Big Fish Livin'!

A 'kill' sticker for each metre-long barra posted ... PM your postal details to Matt Flynn.
TinarooTriumph
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Big Fish Livin'!

Post by TinarooTriumph »

Earlier this year we had a period of fishing which can only be described as 'insane'!!! After 8mm of rain in 8.5 months (this is the tropics!), the rains finally arrived and created in-flows that sent barra & the bio-mass absolutely mad. For the month of February, and also a good bit of March, most anglers would have boated (or in our case bankfishing, landed) several big meteries - most in excess of 115cm & 20 odd kgs.

In total for the whole 'mad' period (Feb to the start of April), I was a part of 21 captures of fish with the smallest going 112cm whilst the biggest went a pretty creditable 126cm. 10 of the fish were landed by myself in a matter of 1 week. Days before the hot action started, good mate Mark Hope landed a 128cm barra which went 28kg's, though much stumpier fish weighed a good deal more. Well known writer Dan Bowater came along for a few trips with me and on his first trip to the dam in nearly 4/5 months landed a 121cm fish which went close to, if not over 30kgs and was built like a rubbish bin.

Anyway, I'll let the photo's do the talking! This will make you salties cream yaselfs!

Theo @ Tinaroo
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Theo Davis
Far North Queensland
TinarooTriumph
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by TinarooTriumph »

Few more piccies...

Fishing from the bank makes chasing the fish a lot of fun and takes away the chore of fighting fish around the boat/moving the boat. Its also better stealth and allows fish the chance to keep doing what they're doing... gorging themselves!

Best lures for the month included the faithful Bomber, Sarunas, shallow Scorpions and Classics, B52's, Tinaroo Lures and Leads. Most lures came back in less then perfect condition (lots of straightened hooks and opened rings). Soft plastics were also used but were not as productive as the hardbodz which sat better in moving water, while the softies (even the suspenders) were often swept away to quick or sunk like stones.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Theo Davis
Far North Queensland
2rods
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by 2rods »

bugger me that is awesome fishing....I don't know if I hate you or should worship you :twisted: :lol:

that is some great fishing right there :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:
:cheers:

2RODS

Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm.

If I can't be a good example, then I will just have to serve as a horrible warning...

As John Wayne once said:

"Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid."
Pecheur
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Pecheur »

And this is how Darwin lost half of its population... :lol: :rofl:

Have a good day,
Pecheur
Ben Jam

Post by Ben Jam »

Wow, that my friend is super impressive :applause: . Looks like that one spot of yours really does the trick.

Keep em coming. :mrgreen:

Ben Jam.
lincoln
Seadog
Seadog

Post by lincoln »

Great pics! :mrgreen: gotta love landbased fishing i agree makes it much more exciting! what sort of gear are using to haul in those big girls? 400,s loaded with 50 pound braid i woulda thought ha ha!! :catch: Did you manage to get any video footage of some of the captures? would love to see it.
cheers :drinking1:
Dingo
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog
Location: Used to be Melville Island, now a crappy mainlander

Post by Dingo »

Top Stuff Theo, that is a dream come strue to have session like that. I only wish I was there. 8-) 8-) 8-)
Poor Southy
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Poor Southy »

Imagine the feeling of aniticipation these fella's had on the way down to the water......

Great Pics, did you have any dry runs during that 4-6 weeks?
Mud
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Mud »

Not much to say really is there...the pics say it all!!
Its not a crisis unless there is blood around.
If there is blood around......well its a police matter...
Bullet
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Bullet »

That is awesome stuff Theo 8-) 8-) 8-)
I've heard of that sort of stuff from Tinaroo in the wet, great to see some pics, keep them coming. :clap: :clap:

Cheers bullet :mrgreen:
Cheers Bullet

I LIVE WITH FEAR, SOMETIMES SHE LETS ME GO FISHING!

DON'T NEED BAIT!
TinarooTriumph
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by TinarooTriumph »

Cheers fella's.

Pecheur - mate that got a good laugh out of me :cheers: you might have another Darwin-ite in me one day... who knows.

lincoln - Nah none of that 50lb cr.p where we come from. A 400 with 50lb braid... mhmm... sounds like Mr Starling to me :angel: Heavy braids are extremely over-rated for barra, or it may now have something to do with quality gear hitting the shelves... but 50lb is definite overkill even in the sticks these days! Once upon a time, yes. Alot of my fishing is done with 20lb Finns... heaviest I've ever used is 30lb and thats plenty. Tamed some decent salties with 20lb as well. Mostly use a 300 Curado DSV for cast/troll and also a range of spin set-ups.

Southy - we had 1 dry run during the whole period, though that trip we did drop two fish over the metre. As time went on there was a definite change in the amount of fish there and also the class of fish e.g. smaller sized models, though enough big-uns to keep things interesting. Overall in our trips we may have dropped another 7/8 fish, but thats how it go's in the fast water. And yes they were good days... the feeling of big fish before every session was a bit of a change to the usual feeling of having to cast a thousand times before a fish came aboard.

Cheers guys. This Horse Club is awesome... one of best things I've seen on any forum. Some bl..dy big salties on here... always good to see!

Theo
Theo Davis
Far North Queensland
Dick
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Dick »

lincoln - Nah none of that 50lb cr.p where we come from. A 400 with 50lb braid... mhmm... sounds like Mr Starling to me Angel Heavy braids are extremely over-rated for barra, or it may now have something to do with quality gear hitting the shelves... but 50lb is definite overkill even in the sticks these days! Once upon a time, yes. Alot of my fishing is done with 20lb Finns... heaviest I've ever used is 30lb and thats plenty. Tamed some decent salties with 20lb as well. Mostly use a 300 Curado DSV for cast/troll and also a range of spin set-ups.
'bout right even in the fast water. There's a bit of the trick to how you handle them as TT seems to have got the gist of.

Nice fish Theo............................for livebait :rofl:
Regards Dick
TinarooTriumph
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by TinarooTriumph »

Take back everything I said Dick... caught all those fish in the Ord, at the mouth to be precise. Tiny alright. Weren't even pulling drag in free-spool. Must be a W.A thing hey! :bricks:

Don't think I've asked ya this before mate... but what line do you run over there? Brought a Tilsan this morning, will swim it tomorrow. Fingers crossed.
Theo Davis
Far North Queensland
Dick
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Dick »

20 to 30lb braid Theo. Yes those barras would make a fine livebait for powertails, now there's a real quality fish :grin:

The Tilson wont let you down, might get smashed up a bit but it'll get you a fish :wink:
Regards Dick