Bill fish tag access

If you are into billfish, this is your home.
Balls
Seadog
Seadog

Bill fish tag access

Post by Balls »

G'day Double Haul

I contacted Phil Bolten from the NSW fisheries, basically game fishing clubs obtain their Billfish tags from the NSW fisheries through the GFAA & their respective affiliated state associations for sanctioned tournaments, so we aren't allowed to off load the Billfish tags issued for comps (not that we have them to off load).

Phil said they ar still happy to support other individuals who aren't in clubs with Billfish tags, but only issue smaller numbers of Bill fish tags & then replace them when they recieve used tags back. Depending on the number of forum members interested he will consider issuing more tags which can be issued from one area, so long as a suitable method of controlling & recording the data is set up. I would be happy to that do unless some one else wanted the job. I already maintain extensive tag info for the Barra classic, so it would't be much work from my point of view.

Forum members interested will need to contact [email protected] to follow up obtaining tags, also check that your tagging implement is compatible with their tags, as at this stage I still have to go via the GFAA so I don't step on any ones toes. If you have any drama give Phil Bolten a call on # 02 9527 8411, cheers Balls.

SCURVY DOG
double haul

Post by double haul »

Thanks for the info balls. I got in contact with adam a week and a half ago and the tags turned up today. :mrgreen:
Balls
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Balls »

No worries Double Haull, did Adam end up charging you for the tags or was he happy to assist with small amount of tags on replaced when returned basis, cheers Balls.
SCURVY DOG
double haul

Post by double haul »

No chrage, im asumeing replaced when returned basis. To be honest he didnt say.

On a diffrent note im reading the rules for the billie comp and im a little confused. The sail past is compulsory correct, but it doesnt say you have to leave darwin. So im asuming you can pull ya boat out of the water then tow it and launch somewhere else? Sorry to be such a pain but we intend to fish bowra, the city and maybe a little wider. The skipper is lineing up a satellite phone just for this purpose. The only reason im asking is if ya cant tow anywhere this puts the bigger boats at a greater advandage.
Balls
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Balls »

G’day Double Haull

Yep, the sail past is compulsory attendance in your competition boat, if you want to then pull the boat out & launch it from Dundee or Leaders Creek etc that is fine, so long as you don’t start fishing before the lines in time, that shouldn’t be a problem with the distances to travel to other ramps from Darwin.

The main thing to keep in mind is base station receives the Billfish capture info asap during each competition day, especially if a count back comes into the equation. The info must be received by the cut off time each night or they won’t count. Last day all tag info, photos etc must be physically issued by the cut off time without exception, so allow time for tractor delays, trailer damage or whatever other things we encounter on our premium roads like Dundee if you decide to tow to & from another area.

I’m hoping to have the boundaries & map completed by Greg Rogers asap & put on the NT Fish finder forum to allow competitors to work out their game plans, like I said before, its going to be a reasonable area to work from which should cater for the majority of boats & competitor’s abilities.

On the Sat phones, I think a company is going to do a reasonable hire rate deal for the teams chasing a sat phone, the Billfish committee meeting is tonight but I’m working. I’ll obtain the details & forward the info, hopefully it can save teams a quid, not a 100% sure at this stage.

If any of your crew or other teams has a Telstra next G mobile (I think they’re a T6) you can buy a small patch cable for about $29.00 from Telstra shops. Mal Miles & I tested it way past Point Jenny & behind land mass, I only had the antennae at gunnel height & had no trouble getting through to Darwin & Palmerston. The cable is 3 metres long, if the cable was attached at maximum height the range would increase dramatically & be a lot cheaper than the sat phone call fee, the Telstra network shows it is covered down in that area now. At the end of the day it is still the responsibility of each team to make sure they get the info through.

If you’re chasing some swim baits, especially for the small Sails off Dundee, there are plenty of small & medium sized Mullet at Buff Creek down towards the mouth, about the third hole, I have found the lower part of the spring tides is the best time, then Sasha vac them ready for the comp, any queries give us a yell, cheers Balls.
SCURVY DOG
double haul

Post by double haul »

Cheers balls your a bl..dy legend, we had a back up plan anyway but its nice to know we can head down to dundee towing. As for the boundaries any info ya can provide before the comp will be welcome. :bow: