The effects of fluorescent orange... and contrast ?

hottuna
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: The effects of fluorescent orange... and contrast ?

Post by hottuna » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:08 am

Shimano had all sorts of dramas introducing UV to lures. Getting the right amount had a massive effect on how they performed. Jackall have had it nailed for years, and I believe it's the reason their lures are so effective.
I haven't got the time to go into it but colours like Suji Shrimp are so detailed under black light. They take on a pattern, rather than just standing out like dogs balls

Bluewater Dreamin'

bigwoody
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bigwoody » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:20 pm

ronje wrote: Barra's prime sensor is lateral line so pick a lure that has action (following the bib around). Tail-kicking lures ( coffin shaped bibs) have more action than a wider tracking (snake like track) lure with rounder shaped bib.
Gotta make you wonder why soft plastics with with hardly any action work so well, not to mention fly's.
Optimistic Pessimist

STANDY
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by STANDY » Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:37 pm

ronje wrote:Here ya go.

All photos of the same lure which has had its bottom half dipped in fluro white paint.

Big difference in contrast between plain white and fluro white for starters. Secondly fluro gives greater contrast between lure and background water colour. Much much easier to see.
Note lure's flat sides and coffin bib.

This angle might show coffin bib shape and flat sides better.

The bottom lure photo is half plain white and half fluro. Wouldn't know it to look at though, would you? Same with all other fluro colours. Without a little UV torch, u're guessing.

Just back from Japan a few months ago and the biggest thing in lures is white fluorescent paint on deep see jigs.
Spent many a hour in Okinawa tackle shops ( lucky they have a few 24hr stores 8) )
A Fish in the Boat is Worth Five in the Shop.

Dick
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Dick » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:35 pm

Never worried too much about colours, though in some cases it certainly does make a difference. Always put that one behind strength, size, vibration, sound, depth, presentation and retrieve.

I'll always favour a mosaic pattern of reflective and non reflective surfaces, exactly what you get when a lure has half its paint missing. Looking a bit like a half munted and boofed mullet with half its scales gone. Not that it makes much of a difference where the water looks like a ploughed field. But when it does the older the lure and the rougher the paint job is the better it works I reckon.

Can see a market for designer munted lures in much the same way that new pairs of old jeans are all the rage. :roll:
Regards Dick

ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ronje » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:23 am

Gotta make you wonder why soft plastics with with hardly any action work so well,

But plastics do produce vibrations which is a barra's prime sensor. The vibrations come from tail (or hanging floppy bits) and from the ripple surface of the lure. If smooth surface they'll have enhanced tail action eg Hollowbellies, Wedgetails, Thumper tails etc. Look at plastic lure action in Matts article. Shows how vibrations are achieved from plastics.

Colour only comes into play when other sensors (mainly lateral line working off vibrations) bring barra into visual range Sometimes that visual range is very very short (eg dirty water) with both the barra and the lure "on the move". I believe that's what accounts for the numbers of "missed strikes" which fail to hook up properly. Allow a lure to stand still (like a suspending lure) so an interested barra can line it up properly, there'll be far fewer missed strikes.

On an outing here, I brought a lure back to a snag where I knew a barra was sitting. Stopped the lure movement beside the snag and let it suspend. Took 17 seconds before the barra scoffed it. Water was pretty clear (Shoalwater Bay) so I had seen the barra and he could see the lure. Took 17 seconds for him to inch his way to it.

Just on that subject, I also believe that's why slow steady retrieves are usually more successful. Easier for barra to line up his apparent meal.

The important point is to attract the barra's attention in the first place. That's the role of the vibrations from the lure as it moves through the water.
Regards
Ronje

Flickin4em
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Flickin4em » Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:30 am

1st off thanks for the info and replies fellas,
Last edited by Flickin4em on Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Proudly supporting quality products by: LED Lenser, Lightforce, GoPro, Samsung, Lifeproof, Shimano, G.Loomis, Berkley, Owner, Rapala, Yozuri, Samaki, Storm, Zerek and Zman :)

Flickin4em
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Flickin4em » Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:34 am

ronje wrote:Here ya go.

The bottom lure photo is half plain white and half fluro. Wouldn't know it to look at though, would you? Same with all other fluro colours. Without a little UV torch, you're guessing.
Dead right. .. gonna definitely get one myself :mrgreen:
Sullo wrote:I'd like to give these a swim
I'm getting at least 1 for the runoff ...pricey but good looking lures though. :mrgreen:
ronje wrote:Here's my view of the basics involved.

