Best Value Jigs

Makrel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Best Value Jigs

Post by Makrel »

I have recently set myself up with a jigging outfit and have since had the pleasure of being mauled by sharks on 2 occasions while fishing my favorite reefs.
Thus I can see the writing is on the wall - this jigging can get $$$$$$.

I have been using metal jigs in the 40 gram to 120 gram range with reasonable success. I have not used soft plastics yet but may splash out and get some heavy jigg heads.

My question is - what is an economical way to do this? I know I probably don't need the $18 - $25 Japanese jigs. But 3 Nitro jig heads are $16 and a pack of 3 big soft plastic baits is $10 ish. and they will last no time when the Macks visit.

I have found a supply of 100 gram metal jiggs for $5 each and they are fine for the pelagics. but not sure they have the action to attract the reefies.

I would welcome your advice.

Cheers

qiksix
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Best Value Jigs

Post by qiksix »

I use butterfly jigs and gulps on reefies, i reckon some days the butterflys (80g-100g) out fish the gulps. I make my own jig heads for about 40 cents each, way better then 4 bucks. Easy to do your self as long as you have a supply of lead, i get 100 packs of owner 7/0 hooks out of the usa for 40 bucks. I've also been looking into moulds for knife and butterfly jigs, i'm just not sure how to get the finish on them. Paint i dont think will cut it, i think some type of reflective/holographic tape with an adhesive back would do but i'm yet to find.
jabsy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jabsy »

What mould do you use for the jig heads?
Lats
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Lats »

Another good option is to make your own assist hooks like i did. Not yet fully tested on the reefies but pelagics loved them. And an easy way to spice up a dull metal jig. I did a post about making them with assist cord and single strand wire. Search assist hooks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Makrel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Makrel »

Lats - I do lots of fly tying so have already turned my hand to spicing up the jigs with a bit of Crystal Flash or Flashbau. They certainly have more life and appeal when the hook is dressed in this manor.

My guess is your white feathers get more attention - that's how it seems to work with Fly's. The simple white Clauser fly is the "go-to" fly for top end fishing and will catch anything.
Lats
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Lats »

Makrel wrote:Lats - I do lots of fly tying so have already turned my hand to spicing up the jigs with a bit of Crystal Flash or Flashbau. They certainly have more life and appeal when the hook is dressed in this manor.

My guess is your white feathers get more attention - that's how it seems to work with Fly's. The simple white Clauser fly is the "go-to" fly for top end fishing and will catch anything.
bl..dy spot on with white. Yesterday I killed a white rooster and kept all his big feathers :twisted: