Building Rods

Nobby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Building Rods

Post by Nobby »

Looking at building some rods again, I've dusted off the old rod lathe and alls good, still works. Only problem is that the last time that I build a rod I was in Melbourne, and it was quite easy to get supplies.

Does anyone up here sell rod building supplies, blanks, thread, guides etc or will it be a down south job?

Thanks

When your work speaks for it's self, Don't interupt.
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Building Rods

Post by ronje »

Hi

The Mudhole, Cabelas or Jans Netcraft in US.

regards
Ronj
Regards
Ronje
rossco
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by rossco »

I have been getting my hard to get bits from Rod Works ( www.therodworks.com.au ) in Adelaide. Ross has a website with rod building gear and fair prices. They provide a quick turn around and postage is very reasonable.

Gone are the days when you could get quality rod building supplies in Darwin. I went to every shop from Darwin to Coolalinga (didn't go to Palmo though) looking for hypalon and cork recently. Nothing ! Everyone buys rods off the shelf these days with good reason - cheap.

A good set of Alconite or SIC guides will cost up to a $100 for some rods and then there is the blank, thread, etc etc. You have to like doing it for yourself and for friends these days.

I always cruise the tackle shops when down south for discount blanks etc as it seems everywhere is is dropping building components. I picked up some great Kilwell blanks for less than $40 last trip. I got 2 barra graphs and 1 15kg jig stick for that price so I am nearly in front. I built a nice baitcaster for a mates 50th recently and have the other 2 nearly ready to go.

cheers
cjgp
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cjgp »

Nobby,

You doing this as a businness or for yourself? Asking because I have a rod i need some runners replaced on, I have a couple of names provided by this site, but I thought If your after some work and interested... no problems if you are not though

Regards

Chris
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ronje »

G'day Roscoe

With the Aussie dollar at 1.32 NZ u should be able to pick up Kilwell blanks cheap. I've got a heavy texalium and a lighter simple graphite from Kilwell that I made up.

Nobby
Unless u specifically want an Aussie distributer look up those I mentioned.
They have stuff that hasn't reached Aussie land yet.

regards
Ronj
Regards
Ronje
deepblack
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by deepblack »

Ronje, How was Mudhole on postage?
North Shore Reel Service 0400494401.