Still kicking around....

If you are into billfish, this is your home.
deepblack
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Still kicking around....

Post by deepblack »

Thanks Jeffish. Glad it helped and good luck with the hunt, North Gutter is good in the buildup, there are some huge fish out there. Find the upwellings at the North Western end of the gutter and go from there. I started running a 40-50cm Queenie skip bait on the 24kg to make sure I had something the bigger fish would like to eat in the water, the flash works as a teaser for the smaller fish in the meantime.

Matt, The Huon rocks for Sea Runners. Not long until the start of the season. The stretch downstream from the first RH bend after the bridge to the first LH Bend with the big snag on it rocks for the Sea Runners they sit in between all the big timber on the deep bank on the left hand side. Running small minnows over the top of the timber produces results on an incoming tide pushing lots of saltwater and whitebait.
The 39 were on fly (6) and berkley T-Tails. Soft plastics rock for trout in timber. Probably do well in the Huon too!
Cheers,
John.

North Shore Reel Service 0400494401.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Cheers John, that info is gold. Heading down there this week - a bit early but will have a look around.
deepblack
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by deepblack »

The first week of Sepember usually signals the start of Searunner season in the Huon. The first run of whitebait will happen after a period of no rain around this time so that the salt pushes right up the river bringing the bait with it. I have fond memories of one particular day where I boated 18 fish between 3 and 10lb in an afternoon on that stretch of river. It's been a while since I was there but I can't see that the structure would have changed much. If you go and have a look before opening day make sure you have no tackle in the boat fisheries down there don't have a sense of humour at all. Spending a day marking structure with no distractions would pay off later I reckon.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

I think the river below the bridge is open all year but I'll double check. A 10 pounder eh? That's a two-gumbooter!

Neighbour was telling me his brother lost a possible 20lb fish down the Lune River years ago. Good to know there is a chance of a barra-sized fish.

I appreciate the tips once again, they will be put into use.
deepblack
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by deepblack »

Been catching a few lately, here's my PB Sail from a couple of weeks ago.
IMG_1557 (Medium).JPG
IMG_1562 (Medium).JPG
IMG_1574 (Medium).JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Agent86
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Agent86 »

nice sail John, well done

Hopefully will be a few more around here soon, been a bit scarcer this year!

Good stuff
If there is water and it holds fish, then it is fun trying to fool them into eating what you offer!!

Especially when you can see them!
jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jeffish »

congrats on the PB John ,,,good pics and report ,as always :mrgreen:

Doing a run tomorrow night and hitting Nth gutter on the way in sat morn ,,,packed the teassers this time :D

cheers
Jeff

Return to “Marlin & Sailfish”