Manton matters

Barramundi, saratoga, sooties and more. For dam fishing, use the dam forums below.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Manton matters

Post by Matt Flynn »

Some interesting facts here from Chris Makepeace at AFANT ...

Hi everyone

During the time Manton Dam was closed the story was that the newly-raised wall at Darwin River Dam had caused the water in the two dams to join allowing crocs free access between the two water bodies. The question was, would this happen each year and would the dam be closed like it was earlier this year? I think this information from Steve McKenzie at Power Water makes it clear that the raising of the Darwin River Dam wall wasn’t responsible and, in fact, when both Manton and DRD are full the max water levels are still 3 km apart – just 500 metres less than before the wall was raised. I think we saw this year the natural movement of crocs over wet country and I expect that will happen in years with similar high rainfall. Hopefully, now that we have established with Parks and Wildlife that we can still fish when there are crocs about, Manton won’t be closed to rec fishing again for that reason.

From Power Water ...
Some facts in relation to Manton Dam and the raising of Darwin River Dam spillway....
Refer to attached map.
The distance between the Darwin River Dam and Manton Dam water bodies (assuming both are at Full Supply Level) is approximately 3km. This is based on aerial photography and contour mapping. There is no connection between the two water bodies.
Raising the Full Supply Level in Darwin River Dam has reduced the minimum distance between water bodies by approximately 500m (from approximately 3.5km to 3km).
During significant rainfall events, upper catchment creeks will be flowing which will reduce the distance between water bodies, but this is not related to the raising of the spillway.
Prior to widening the spillway in 2001, water levels in the dam during major flood events were similar to those now experienced with the raised spillway level.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

john d
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Manton matters

Post by john d »

Chears for the heads up Matt.
Good to see the dam open to fishing more. 8)
Fishos should help P&W by reporting croc sightings
Mabey every week. :rofl:
Got to look after our skiing mates. :naughty:
3 kms is not far for a big croc :croc:
:drinking1:
Turtle
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Turtle »

I've never fished manton before.. Always wanted to. When did they last stock Manton? They should throw some more fingerlings in :naughty:
Fishing in the top end isn't just a matter of life or death, it's much much more serious than that.
NathanL
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by NathanL »

Turtle wrote:I've never fished manton before.. Always wanted to. When did they last stock Manton? They should throw some more fingerlings in :naughty:
They haven't stopped stocking it. Has had hundreds of thousands of fingerlings put in it over the past 5 years or so.
Turtle
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Turtle »

Oh really? Awesome. I'll see if I can convince the uncle to let me take his 5m GS in there :naughty:
Fishing in the top end isn't just a matter of life or death, it's much much more serious than that.
bushie
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by bushie »

Manton Damit Can't Catch a Barra in There... maybe that's just me..
john d
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by john d »

Yes thats just you Bushie
troamaru
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by troamaru »

friendly barra in there rub up against you when you're bobbing around in the water after falling off the biscuit... at least I hope they were Barra :D
bandit

Post by bandit »

just for you bushy :D

manton metery 8)