Oh Yeah Baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you are into billfish, this is your home.
deepblack
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Oh Yeah Baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by deepblack »

Well, it's finally happened,
Went to Dundee today and covered a lot of water chasing those beaked adrenalin injections, it started a bit slow with one sail of maybe 12kg coming to the deckie in the morning, that’s OK though because there is now one less Billie Virgin in the world and one more case of beaked fever. :bonk:

The sail was raised around the Bowra wide grounds listed by me previously, we then spent a few hours down at Sail City, no joy there either, huge open water bait schools of jelly bean tuna and herring with no predators carving them up?!? :-? Things were looking grim with no sails to been seen on the best bait balls you've ever seen ...

Anyway the call was made to head back to the area we picked up the Sail and have one last troll... Well low and behold 200m into the run and we spot a black sunning itself on the surface 30-40m off the starboard side, as we pull level I figure I've got nothing to lose so I pitch a bait on the spin gear, the bait hits the water about 5m in front of the fish and he spots it almost instantly and charges the bait, before pulling up short as I slow the skip, he turns broadside to us and I get a good look at him and it's at this point that I'm questioning the wisdom of pitching a gar on 8kg spin gear at a fish that's MUCH bigger than I originally thought and pushing close to the 80kg mark... :bricks:

During the pitch he buzzes the bait another 2 or 3 times until I run out of room, he fades off the pitch bait and scoffs the two skip baits on 10kg as he passes out of the spread. OK, just remember to breathe, now pick up the rod, count to five, no, slower.... OK now ease the lever up to strike, HELL YEAH HOOKUP! 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)
A quick decision is made and we cut the line to the second rod and he starts to peel line at a reasonable pace as the lines and teasers are cleared. (Which I might add now seems to take ten times longer than it ever has before.) We just clear the lines and the fish turns and hits top gear doing two enormous tail walks of perhaps 30-40m each as he charges the boat with me winding frantically to keep up and failing dismally, (thank god for circles) I think this may be because I‘m trying not to trip over my jaw that’s now on the deck of the boat. I have to tell you at this point that that tail walk is hands down the absolute coolest thing I have ever seen. :shock: :shock:

I think this burst wore him down and helped me a lot, he took 6 or 7 more runs each ending in jumps that were slowly reduced to lunges, we ran him down and got the wind-on on the reel for the first time at around the 20 minute mark, with the fish being within tagging range if we had any.

The fish then proceeded to take a dive at the boat that I couldn’t stop and slugged it out with us for the next 30 minutes or so with us having to periodically drive off it to plane it back up towards the surface and change our angle of attack. At the end of this stage we got the fish on the leader again before it sounded under the boat for the second time. By this stage I was VERY happy that I had finally brought a good rod bucket a couple of days before and had remembered to put it in the boat…. This was actually starting to hurt…

Another 20 minutes later and I was finally getting somewhere and starting to turn the fish and feeling confident when we got a wrap on the leader for the third time, when, you guessed it, it sounded again and the 10kg line finally gave up the ghost on what I will freely admit was a fair amount of pressure. I can tell you right now the stunned silence when the line parted was crushing……. :banghead:

The end result? Well in reality we could have easily sunk a tag into the shoulder of the fish on three occasions so I’m well satisfied but it would have been nice to get a glove to the bill for a good boat side release photo as the glare played havoc with the camera and we didn’t get any decent pictures, still in the end I don’t really give a damn because where would I go from here?
Cheers,
John.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by deepblack on Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

North Shore Reel Service 0400494401.
AM
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by AM »

Well done great read. Whem was that the sea dosnt lok to bad.
andrew.south
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by andrew.south »

Awesome stuff... :bow: :bow: :bow: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Southy

Very rarely when the ship misses the harbour is it the harbours fault
Dex38
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Dex38 »

Cracker read, well done :clap: :clap:

Dex
scottmac
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by scottmac »

Absolutely great read mate! 8-) The sort of fish dreams are made of!
deepblack
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by deepblack »

Thanks Fellas,
I'm still a bit shell shocked by the whole experience, I don't think what we finally achieved yesterday has sunk in yet. AM, it was yesterday afternoon we lucked out on the sea conditions, it would have turned into cruel and unusual punishment otherwise!
Cheers, :cheers:
John.
Pecheur
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Pecheur »

Fantastic read Deepblack!
:mrgreen:

What a good story! You must be stoked!
:applause: :clap: :applause:

And I guess that now the addiction will just be even stronger... Poor bugger...
:lol:

Have a good day,
Pecheur
UNCLDUG
Seadog
Seadog

Post by UNCLDUG »

:applause: :applause: :applause: Inspiring stuff DB ,well done and a great read, must have been great to have your heart in ya throat for so long,half ya luck :clap: :clap: :clap: 8-) 8-) 8-)
Mud
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Mud »

Top stuff John!! Good pics under the circumstances!1
Its not a crisis unless there is blood around.
If there is blood around......well its a police matter...
ozdodge
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ozdodge »

Great story DB, I was right there with you! :mrgreen:

fantastic :clap: :clap:

cheers
ozdodge

Don't crowd me - I'm likely to bite!
2rods
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by 2rods »

awesome...just plan awesome :applause: :applause:
:cheers:

2RODS

Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm.

If I can't be a good example, then I will just have to serve as a horrible warning...

As John Wayne once said:

"Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid."
Ernie
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Ernie »

Absolutely brilliant stuff DB :mrgreen: :drinking1: :drinking1:
Live it and ENJOY
Cant save the world from idiots as they'll just build a better one!
Wouldn't need rules if people did the right thing!
PSST There maybe crocodiles in the water
upnorth73
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by upnorth73 »

Great stuff DB.
An hour or so on the rod to lose it at the side, I reckon by middle of the week you'll be thinking of very little else other than catching a black. :smoking:

Great effort and great write up. :applause:

Cheers, Adam...
deepblack
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by deepblack »

Putting in for a day off on Thursday tomorrow Upnorth, :mrgreen: Two days before the new moon, excellent tide/moonphase in my opinion.
Cheers, :cheers:
John.
double haul

Post by double haul »

:mrgreen: Sweet dont bother buying a 50lb outfit mate the only thing ive caught on mine is a tuna. Mine seems to spook marlin. :lol: