some facts about barratroopers

barratrooper1
Seadog
Seadog

some facts about barratroopers

Post by barratrooper1 »

Had an interesting conversation with Craig from Craig's fishing warehouse today.
He had a customer come in the shop and tell him how and where "barratroopers" are made.
It seems this bloke knows someone who knows someone who knows me, and claimed that my lures come out of a factory in China.
Well here's how they are made.
I made about 80 in my shed in Karama, and it took me about 3 months.
My wife is from Jakarta in Indonesia (not China) her dad has a hardware business there, and I. Tried to source some timber and stainless wire while I was there on holidays. Turned out my brother in law had some time on his hands, and I taught him how to make my lures while I was there. He then made 250 blanks for me.

He had a friend who does smash repairs, and organised some paint to be done, and it turned out better than I could do.
I painted 7 blanks up, and asked them to copy them, which they did.
So now, they are made in Indonesia by my wife's family and friends, they are all made exactly the same way I make them, using my templates. They are cut out on a band saw, sanded on a belt sander, finished by hand.

They do NOT come out of any factory.

Any other lure sold, or otherwise has a barratrooper sticker, or sold as a barratrooper, comes out of my shed in Karama NT, made 100% by me. The Indo made lures are exactly the same as I make, and made the same way. The only difference is, I don't have time to make 200+ blank lures at a time. Other Aussie lure makers use copy lathes or duplicators to mass produce theîr blanks, I my wife's family, it helps them out, and it helps me out.

My lures are not available anywhere in the world except through me.

nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: some facts about barratroopers

Post by nomad »

Thanks for that info. I love the ones i bought and the way they swim. I even got an 84 on one :clap:
ghound
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ghound »

couldn't care less where they are made top notch barra lure
NTFizzer
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by NTFizzer »

BT that's a fantastic story. Not only have you developed a great product but you have generated work and income and no doubt benefited that community. Win win I think.
Pecheur
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Pecheur »

Hi there,

I was lucky enough to visit the shed were the BarraTroopers are made, and I can say that I have never been in China.
It is a great local product.

Have a good day,
Pecheur
Quinntreximon
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Quinntreximon »

A local product made by a barra fisherman who knows his stuff. Timber, no rattle, great colors that catch fish. Remember the days when all you used were nils master spearheads or invincibles these are the modern version in quality timber and the hardware needed for the territory fish. Well done spiro.
barratrooper1
Seadog
Seadog

Post by barratrooper1 »

Thanks for the comments fellas, hope we get some rain this year, and give em a real good go!
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ronje »

Barratrooper is one of the people I was referring to in my post "Having a go".
Regards
Ronje
DOUG
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by DOUG »

Chuck a pic up ?