Metre plus = shark food

A 'kill' sticker for each metre-long barra posted ... PM your postal details to Matt Flynn.
bushie
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Metre plus = shark food

Post by bushie »

I have been thinking. Recent articles in fishing mags regarding down imaging sounders, and bull sharks hanging around snags. I have seen a few half barra flapping away on the daly after being released. Reckon it's worth releasing any barra after a big fight? The big girls are buggered and would be an easy meal. Keep the big girls without the guilt? Not that I've ever caught a metrey. :? :?

ponyplay
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Metre plus = shark food

Post by ponyplay »

personal choice, i no id rather still release a big one if it only had a 50% chance of surviving.
I was at buffalo creek two build ups ago and when i was taking my boat out, at little car topper pulled up behind me with wat i would of said where three half backed meterys lying in the front section of a very hot boat.
This is only my view but to me that shows no respect for a great fish, id much prefer to see them try and survive even if it ment getting munched up.
Or maybe i was just jealous at there great capture and my cr.p day :cry:
Reslease them out of respect is my view :|
Reece
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Reece »

Unfortunately i have had the displeasure of such a thing happening to a 1.17 that apered to swim away o.k only to find it a short time later and remeasured at 91, ended up eating that rest but was sad to see it floating, next time we will swim her up on the sure for a while longer.
Rug
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Rug »

Makes you wonder the merits of targeting the big girls. I know loads get a kick out of it but is it in the interests os sustainable fishing?

Bushie's points are full of merit. Another consideration is the longer you spend with your hands over the side of the boat reviving a fish, you are increasing your chances of tempting fate with other preditors and encouraging them to approach boats.

The stress on the fish must be huge.
Smile and the world smiles with you, fart and your all alone.
seano
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by seano »

I think if you are targeting the bigguns use heavier gear and get them to the boat quick and back in the drink quick- best chance of survival for the girls.
bushie
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by bushie »

here's a pic of a big girl that fell victim to a bull shark on the daly last year
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bandit

Post by bandit »

what i have started doing when we catch meteries, the fish is netted, lure removed while fish is still in the water. other person gets the camera, wets the brag matt, and i usually have a towel in the boat and will wet it lay it on the floor. ect ect, have everything ready to go to minimise the amount of time the fish is out of water. last metery didnt have a towel, was middle of day, prob 35 degrees, ally deck would have been hot enough to cook the fish. ripped my shirt off wet that to lay it on. i dont bother doing this early morn or late arvo but middle of the day in the build up ya gotta. other thing i reckon is important, dont let the fish go in the middle of the river. revive the fish and put it back in near the bank or some snags. had plenty of fish sharked on the daly and there usually released in the middle of the river. as someone mentioned above a fish has more chance of surviving in the water than your esky. think of all those eggs getting laid by fish that get released.. bushie you might even catch a 120 one day that someone else let go at 100 u never know. :mrgreen:
stuart
Seadog
Seadog

Post by stuart »

They say its a good idea if ya can to motor up the river/creek about 50/100 metres and release near a snag if you can to give them a fighting chance to be away from the predators
grumpy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by grumpy »

Bull Sharks are def a pain even when you have just hooked up. :banghead:

Here is one hit on the Adelaide. :mrgreen:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
A mans boat is a sign of his strengths and weaknesses???? (and wealth)
Brad the Lad
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Brad the Lad »

so whats the go with filleting a fish that is now bitten in half. when it comes time for an inspection from fisheries, what they see is a small barra fillet.

i know you can roughly tell the fish size from scales. but sounds like more trouble than its worth.
fishing and beers,

wonder what the poor people are up to!!!
jonr
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jonr »

in that rare occation just leave it whole .... easy to see what happened :)