Eyes are last thing that a barra uses in dirty water. The lure action (vibrations) is the main attractant.

The lateral line response gets the barra to the lure and the eyes come into play at the last second (in dirty water).

If the water is just a bit clearer, the more the eyes come into play a little bit earlier. Just before the strike.
If a fish has 1 sensor working to its limits due to dirty/murky water (lateral line), then the less accurate the strike (dirty or low light water).
If a fish has 2 sensors working (lateral line AND eyes) then the more accurate the strike (clearer water).
The greater the lure action the easier it is for the lateral line to "hear" no matter what colour the lure is.
Note that the big ass B52 widow has red on it. Best colour for extremely low light or really dirty water.
Anyway, Flicker, its been an interesting journey and you know the biggest surprise of all?
Just how many experts had no idea at all.
Good points and hilarious news about the ... '' experts'' :lol:
hottuna wrote: I haven't got the time to go into it but colours like Suji Shrimp are so detailed under black light. They take on a pattern, rather than just standing out like dogs balls
Good lures have definitely had the big hours of Research and development put into them !!! :mrgreen:
bigwoody wrote:
Gotta make you wonder why soft plastics with with hardly any action work so well, not to mention fly's.
Because of the pressure wave it creates as it moves mate, the small DOA terroreyes have 0 action and are an awesome Barramundi lure still. :mrgreen:
Dick wrote:Never worried too much about colours, though in some cases it certainly does make a difference. Always put that one behind strength, size, vibration, sound, depth, presentation and retrieve.

I'll always favour a mosaic pattern of reflective and non reflective surfaces, exactly what you get when a lure has half its paint missing. Looking a bit like a half munted and boofed mullet with half its scales gone. Not that it makes much of a difference where the water looks like a ploughed field. But when it does the older the lure and the rougher the paint job is the better it works I reckon.

Can see a market for designer munted lures in much the same way that new pairs of old jeans are all the rage. :roll:
Mates blue and silver big halco rooster popper was getting nothing unill he abused it badly on the rockbar itself and side steps of the ute to remove half its paint then he was straight into them , pretty much was fish a cast after he did that to it :mrgreen:

NO B%llsh#t ... Strange but true :bonk:

ronje wrote:Gotta make you wonder why soft plastics with with hardly any action work so well,

On an outing here, I brought a lure back to a snag where I knew a barra was sitting. Stopped the lure movement beside the snag and let it suspend. Took 17 seconds before the barra scoffed it. Water was pretty clear (Shoalwater Bay) so I had seen the barra and he could see the lure. Took 17 seconds for him to inch his way to it.

Just on that subject, I also believe that's why slow steady retrieves are usually more successful. Easier for barra to line up his apparent meal.

The important point is to attract the barra's attention in the first place. That's the role of the vibrations from the lure as it moves through the water.
More important is to read the full situation properly first. A quiet approach.. then get in an accurate cast to an area holding fish with the çorrect retrieve style too. There's no point skipping a weedless frog over the surface if the fish are holding deep sitting suspended at 5m, is what I'd reckon personally. :?

Use your electronics too, there is not much point flicking a fish desert to foam fellas :fishing:

:shock: 17 second pause ... bl..dy good effort I would definitely struggle with the patience for that myself ... :mrgreen:

Do you lure use scents like the squidgy pro range S factor ? I reckon they definitely add more odds to you catching fish if you keep reapplying it regularly... particularly in well thrashed out areas. :mrgreen:
Last edited by Flickin4em on Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Proudly supporting quality products by: LED Lenser, Lightforce, GoPro, Samsung, Lifeproof, Shimano, G.Loomis, Berkley, Owner, Rapala, Yozuri, Samaki, Storm, Zerek and Zman :)

al57
Seadog
Seadog

Post by al57 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:12 am

vibration is my main goto before colour in out tannum coloured waters,that slow swagger in a lure is my fave with a slow slow rise in them .as ron said a lot of strikes come from the pause but i think the attention seeking part of the lure is key.colours in barra lures confuse the shite out of me in big sessions where there could be two or three diff ones working at the same time.thats where vibration confirms it for me .

ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ronje » Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:23 pm

I believe you're spot on about the action first, Al.

Instead of picking a particular colour, Al maybe grouping the colours around the "X" in those colour charts might be the key. More general in nature rather than specific. That's the way I do it now.

