Which hook to use?

If you are into billfish, this is your home.
jonr
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Which hook to use?

Post by jonr »

Last time I went for sailfish a dropped a lot - this time and am going to try a shorter drop back, less drag and different hooks.

Which one in the photo would be best? Last time I had a 5/0 owner (the thinner gauge one but with the off set eye)

Thanks
Jon
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DOUG
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Which hook to use?

Post by DOUG »

this weekend we tried circles big j and small j hooks
we had gut hooks gill hooks tail hooks and straight through the back hook ups
1 out of 3 of the circle hooks ups was in the hinge of the jaw 1 in the throat gill area and another up above the eye with a circle
1 j hook had to be cut off rather than try and mess with the fish for to long trying to remove and the rest where all removed
i personally think we had better hook up in the mouth area using a small j hook i think a 5o saltwaterfly gamakatsu hook rather than the 10o gamakatsu
an still missed at least 3 hook ups with the circles that should have been fish !!!
one brand of cirlces is the green owner circles you have there i dunno the other brand i just bought a heap of them think they were 5 and 6o sizes
stormboy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by stormboy »

I use 7/0 inline(must be inline) circles. Never really had a noticeable issue.
Kp NT
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Kp NT »

The demons are nice and thin, but dont put to much drag pressure on em because they can bend pretty easy.
The tournament legal owners are good, use in line hooks to minimise gut hooking and you got to be patient with the fish let them stop before you up the drag and dont strike it, let it hook it self.
I couldn’t repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder.” - Steven Wright

"If you want to maintain a sustainable supply of fish you have to farm the fish, rather than mine them. So putting your money into fishing fleets that are going to exacerbate the problem by over-fishing is not the way to preserve the underlying asset."
Maurice Strong
doors off
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by doors off »

John, I took Frenchy from the Tacklebox out on my boat last Friday. He knows a bl..dy a lot about catching Stickfaces. We used J Hooks and they were the Gamakatsu Saltwater fly hooks, I forget the specific sizes, but they worked a treat. He is the man to speak to. He is very helpful and willing to share his knowledge. Not sure if you are out Palmerston way or not, but pop in and see him buy a couple of packs of hooks and you will better than well armed with the equipment and knowledge.

Cheers,

Doors Off
Save the Tuna - Eat a Dolphin!
Swoffa
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Swoffa »

I am definitely no expert in the matter but have just switched over to the Owner SSW in-line hooks in 5/0 and got 2 from 2.

I have been using other circles including the other Owner, Mustads and Gamakatsu but was losing everything. J hooks might be the go...just look at the results from Doug from the weekend.....but the SSW are my preference from now on.

Cheers

Warren
What angler can cross over a bridge without peering over its side
jonr
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jonr »

thanks for the reply guys - i will see if i can drop in to see frenchy
2rods
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by 2rods »

I use the same.. Gamagatsu saltwater fly in 10 from memory ... Strong enough for most of our bill fish and thin enough to penetrate easy...

doors off wrote:John, I took Frenchy from the Tacklebox out on my boat last Friday. He knows a bl..dy a lot about catching Stickfaces. We used J Hooks and they were the Gamakatsu Saltwater fly hooks, I forget the specific sizes, but they worked a treat. He is the man to speak to. He is very helpful and willing to share his knowledge. Not sure if you are out Palmerston way or not, but pop in and see him buy a couple of packs of hooks and you will better than well armed with the equipment and knowledge.

Cheers,

Doors Off
:cheers:

2RODS

Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm.

If I can't be a good example, then I will just have to serve as a horrible warning...

As John Wayne once said:

"Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid."
NT pirate
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by NT pirate »

Ditto Kp NT, in line circles only to stop gut hookin and forget a count and striking. - each fish is different, freespool for as long as it takes for the fish to stop or it detects the hook and jumps or takes off (unless of course it doesnt know its hooked and the bl..dy thing comes up to the back of the prop and sits there) then bring the drag up. Plays with your nerves waiting for it to stop as it can take ages. We've always had a high success rate doing it this way.
DOUG
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by DOUG »

I think with the with size up here it is pretty hard small baits they will engulf and be gut hooked even with circles and to big of a bait and they don't seen to eat the bait well enough to sink the j hook
Bring on some broome sails in July :) :)
nobby018
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nobby018 »

for light tackle marlin fishing these are the only hooks you need..thin in gauge and strongest of the lot..
doors off wrote:John, I took Frenchy from the Tacklebox out on my boat last Friday. He knows a bl..dy a lot about catching Stickfaces. We used J Hooks and they were the Gamakatsu Saltwater fly hooks, I forget the specific sizes, but they worked a treat. He is the man to speak to. He is very helpful and willing to share his knowledge. Not sure if you are out Palmerston way or not, but pop in and see him buy a couple of packs of hooks and you will better than well armed with the equipment and knowledge.

Cheers,

Doors Off