Dundee Wide

If you are into billfish, this is your home.
Bill Collector
Silver Member
Silver Member

Dundee Wide

Post by Bill Collector »

Fished around Dundee Wide marks provided by deepblack (Thanks deepblack) from Billfish Log. Went from Dundee 6.30 am Sunday Morning and returned Monday 2pm. Raised 17 caught 4 Sailfish. Plenty of Sailfish action on Sunday morning. 8 boats working the area on Sunday, and by all reports they all caught Sails or at least had them raised. Best fishing was
2 hours either side of low tide in the morning. Came on again very late in the avro on Sunday

Balls
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Balls »

G'day Bill Collector

We fished there Sat/Sun, trying to break a mate's Billfish virginity, he found new ways to lose/miss Billies before he eventually scored his first Sail, I ended up with 3 Sails for the day, all small Sails about 12 kg & 1 about 15 kgs. On Saturday arvo when it quitened down I moved out wider & raised a few more later in the day. Saturday night we had the pleasure of getting thumped by the winds from the storm hovering over the Finniss/Pt Jenny before it belted down at about 2am for half an hour. On Sunday I tagged 2 Sails quickly before it went quite & I moved out wider with not much happening & later Josh Ker advised us he saw stacks in closer again from the marks you fished. Josh's two Billfish virgin crew scored a Sail a piece & Josh scored a Sail. We also done a bit of line class stuff for our club comp scoring nice Queenies, Spaniard's & Tuna on 3kg, so it wasn't just a Billie trip for us. Also tested some new quick rigs I have been playing with & very happy with how they work/easy to make/rig baits when there are a few fish around & time is an issue. I will do a demo at one of the club meetings if anyone wants to take some photos in case anyone is interested in another method for a trial/comparison to what they use. Small Mullet rigged as splash baits worked well & probably better suited size bait for the size of the Sails in that area.

I used 4/0 Gamagatsu Salter water fly hooks with 60 lb Jenkai due to the small size of the fish, five hooked in the corner of the mouth & one just inside of the throat which I cut the hook in preference to trying to force it out, I don't think those hooks would remain intact for to long with the amount of acid they generate, cheers Balls.
SCURVY DOG
deepblack
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by deepblack »

G'Day Balls,
I would be very interested in seeing your new ways of rigging, Especially the mullet rig. I assume by "the Club" you are talking about the Darwin GFC? If so I will see you there.
Cheers, :cheers:
John.
North Shore Reel Service 0400494401.
Balls
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Balls »

G'day Deepblack

Yep, Darwin Game Fishing Club, I'll try to get down there in time after I finish work Tuesday night. If I get a chance I will chase some baits up to rig, not sure how long Pete Zeroni will be going for. Bring down some of the styles of hooks you personally choose to use & I will twist up some quick rigs to suit your hooks that you can then try, lots of methods, this is just another option, but a good one for when baits are being chewed/distroyed quickly, catch ya then, cheers Balls.
SCURVY DOG
deepblack
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by deepblack »

Thanks Balls,
I will see you there, let me know if you want me to bring any baits to rig.
John.
Balls
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Balls »

G'day Deepblack

No dramas, if you have a few baits you want rigged with whatever style hook you use just bring them down. I will just bring a couple of gars, finny scad & mullet, as its just an impromptu (quick rigs) rigging after Pete Zeroni is finished jigging techniques & will do a more detailed rigging session on another night, might see if we can get a few others involved to display various techniques available, cheers Balls.
SCURVY DOG
deepblack
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by deepblack »

Ok Balls,
Will bring a couple of mullet and gars and the rigging floss, might as well show anyone who is interested the X rig as well see you there, what time is kick off?
John.
DOUG
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by DOUG »

any one get any pics of these new baits rigged up at all?
wshat date is the next dgfc meeting?