Finally got one/two

If you are into billfish, this is your home.
upnorth73
Gold Member
Gold Member

Finally got one/two

Post by upnorth73 »

Well it had to happen sooner or later, I finally got me a sailfish, or maybe 2. :smoking:

For a long while now I've been absorbing as much info off this site (Double haul your posts have been awesome) and others, trying to crack this billfish thing. I have done probably 10 or more trips, spent about 70-80 hours trolling mainly around fenton patches with little to no clue. But as they say, you learn a little everytime.
Finally yesterday on a day off (shift worker), I wondered out to Bowra wide/Long lost on my own (again a shift worker curse). Got there a bit before 9 and had the teasers and lures in the water real quick as I was quite anxious due to recent good numbers of fish out that way.

An hour and a half later and the swell had been steadily picking up to well beyond being comfortable, and the 480 Quinnie was bobbing around like a cork, but I was on my own and had no one elses discomfort to worry about but my own. Then about an hour before the bottom of the tide I noticed the left hand rod do a larger than normal bounce and looked back to see a very interested sail having a go at the lure. But that was it he had a couple more goes and then disappeared. That already made the trip more productive than some of my earlier efforts. :grin:

Anyhow, continued my troll run from some of DH's points from last year up to Longlost and back. On the way back through where I had my earlier strike, I was staring out the back as you do when you are chasing billies, and whack. I saw that long slender bill hit the right hand lure and hard. The ratchet screamed, my jaw dropped and nearly wet myself.
So up I got grabbed the teaser line and halfway pulling the teaser in the other real aalso screamed. Cr@p, double hook up, what to do now.
Once the teaser was in I grabbed the first rod and pulled the boat throttle back but kept in gear to hopefully keep just enough tension on the second line. After about ten minutes later I had the first, and MY first fish in the boat. :drinking1: Woo hoo, then grabbed the second rod, boat to neutral and pretty soon had them both on the floor together. Could not belive it, what a thrill, two fish. Felt like a huge weight lifted off my shoulders after so many disappointing trips, but they were suddenly all worth it, what a rush.

Anyway, got the lines back out and did another few hours trolling in very ordinary conditions, (even had a barf once and I never get sea sick) had a few more strikes and another good hook up but didn't manage to land anymore. Headed home at about 3 in the arvo with a big smile all the way.
What a great day, and can't wait to have another go.

Thanks to evryone who has posted info on catching sails.

Adam...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Pecheur
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Pecheur »

Fantastic Upnorth73!!!
:mrgreen:

Double hookups for your first fishes is incredible!!!
And all by yourself...
:bow: :applause: :clap: :applause:

Man, this is something that you will remember for ever.

:mrgreen:

Have a good day,
Pecheur
ozdodge
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ozdodge »

Wow, great work Adam! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

fantastic effort, and with no deckie no less :bow: :bow: :bow:

but then, how'd you get that great photo? :-? bit like the lunar landing! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

see you round dude :cheers:
ozdodge

Don't crowd me - I'm likely to bite!
sheps
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by sheps »

haha that's awesome mate, how did ya get the photo :mrgreen:
max
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by max »

Well done Adam thats one day you wont forget for quite a while :mrgreen:
MattyA
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by MattyA »

Nice work mate...beats those rats out at Finniss fresh!!

Matt
upnorth73
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by upnorth73 »

Thanks guys,

yep won't be forgetting that in a hurry. Photo was taken off of a 10 second delay, and camera was mounted to the windscreen via a pushbike handle bar camera mount. Got it off of ebay for about $7, fits straight onto the freedom sport windscreen grab bar.
That is why the horizon is on such a tilt, the boat was pitching and rolling big time.

Matt, the Finniss rats are back and primed ready to go.
UNCLDUG
Seadog
Seadog

Post by UNCLDUG »

8-) 8-) 8-) Well done upnorth 73.ABSOLUTE DYNAMITE,sounds like your commitment paid off in a big way,hope you get much more of the same,keep livin the dream man :clap: :clap: :clap:
double haul

Post by double haul »

Nice way to kick start a billie season mate. :mrgreen:
luvindafish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by luvindafish »

Congratulations. That must have been hard work. I hope both your fish revived well and swam away nicely. They arent that keen on being handled too much. :captain:
upnorth73
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by upnorth73 »

Yeah, felt bit bad about that. They both swam off but the one in the photo was the first in the boat while I got the second in. Second fish looked strong when he went back in. The one in the photo though I dragged next to the boat for a good ten minutes. He swam off but was very subdued.

Would probably make a habbit of releasing the majority at the side of the boat from now on.

Cheers guys.
DOUG
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by DOUG »

did i read that right mate you had them both on the floor of the boat
be a better idea to let the first one go then catch the second one in that case
leaving it on the floor would take a toll on the fish from past experience
seano
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by seano »

Thats awesome!! Its good to see persistance and hard work pays off, its so much better than catching a target species like that than getting them straight off the bat 8-)
luvindafish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by luvindafish »

Yep its the best idea to leave them in the water. Even for photos. Beautiful silver lit up fish better that brown lactic acid stressed fish. We let them go as soon as we can get them to the side of the boat. Out of the 22 we got i think only 2 had the hook inside and beyond retrieval. In that case we cut the leader. All the others were hooked in the corner of the bill thanks to circle hooks :captain:
max
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by max »

Watchout Upnorth the fish police have you in their sights :hunting: :grin: