Dundee update

If you are into billfish, this is your home.
double haul

Dundee update

Post by double haul »

Just got back from 3 days chaseing a gorilla at dundee. Turns out there was a comp on down there and first billie wins 1 grand. 8-)
Couldnt find a deckie for the life of me but what the hell. Left friday moring at 6 and threw out the teasers at 7. Bowra wide as always, the fish where there last trip and had to start somewhere. Buy lunch i was half tanked and starting to get bored(all the while talking to flipper). The other 2 boats raised a few and droped half a dozen i think buy 3 in the arvo. Buy this time i only had a few cans left in the esky and had to make a call to a mate to bring out another box in the morning. Camped in at blaze and lasted to 9pm buggered if i know how though. Up at sparrows sat moring and lines in again at 7. 20 minutes later and the gorilla jumps up behind the teasers, the baits droped back and bang theres 1 grand jumping around the back of the boat with only 1 problem my gars flying in the oppisite direction. :fubird: Buy 8 mark in 1 of the other boats hooks up and lands himself a gorilla. He calls me and askes if i will witness it and its all done and dusted. The monkeys of everyones back now and we can finaly start to catch a few billies. 1 hr or so later and its finaly my turn, a small pod of 8 to 10 fish pop up and i watch the first bait release. Only 2 drop him 30s later all the while watching the rest of the fish fight over the last bait. At this stage ive wound in 100ms or so of line and drop the rod on the floor, picking up the next rod and waiting 15s before doing anything. Droped that fish also and wound in another 100ms of line dropping the rod in the process racing up to the front and grabbing another 2 baits. Only to turn around and see the fish have left. :banghead: O well solo billie hunting has its drawbacks. Around lunch and another pod of up to 10 fish pop up same process as before (orginised choas) on the 4th bait the hook sets and things become a little crazy. After pulling in 2 teasers 1 30ft long dropping the radio antenna and doing a couple of laps of the boat hes done. :mrgreen: This would have to be the hardest fishing ive done up to date for these bastards.

Buy 2 im nackered and call it quites. Pulled the boat out and caugh up with a few mates. Turns out the bottom fishing is a little slow and what i saw get weighed in didnt impress me to much. Buy 8 old mates talking of heading home as nothing had realy started to happen on the breifing and ive had enough. Pulled in at camp and it turns out a mate of a mates young bloke was up for a bit of fishing with his old man who had just left for home the day before. Well i was going to go back home tomorow but what the hell i say will go catch a sail, hes keen as and plans are made in 3 or 4 minutes flatout. Time for some zzzzzzzzzzzz

Sunday moring back to the same spot and within 1 hr we had our first fish pop up and grab a bait. Shane grabs the rod and the line goes tight but he hasnt closed the bail. What the *&^% is say and upon closer inspection 1 of the guides has broken and the lines wraped around it.
:bonk: Funny how many ways you can loose these fish. Called it quites trolling at 11 and started looking for reef fish. What a dissapointment
2 grinners and thats it. Even the tuna where hard to catch. :-? Buggered if i know whats happening there but things are slowing.

As for the fish there still there, the numbers have droped a little but its still worth haveing a shot at them. We even heard of a few people chasing mackys who had a few lookers. Sorry theres not more pics but its a bit hard chaseing gorillias on ya own. :mrgreen:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Pecheur
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Pecheur »

Hey what a read!

:mrgreen: :o :mrgreen:

Reminds me of a book about an old man and the sea...

:wink:

Have a good day,
Pecheur.
luvindafish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by luvindafish »

Geez double hall if ur raising that many fish i'l bl..dy decky for you . Sounds like they are there to be caught :smile:
double haul

Post by double haul »

Hey luvindafish the fish havent left you saw them a few months ago, as for deckieing for me what would ya captain say if ya jumped in another blue gs :lol: Pecheur o cr.p ive got grey hairs but im not that bl..dy old
8-)
Pecheur
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Pecheur »

Hey Double Haul,

I didn't mean any offence, it is just the action on the water, not you.
:wink:

Have a good day,
Pecheur
bandit

Post by bandit »

good report again matey :clap:

more sailys from darwin........ :applause:

and out of a 5 m tinny....... :clap:

and on your own 8-)

keep it up :drinking1:
luvindafish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by luvindafish »

Yeah true. But been out and only seen 1 surface feeding on that day. Very poor bait on that day too. Ha ha blue GS hey thats a bit lush. Yeah i told my partner that id jump ship to catch a few more sails. He laughed. Its all good. Im a bit grey myself but i can still catch fish :captain:
luvindafish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by luvindafish »

Went to Dundee on Monday with Ben a a couple of his friends from down south. Very foggy morning. Had a troll at point Jenny but only managed a couple of small cod (let go). After the wind dropped off we went wide of Bowra in hope of a sail, but with big tides it was as green as grass out there. Saw some good bait balls feeding on the surface but nothing on them. Plenty of small tuna, dolphins and turtles but nil sails after a couple of trolling hours. Saw some sort of a large fishing vessel out there that didnt like us getting too close ?????????????? Anyway we came across a poor big old cod that had obviously been dragged up from the depths and was belly up but trying real hard to get down. One look from me and Ben knew i wouldnt be happy till we helped him. Very difficult to get into the net as he was still very active. Eventally we got him into the net and Ben the cod doctor released the air with a nic and he went swam staight down. Now wether he survived or not only the cod gods will know but i reckon he had a good chance. Maybe the neaps will bring better billy conditions :captain: