1ST Time look around Manton.

Barramundi, saratoga, sooties and more. For dam fishing, use the dam forums below.
steele
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

1ST Time look around Manton.

Post by steele »

Goin for a look down Manton saturday arvo/night. Try a few tactics from east coast dam's and some jigging the deeper stretchs with some new japanese 100mm bibless minnows. Water seem's to be warming up and plan on going down next friday night just before the full moon although i have had more success on the dark's on the east coast dam's. Anyway's i let ya's know how it goes. :fishing:

Big Fish Action
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: 1ST Time look around Manton.

Post by cuddlescooper »

Look forward to the results. Have wondered how fast jigging in the middle of the dam would go. i have seen it done on footage but never seen it done up here. Good luck.
steele
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by steele »

Nice little dam down there. So close too....
Well kicked off with a scout around the points to the east of the ramp and sounded up some good fish and bait holding in around 20-25ft but skiers/wakeboarders were roaring up n down having fun so i went for a look around the south west area of the dam to the left of the ramp. Sounded up some bait but nothing like the first spot i went too. Had a look around and with water temp at 31deg decided to have a feed and a beer while the ski boats pulled up stumps before heading back to the deep water point. :chef2:
Flicked some plastics around in around 10ft adjacent to some nice weed beds while waiting for dark. Got a few nudges but nothing special. There were a couple of other boats around fishing but all seemed quiet. :?
So at 7pm and a feed in the guts went around and put the electric down and sure enough the fish were still there but now they were holding at about 15ft right in amongst the bait,a sure sign they were now active and feeding. My wife drop's down a Jackal mask-vibe and slow rolls it up and down through the fish while i rig up my new flash lures from japan. well bugger me i got about 30sec's in and she screams out she's on and the drag of the little spin reel sings that nice tune. After a 10 min fight on 15lb braid she lands her first freshwater barra at 83cm. She was pretty stoked to say the least. :clap:
So now ready to rock we cruised up with the electric back over the edge of the fish and started jigging again. 3 hookups over the next 2 hours kept the intrest there and then finally a solid hook set and quick battle ensured i landed my first Manton barra at 76cm. :mrgreen:
We stayed there a bit longer then went for a troll along the edges with 120 and 160 classics 3ft for a few hits and one hookup before throwing lure on the jump.The last fish was a cracker that through the lure and was in the next class of fish up from what we had been jigging.
So all in all a nice place with some nice fish in there and a place i thjink i will be visiting a bit more. Next week looks good so i will be doing a over nighter ther friday night. :drinking8:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Big Fish Action
ken_dog
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ken_dog »

Great stuff mate
hairy17
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by hairy17 »

nice work...
ravstr
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by ravstr »

Reckon ill head out that way next week, moon is looking 2 good!!!
nikoniko
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nikoniko »

Manton looks like an awesome spot to fish :D cool colours on those fish 8)
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Great report, great fish, great night-time photos - we have not heard much from there in a while, too many secret squirrels :mrgreen:

I'm keen tol give it a go later in the week too, will also report back :cheers:
Turtle
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Turtle »

Always wanted to fish there.. Anyone need a night time deckie? ;)
Fishing in the top end isn't just a matter of life or death, it's much much more serious than that.