and will let you all know

ARTE ET MARTE
Turtle
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Turtle »

You can get some pretty cheap 2nd hand shotguns, good enough just for starting out and you can bash em around a bit and wont have to worry bout em looking spick and spam.
But yer then you just gotta get a safe aswell so extra costs there.

A guess with a decent bow you'll be able to get into some pigs and maybe buffalo aswell as the geese. I've always wanted to go bowhunting for pigs. One day when Im not fishing Ill check it out. One day..
Fishing in the top end isn't just a matter of life or death, it's much much more serious than that.
BEAR
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by BEAR »

Bow hunting is a great way to take goose DaveyD, I have tried all types of ways of taking them with the bow and what I have found to be the best way is to use small game blunts and shoot for the head or neck area while they are on the ground. you will hit them, break their neck or knocking them out so they are able to be secured and if you miss they can fly away unharmed.
You can use a broad head but if you miss the vitals they may go for a while with an arrow in them which isn't a good look. recently I have been using flu flu arrows which are a close range arrow designed to rapidly slow down after a short distance and have proved great minimising arrow losses in the swamp.
These tactics have worked pretty good for me over the years but for the best success you will be much better off looking for private location as it will be a real challenge competing with shot gunners and the geese will most likely be flying to high to wing shoot them which I have been arsey enough to do when they are flying low.

Davey D
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Davey D »

nice photo BEAR is a 60pound compound too much for geese if so i can get a 40pound recurve bow also from my brother

ARTE ET MARTE
BEAR
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by BEAR »

either one will be good for geese mate!
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

Im not sure about the rules these days as I havent been shooting for years but I am fairly certain that fowl has to be in the air when you shoot them or that used to be the rule. I know this because my old man got done a few years ago at howard reserve. He walked over a small quarry and it was packed with geese in a real tight cluster. He let 2 shots into the flock and dropped 22 geese. It was then that the ranger showed up and saw all the birds on the ground. My old man told the story to which he was told that the birds had to be in the air.

Not sure if that applies to bows or is still in effect.
BEAR
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by BEAR »

there isnt anything in the regs that lead me to believe that they have to shot while on the wing CC! I would need the document to show me this rule as I have never heard of it?
Manton mad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Manton mad »

For the coment about the crossbow why are they so bad i dont understand why so many bow hunters hate the idea of hunting with crossbows
fishing is my addiction there is no cure