Building a rod

mullet93
Seadog
Seadog

Building a rod

Post by mullet93 »

G'day FFFers,

anyone out there had a go at making your own rod?
I'm keen to give it a go. Can anyone recommend a descent aussie site to order the stuff off?
Been looking at Motackle but would be good to compare a few others

cheers in advance :cheers:

Pecheur
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Building a rod

Post by Pecheur »

Hi Mullet93,

I remember once Rosco telling me that he used to do his own rods at one time.

What kind of rod do you want to make?

Have a good day,
Pecheur
cjgp
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cjgp »

Mate if my interent was faster I would do a search of this site for rod building. I think it was maybe Nikoniko who did some posts about where he buys his stuff and gets it at a good price.

I dont remember anything more than that though.

Its pretty fun stuff building a rod. I dont think I ever did one that had professional looking binding but I was a;ways impressed by how it went. Also all the prep, I am a cheap bugger ( I always have a really big moprtgage and a really small wage) so I made rod rollers from some ply and 2 x 4s and four wheels off a skate board and other cr.p. Recycled a motor off a BBQ to make the rotiserrie etc.

I also got to speak to lots of old hands at it (before google became my frined) and they give all sorts of good tips like how to file the front of the foot on the guide and how to pull the cotton under the last few loops etc...

Anyway have fun with it

Regards

Chris
mako
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mako »

Made several rods including rollertip gamerod, baitcast and threadline. Rod building is a dying art as good quality rods are available off the shelf for about the same price as the components. You can make a very cheap rod building jig using wood and cutting 'v' shapes on each support.
SteveB
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by SteveB »

Hello Mullet, I haven't made rods from scratch but have refurbished them after buying a bunch of them from the dump shop in 1988, and it was a great experience and I ended up with a bunch of great cheap rods that I still use (some of them) today.
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb

Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers. Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary. ~Patrick F. McManus
mullet93
Seadog
Seadog

Post by mullet93 »

Cheers for all the info guys

Pech, looking at having a go at making a light jigging rod
Pecheur
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Pecheur »

Hi Mullet93,
mullet93 wrote: looking at having a go at making a light jigging rod
Cool! :mrgreen:
Where your going to use it?

Have a good day,
Pecheur
steve i
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by steve i »

hi there ...there is a mob in S.Aus called The RodWorks it sells lots of rod building goodies and if you are really keen try a place called MUDHOLE in the states ....i have bought items from both places in the last couple of weeks .no trouble with either purchase
steve i
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by steve i »

hi there ...there is a mob in S.Aus called THE RODWORKS they sell most rod building supplies and if your really keen try MUDHOLE in the states .I have purchased items from both places in the last couple of weeks with no trouble with either transaction
sarrge
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by sarrge »

cjgp wrote:...... and how to pull the cotton under the last few loops etc........
It was this bit that woke the memory cells....... I remember building a bamboo beach rod in my younger days - yeah, showing my age.

Teamed it up with a big Alvey sidecast........
I used to have a handle on life.......then it broke.
mullet93
Seadog
Seadog

Post by mullet93 »

Pecheur wrote:Hi Mullet93,
mullet93 wrote: looking at having a go at making a light jigging rod
Cool! :mrgreen:
Where your going to use it?

Have a good day,
Pecheur
hopefully out at the Vernons and such. Give it a go on the trevors and macks out that way :mrgreen:
steve i wrote:hi there ...there is a mob in S.Aus called THE RODWORKS they sell most rod building supplies and if your really keen try MUDHOLE in the states .I have purchased items from both places in the last couple of weeks with no trouble with either transaction
cheers for that