light tackle billfishing

If you are into billfish, this is your home.
DOUG
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

light tackle billfishing

Post by DOUG »

went out for a quick session today managed a few of the little suckers and got done by a good mullet
stocking up for the billfish comp
DSC01037.JPG
DSC01041.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Trier
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: light tackle billfishing

Post by Trier »

Must have been a fun session - are you able to divulge the location????

My 4 year olds kiddie rod does the trick on them as well! Had never caught a garfish until last year when staying on the Redcliffe Peninsular and had read about garnishing, and caught a few on the Woody Pt jetty, and a heap with my son from the Nth Pine Dam (fresh water, but the snub nosed gar had somehow adapted). I reckon the kilo of fillets cost less than $20 all up (mainly floats, teeny hooks, some bread and petrol) which is probably the cheapest kilo of fish I have ever caught! Even better, gave them to my father in law to eat, so he did all the filleting. My son also had an absolute ball.

We have caught a few near the Rapid Creek bridge (along with some long toms), and a couple last week from SH wharf ( had forgotten my bait jig, but saw the gar there, and luckily had the small hooks and some bread with me). There were a heap hanging around the 'junction' between the road/bridge you drive in on and the start of the wharf proper.
Cheers,

Ash
-----------------

If it doesn't fit, get a bigger hammer and hit it harder!

'You can't have mudcrabs without mud'. My son John
DOUG
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by DOUG »

east point rocks is where we go!!!! out going tide is best and this time we didnt burly up much by feeding them we just kept a oil slick in the water with tuna oil went out about 300m and they were hungry all the time.. i reckon a squidy type spray botttle would be the go to spray a mist and let it disperse this way rather than chucking bread in and feeding them they was always hungry we did put a little in but not much
Trier
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Trier »

Thanks Doug - don't you just love auto correct: I thought for a second there was some special spray bottle out that I would have to buy.
I assume a plastic glove would also be handy so you don't get that lovely fish oil smell all over your hand from any spray drift or drips from the nozzle!
Cheers,

Ash
-----------------

If it doesn't fit, get a bigger hammer and hit it harder!

'You can't have mudcrabs without mud'. My son John
ken_dog
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ken_dog »

Trier wrote:Thanks Doug - don't you just love auto correct: I thought for a second there was some special spray bottle out that I would have to buy.
I assume a plastic glove would also be handy so you don't get that lovely fish oil smell all over your hand from any spray drift or drips from the nozzle!
Trier, you don't know doug....he baths in tuna oil!!

Good haul mate, what line class you getting those beauties on?
DOUG
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by DOUG »

20lb mono seemed to stop them but my daiwa dogfight reel pitchured above couldn't handle it and spun a few gears took some stopping the bigger fellas but hey that's what light tackle is all about right !!! Why don't you chuck a pic up of your efforts ken dog ??
Swoffa
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Swoffa »

Hi Doug,
do you stitch them up before freezing them or just do it out on the water.
What angler can cross over a bridge without peering over its side
ken_dog
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ken_dog »

Ahhhhh....ummmmmmmmm.......i umm lost that photo :|
DOUG
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by DOUG »

Swoffa wrote:Hi Doug,
do you stitch them up before freezing them or just do it out on the water.
Just do it on the water only defrost what we rigg for the day leave test in freezer whys that ????
deepblack
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by deepblack »

Nice work Doug,
Good to see you Vacuum bag them, keeps them heaps better and locks in that lovely blue shimmer fresh ones have a bit better.
North Shore Reel Service 0400494401.
john d
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by john d »

You wer,nt the bloke running around on the rocks nudeon sunday by any chance :shock:
I had to leave.
Being confrounted by a moony and a white pointer was a bit much for me :rofl: :rofl:
DOUG
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by DOUG »

Hahaha yeah that was me mate he didn't wanna loose his float so he went in after it
AM
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by AM »

deepblack wrote:Nice work Doug,
Good to see you Vacuum bag them, keeps them heaps better and locks in that lovely blue shimmer fresh ones have a bit better.
Now I am no billfisher and I dont want to tell those who are how to suck eggs, but heres a thought.
On the east coast when mackrel fishing commercialy we used to defrost all gar baits in a bucket of seawater with a good squirt of houshold bluo (yes still available) they came out with that same silvery blue shimmer you speak of and stayed that way for quite a while, mainly silver and very lifelike. havent seen anybody elso do it and never heard anybody talk about it up here, not a gee up definitly works, give it a go. Sorry if it is done and was a state or territory secret of sombodies.
john d
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by john d »

DOUG wrote:Hahaha yeah that was me mate he didn't wanna loose his float so he went in after it
The things you see fishing :lolpoint:
deepblack
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by deepblack »

AM wrote:
deepblack wrote:Nice work Doug,
Now I am no billfisher and I dont want to tell those who are how to suck eggs, but heres a thought.
On the east coast when mackrel fishing commercialy we used to defrost all gar baits in a bucket of seawater with a good squirt of houshold bluo (yes still available) they came out with that same silvery blue shimmer you speak of and stayed that way for quite a while, mainly silver and very lifelike. havent seen anybody elso do it and never heard anybody talk about it up here, not a gee up definitly works, give it a go. Sorry if it is done and was a state or territory secret of sombodies.
Thanks, I will try it. I generally use Bi Carb Soda in my ice slurry prior to packing for the same result but the blu sounds easier. :mrgreen: Who thinks this stuff up anyway? :bonk:
North Shore Reel Service 0400494401.