Solo man watching birds.

If you are into billfish, this is your home.
double haul

Solo man watching birds.

Post by double haul »

Well another weekend another story to tell. I had BIG plans to chase a few donkeys on a river somewhere, but with the wind chill factor being at brass monkey level that got scraped. Sat morning rocks up n ill be stuffed if I'm sitting at home. To late to look for a deckie so its solo for me. The gears loaded n off to dundee( with high hopes of sitting on the beach sucking p..s). Dropped the boat in the water as i looked like the wind was dropping off. Straight to bowra n turf the gear out, buy 1 things started to happen. Slowly but shorley a pattern was starting to emerge. Look for the terns hovering over sails then drive over the top of them. :bs: Might sound a bit far fetched but this has happened a few times now. When its calm enough you can even throw baits at them. Ended the day with 6 3 2 2.

Sunday back to the scene of the crime, this time there's no birds bait or fish. Things are starting to look bad with the wind already sitting close to 20 kts. Buy 9 i point the nose towards long lost to put me a few clicks closer to home. 5 minutes later while I'm looking at a bird hovering 20ft above the water something catches my eye. A big fish cruising along the surface with a fin stick out, only thing is this fin finishes just behind its head. F*rrrrrrking big marlin, buy now i can hear something rattling behind me looking around there must have been a dozen or so fish bashing the teasers with my bait still sitting of the board. :rofl: Time stands still and in she goes. First fish zooms over looks pauses then swims back to the teasers, wtf. This happens 3 or 4 times before she eats it, 5 minutes later n I'm on the board. 30 to 40 minutes of chaos later n I've had another 10 strikes but only put the hooks in 1 only to loose it after 2 minutes. Buy 10 they left as quick as they came on, at this point the wind must have been 25kts so i pointed nose back towards long lost.
Buy 1 i had given up and was starting to pull in the teasers when bang another 1 hit the deck to round of a great weekend. Final tally was
30+ 12 3 2. Sorry about the lack of pictures i had a few things to do when i hooked a fish. Wonder where ill be fishing next weekend. :mrgreen:

Just a little side note if either of the 2 boats that where out there chaseing bilies around me happens to read this turn ya radio on fellas you might hear a beared burbler telling you to stay in the area. :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by double haul on Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pecheur
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Pecheur »

Hey Double Haul,

That is a great report, and any one who knows you can imagine how high you must have jumped once you saw the Marlin...
:lol: :wink:

Were you able to put a bait in front of him?

And the photo is not bad at all for a solo effort.
Still, if one day you need a photographer on board, just let me know, I know one of them.
:wink:

Have a good day,
Pecheur
Last edited by Pecheur on Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Faulksy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Faulksy »

Is that a tag in its sholder? Congrats. :drinking1:
upnorth73
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by upnorth73 »

Another awesome post to fire us all up DH.

Have a trip planned for Bowra on Tuesday and was almost thinking of canning it due to the wind. But you have convinced me to just do it.
That swell must have been pretty ordinary out there on the weekend.

Cheers, Adam...
Mud
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Mud »

Getting those billfish wired DH! Thanks for report!! Awesome results!!
Its not a crisis unless there is blood around.
If there is blood around......well its a police matter...
Dingo
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog
Location: Used to be Melville Island, now a crappy mainlander

Post by Dingo »

Top Report DH, There would not be tooo many weekends you are not in your rig. Great Stuff :mrgreen:
deepblack
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by deepblack »

G'day DH,
Thanks for the report, I'm stuck down south freezing my a@#e of at the moment but nice to know they are still there, just a hot tip for all those who are keen out there, the man is on the money we have been sighting the fish way before we raise them on calm days. If you see a commotion on the surface check it out chances are you will get an oppurtunity to pitch a bait to it if it's a billie! Last trip we spotted one from about 300m away chasing flying fish around a weed raft, when we got there the fish was that lit up and agro it was batting a piece of driftwood with its' bill!
Needless to say the take from that fish was awesome...
Cheers, :drinking1:
John.
North Shore Reel Service 0400494401.
Ernie
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Ernie »

Top stuff DH :mrgreen: I think we are going out next w/end to have a go at em :catch: :drinking1: :drinking1:
Live it and ENJOY
Cant save the world from idiots as they'll just build a better one!
Wouldn't need rules if people did the right thing!
PSST There maybe crocodiles in the water
scottmac
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by scottmac »

Well done again mate! 8-) I'm going to have to give you my number for when you need those last minute deckie positions filled! :angel:
double haul

Post by double haul »

Pecheur you should have seen the mess i left in my pants after seeing that fish :rofl:

Faulks that number 10 there, so far its been 11 in the boat this yr. Hows the gear gathering going?

Deepblack it was like something out of david attenbroughs doccos with sails cruzing along the swells instead of dolphins. 1 weekend out there last year we say hundreds and the best part is its only going to get better in the next month or 2. 8-)
Faulksy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Faulksy »

Getting there slowly brett. Thats a top effort on the sails. :drinking1:

I was talking to a guy today who fished the first day of the RCR Billfish shoot out that was on here this weekend. He said 50 odd fish were caught on day one, mostly sails but also 6 or 7 little blacks. Most were caught well off shore and conditions were bad 2mts plus. He was in a 22ft Boston Whaler and was cracking them over the bow. He was nursing his wounds still today 2 days later. Was a three day comp and it blew its balls off for 3 days. He said the big boats 7, 8 and 9 mtrs did well out wide on day one. :drinking1:
Matthias
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Matthias »

Awesome :clap: :clap:

Great report and pic :wink:

Cheers
Pete
deepblack
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by deepblack »

G'day again DH,
My southern trip got canned so it's game on again, 8-) the leave is locked and loaded so I will see you out there soon. If you are interested I'm developing a Pin / Gooney Bird teaser for the next assault to try and solve some of the Mack isssues we have been starting to cop, so if you want to swim a prototype drop me a pm and I will see what I can do.

Balls, if you read this the same applies and sorry about being a no show at the club the other night. Work screwed with me. :evil:
Cheers, :cheers:
John.
North Shore Reel Service 0400494401.
UNCLDUG
Seadog
Seadog

Post by UNCLDUG »

Awsome report DH 8-) 8-) 8-) ,you are a true diehard,some may call it an obsession,id call it commitment :smoking: :clap: :clap: :clap: