1.07m barra

A 'kill' sticker for each metre-long barra posted ... PM your postal details to Matt Flynn.
Dreamrider-
Seadog
Seadog

1.07m barra

Post by Dreamrider- »

1.07 m barra caught by a bloke at Buffalo Creek Rockbar.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

On my way to catch a 1 metre barra... some day
:D
craigrachow
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by craigrachow »

frig me dead, well done
meter_seeker
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by meter_seeker »

Well he just f*cked the future stock of that creek :| . The sooner they bring in a maximum limit the better :grin: .
Image Image
drifter
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by drifter »

meter_seeker wrote:Well he just f*cked the future stock of that creek :| . The sooner they bring in a maximum limit the better :grin: .
Thats a bit harsh MS. Nothing wrong taking a big girl if you choose. It's your opinion you shouldn't, and thats fair enough, but don't ram it down everyone's throut. :banghead:

I strongly beleive 1 dead fish doesn't fcuk a creek (C/mon now). Should we shoot crocs & sharks for killing big fish. :idea:

Oh and it looks like it's bleeding from the gills, so I suspect it was fcuked anyway.

Anyway, I degress, What a great fish from shore :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Harty
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Harty »

Hi All,

Firstly, well done to the fella who landed that fish in a creek as flogged as Buff! :mrgreen:
Hey MS, I agree with you bout the maximum limit and all (to an extent) but do you reckon that fish was a resident of Buff Creek? :| I'm not so sure. Shoal Bay accounts for some pretty decent Bazzas - do you reckon she just came in on the tide from the bay? Just curious about your opinion.
From all the gill blood in the foter the fish looked like not surviving anyway, so the the bloke was right to keep it IMHO. Better it fed him and his mates than getting sharked or crocked. What does everyone else think about these maximum limits. Love to hear some feedback

:cheers:

Harty
Billster
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Billster »

Certainly agree about sending the big girls home to breed but we have all landed fish that are not going to survive the release.
The hard part is what happens when the Max size is introduced and you catch a Baz over the size and it is stuffed what do you do release it for the sharks or crocs or??

Sorry got of the track of the post gr8 fish, even more so from Buff Cr, a place so accessable for all even those without a boat or even 4x4.
Billy
"Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero" - Seize the day, trust as little as possible in tomorrow. (Horace)
or if all else fails
"C'est la vie"-Sh*t Happens
fff1964
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Yeah slot limits are the go

Post by fff1964 »

But putting a fish back that is going to die any way well.....................
All fish we target we treat as if we are going to relaese it any way ( barbless hooks enviro net general fish care) then if you decide to keep one well OK and if you don't then they have a good chance of survival.

Don't eat fish but i thought the eating quality lessend with the bigger girls.

Cheers.
jonr
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jonr »

I got a 102 at the same spot, my self - it is actually a very constant land based spot for big barra... I must have lost 5- 10 big barra there before i finally landed that one...

I have found at night time in buldup it is very productive when you have a low tide justing starting to come in about 3-4am - and don't be afraid to use big heavy sinker to hold your bait to the ground. the barra will still smash them...

the bigger the mullet the better :mrgreen:

jonr

I must say, I did keep my first one over meter but now the rule in my boat is if is it over 95 it goes back... :mrgreen:
double haul

Post by double haul »

After a build up in broome fishing the telegraph pool nearly every 2nd weekend it soon becomes frustrating catching only fish under 55 and over 80cms. Anyone that knows me can say i hardly eat fish but salty bazzas do get killed n grilled once in a blue moon. In my boat i dont tell my deckies what to do with there fish, only that we obey bag limits. Be fu*cked if im going to lose my boat and car over some fish filets i could buy very cheaply. Hears another 1 ive heard a few times, once the big girls get to a certain size they stop breading and to leave all the big fish in a system will cut down the smaller recrutes every year leaveing a small population of fish over all. Just a bit of food for thought. :mrgreen:
meter_seeker
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by meter_seeker »

drifter wrote:Thats a bit harsh MS. Nothing wrong taking a big girl if you choose. It's your opinion you shouldn't, and thats fair enough, but don't ram it down everyone's throut. :banghead:

I strongly beleive 1 dead fish doesn't fcuk a creek (C/mon now). Should we shoot crocs & sharks for killing big fish. :idea:
Sorry if it seemed harsh but thats my opinion and i'm entitled to it. A picture like that is always gonna voice both negative and positive respones. The death of a breeder :| or the triumphed result of cracking a meter.
Image Image
meter_seeker
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by meter_seeker »

Harty wrote: Hey MS, I agree with you bout the maximum limit and all (to an extent) but do you reckon that fish was a resident of Buff Creek? :| I'm not so sure. Shoal Bay accounts for some pretty decent Bazzas - do you reckon she just came in on the tide from the bay? Just curious about your opinion. From all the gill blood in the foter the fish looked like not surviving anyway, so the the bloke was right to keep it IMHO. Better it fed him and his mates than getting sharked or crocked. What does everyone else think about these maximum limits. Love to hear some feedback
Sure its a possibility, but how would you know for certain :-? Only way is by a GPS transmitter :idea: . Otherwise your assumption is as good as anyone elses.
I'd be bleeding to if someone sliced me at the neck... :lol: , as for the maximum limit id like to see it set at 100cm. Its clearly obvious that it will boost the fishery as it will be law!!! so you have no choice to put it back, unless you wanna break the law.
Image Image
bandit

Post by bandit »

well that looks like it was a nice barra. well done to the bloke who landed it - land based as well :croc:

think its important around shoal bay/darwin harbour to let the biggens go. lots of pressure from anglers. seen that many 90's and meters necked from shoal bay over the years it isnt funny. a fish like that from the bay is worth 20 from tommy cutt. If you wanna neck meteries go fish there or the back of the tiwis :lol:

anyway good on ya for posting it up. its certainly made for some ''éntertaining'' discussion.

:drinking1:
Mud
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Mud »

Hi Dreamrider.....thanks for putting up a pic of this great fish.
Lads usually catch big Barra in buffalo by swimming a livey that they throw netted earlier over the rock bar and usually towards the far bank where it is slightly deeper. This is done during the first rush of the incoming tide so your window of opportunity is only an hour or so. I cant advocate live baiting so I would suggest doing the same with a heavily weighted soft plastic. Go downstream from the rock bar and throw over it so that your retreive will keep it in the strike zone for longer (current going left to right on an incoming tide). I dont fish this rock bar because fish like this are not too common (actually I should say that days that fish like this are "on" are not too common) and you can put in a lot of time till you get the right tide and day.
Fishing at night reduces the crowds but also, once the first rush of the tide has come in go to the ramp and flick soft plastics around under the light...the baitfish gathering there will usually attract a good Barra or two!
Also, soak a crab pot while you are doing all this!

Cheers
Mud
Its not a crisis unless there is blood around.
If there is blood around......well its a police matter...
Dreamrider-
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Dreamrider- »

Very true Mud, the barra was caught during the start of the fast incming tide, and was caught on a plastic. We saw the guy work the plastic lure towards the sand bank (which can be seen during this tide) and then he got the fish.

The fish was bleeding from the gills so it wouldve been dead by the time it was released back in the river... no point feeding it to the crocs wen it could feed a family !
On my way to catch a 1 metre barra... some day
:D
Moonman
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Moonman »

Nice Fish! Could have done with one like that for the comp... looks like i'm gonna have to bust my ass again this month! :moon: