sails and a hornet

If you are into billfish, this is your home.
fly
Gold Member
Gold Member

sails and a hornet

Post by fly »

Skipped a couple of gars just outside Gove harbour the other day for a few hours in a 4.45 hornet by myself. Raised a sail after a 1/2 hours later but drop the fish after 2 mins :banghead: so back to trolling 40 mins on hooked up again this time stay hook up and landed a 10 kgs sailfish :mrgreen:

Dick
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Dick »

Nice one fly, hornets good for everything from barra to billfish
Regards Dick
upnorth73
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by upnorth73 »

Awesome effort fly. :clap:

Tell me, what sort of set up did you troll? Being a shift worker I've had a couple of half hearted solo efforts on the odd week day, ended up trolling just two lures and a teaser. Figured I'd have a frantic 30 seconds clearing just those if I had one of the rods go off.

Again, well done... Adam...
Brent Matthews
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Brent Matthews »

Awesome work!

I am heading over there next year with a 3.75, do you reckon that will be big enough to get out there, would be awesome to land a sail, let alone in a 12fter!

Did you get any photos?
Cheers
BD

'May your fishing spots be silted and your hooks on backwards'
ponyplay
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ponyplay »

Nice work :mrgreen: , the old hornet can be pushed any where dont think il ever be able to sell mine great all rounder.
come on brent who are you to ask for photos :fu: :rofl:
fly
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fly »

Hi Adam
I use a Mold Craft bird teaser with a skipping gar right behind it and a Mold craft bubble head gar 4-5 metres behind that.
Brent what time of year are coming over. The S.E trade winds blows its tit off my May-June
sheps
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by sheps »

i hope the sails do like hornets cos i live at elcho and have just bought a 500 hornet trophy. :mrgreen:
Gove Matt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Gove Matt »

Fly, any more sailys in the hornet???
I've just geared up for the bills, just waiting for this wind to p..s off :surf:
Cheers
Brent Matthews
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Brent Matthews »

Im coming over late June to Late September, so hopefully I will get a break in the weather and be able to head out.

I am bringing a 3.75 Dart, with a 30hp. Am going to fit it with the 'Air-o-Float' Stabilisers.

That a PFD, sat phone and a Epirb, should give me enough security to head out on the calm days.

Billfish solo in a 12fter, bring it on!! :naughty:
Cheers
BD

'May your fishing spots be silted and your hooks on backwards'
natural sparks
Seadog
Seadog

Post by natural sparks »

Brent Matthews wrote:Awesome work!

I am heading over there next year with a 3.75, do you reckon that will be big enough to get out there, would be awesome to land a sail, let alone in a 12fter!
http://www.fishingterritory.com/viewtopic.php?t=18295

I would say anything is possible in a 12 footer
We didnt have epirbs, flash sounders or gps then but when the water is that flat you just gotta have a crack

Its really hard getting them in for a photo tho coz you realy tip in a small tinnie

good luck tho
When I grow up I can't wait to be a grown up...........
Gove Matt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Gove Matt »

Brent Matthews wrote:Im coming over late June to Late September, so hopefully I will get a break in the weather and be able to head out.

I am bringing a 3.75 Dart, with a 30hp. Am going to fit it with the 'Air-o-Float' Stabilisers.

That a PFD, sat phone and a Epirb, should give me enough security to head out on the calm days.

Billfish solo in a 12fter, bring it on!! :naughty:
The tuna should be about then too!
I'm always lookin for a decky if ya keen, ive put a 100hours on the boat in the last 4 months so all my deckys are spoilt, and only come out on the calm as glass days:(
Cheers
fly
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fly »

Been slack with sending in the photo but I just learn how to send a email from my phone
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gove Matt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Gove Matt »

Nice :mrgreen:
I went out last week and raised 2 hooked one, about 5 mins and dropped it :cry:
I'm hooked :grin:
If you ever need a decky fly, i'm keen, i'll even supply the boat and gear :grin: :grin: :grin:
Cheers
Ben Jam

Post by Ben Jam »

Nice one, seeing post like this it give small boats like mine hope in the dry. 8-)