I found that a certain colour Jackall Squirrel worked best in the clear clean water of Shoalwater Bay but not as well in the dirtier Fitzroy. Wasn't as clued up on colour penetration at that stage so couldn't work out why. Been following that "X" a bit now and getting better results. Putting more thought into what the water type is.

Don't use scents, Flicker. Mainly because I don't know anything about barra smelling ability.

Some people swear by them so maybe there's something in it.

To be honest I was struggling with lure action, vibrations and colour enough as it was. Maybe I'll see what the smell bit does after I get my head bedded down about the stuff I looked at.

Terraeyes. The eyes doubled up as weights.

Used them very successfully on the Roper. Got some bigger versions overseas 'cos I didn't trust the small hooks. They never let me down but I just didn't feel confident about them.

Can you still get them? Want some of the bigger ones?
Regards
Ronje

Flickin4em
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Flickin4em » Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:37 pm

I heard that it's about 50,000X stronger than our sense of smell but I dont have any hard evidence. Sharks are even better.

Fishing and Outdoor world should be able to hook you up with some terroreyes Ronje. They sell heaps every year.

ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ronje » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:47 pm

I don't need any, Flicker.

I've got some bigger TerroEyes that I thought you might like. If that's what they are.

You can have what I've got if you want 'em.

Be interesting to find out about barra smell. Might put a myth or 2 to bed or confirm 1 or 2.
Regards
Ronje

NinjaFish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by NinjaFish » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:39 pm

It would be interesting to know if Barra smell.

It would also be fun to learn their language....

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-12-30/ ... h/10669816

skotty74
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skotty74 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:42 pm

This has been a great read I only just picked it up.
I'm on the same page as far as the lateral line first goes, based on recent experiences. I basically only fish soft plastics these days unless trolling and even then I have started using plastics for that too.
One thing I will add that seems relevant here is that I have had the same methods that work very well for me in dirty or slightly dirty green water that do not work when the water is clean. And I am talking about the exact same spot on a lock in here when you know 100% the fish are there. This has happened many times. Now I have spots I will go to on different tides and phases of the tide (build or fall into/out of springs) based on how I know the water will be once the run has ceased.
I guess the point I am trying to make is that my methods work very well when the environment suits them, with the barra having a lateral line response followed by limited visual with good hook up rates on most strikes (although this has taken awhile to get right). However add too much visibility and they don't want a bar of the same plastics, regardless of colour changes and actions for retrieval etc.
“The solution to any problem –work, love, money, whatever –is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be.” –John Gierach

skotty74
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skotty74 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:48 pm

And I have started using s-factor on nearly everything nowadays especially after handling the lure / plastic.
I think it makes a difference to the second chance strikes, like when you cop a head but or miss a fish and it hasnt really felt the hook. I have found since using s-factor that I have sometimes caught the fish on the 3rd pass of the snag with a bump each time where without it they might have dismissed it. This is just a casual observation without evidence, but like previously mentioned, fishing reacts to confidence and positivity, if you "feel" like you're going to be on then most times it happens, s-factor has become part of that process for me.
“The solution to any problem –work, love, money, whatever –is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be.” –John Gierach

ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ronje » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:33 am

Skotty, my advice is that whatever colours you use make sure they're fluro (not glow-in-the-dark).

Fluro ensures that whatever lures you use are given the best chance of a barra seeing them. I recommend that you try following the X on the 3 little colour charts which sum up colours in dirty, medium and clear water. Be interested in hearing results if you try it.

Hard to get fluro soft plastics (I think) but one lure that I had lots of success on in greenish water for 5-6 years here (mainly lagoons or cleaner running stuff) was the Kokoda Barra Assassin. Always believed that it was the action until about 3 months ago when I accidently waved a u/v torch past some soft plastics on a shelf.

One lit up green in the packet ( the Kokoda Assassin) and that's how I learned that the action wasn't the only thing that contributed to the success of that type of soft plastic. The manufacturer had used fluro colouring in the mix. I hadn't known that (no mention of fluro on the packet).

I'd used other green soft plastics with fair success at those places but none matched the Kokoda's success. I'd always thought it was the action but now have to acknowledge that the fluro probably played a large part as well.

I've got about 20 packets of these left and will now fish them knowing that the action is good AND that the fluro colour enhances its visibility to barramundi in those types of waters.

Can't get those lures now.

One outcome from my little project is that I now go lure-looking in tackle shops with a u/v torch in hand.
Regards
Ronje

Return to “Lures”