Finniss fresh still a few around.

Your home if you fish from anything that isn't floating.
goldfish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Finniss fresh still a few around.

Post by goldfish »

Got up to a nice cool dry season morning and loaded up the quad for another crack at the barra and sooties down the finniss fresh again. The road out was holding up to the traffic well and I was soon parked up in the shade of the paperbarks prepping the gear for another day out on the bike and walking the banks.

It'd dropped about 6in and the water had a distinct chill to it now so I wasn't expecting to get onto many barra this time. Soon I'd arrived at the area we had been successful in on the last few trips avoiding most of the mud on the way. Also there were way less prickles covering my shirt and groin region this time too after having run this track a couple of times now. :D

I had my light spin gear along with me again despite the sensible advice of my mate. So with a brand new crystal minnow tied on I headed down to the spot. First cast I had a small sooty on the bank. But only a few casts later was annihilated by a decent barra which instantly blew me away around the timber.

Re rigging again. .....dammit :banghead:

I was kicking myself for not bringing the baitcaster out with the 50lb as I walked back up to the bike as the sounds of the barra echoed up the pool as it was repeatedly jumping trying to rid itself of my lure.

I had a spare with me it was a different colour : silver blade with white back.
I tied it on along with a new 2m length of 45lb schnider and was soon back into it. No more bites from the area disturbed by the last one so I moved to the area around the corner.

First cast producing a jarring strike from a barra in the 70's... he dropped it but on the 2nd cast I was hooked up solid. For about 3 seconds. With very limited room and the barra easily accellerating through the nearest log i was snagged. :bonk: The fish got off but I was able to recover my lure off the branch it'd been hung up on.

Stoked I guess. .... could've been worse

I got a few more sooties and went back out to the bike and loaded up. I hit the throttle and punched through the scrub another few km creating a new track into another untouched area of the river. Following a few minutes of de prickling once again i was in position. The lure was new to these fish and I was soon watching the schools of sooties attack the lure from their snags in 4m over the sand. A couple of times i had 2 on the lure at once or a rat barra and sooty combination.

I did get onto a few good sized one's and got peeled through snags twice more but luckily was able to recover my lure each time. I would have caught about 30 decent sooties and 6 barra and a pile of the underzized rats that'd often take the lure from in front of a legal one sizing it up.

On my travels earlier I had come across a small spa and even had a quick dip to rinse off the sweat and cool down in the freezing cold water. It would've been great if it was fed by a hot spring but we can't be too spoilt now can we. Shortly afterwards a late lunch was demolished before catching one last sooty before I headed back out.

''Do the miles get the smiles '' proving to be the case once again in this area, it was a bit of a mission but well worth it. :drinking8:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tight lines 'n' keep the shiny side up people.
chris338
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Finniss fresh still a few around.

Post by chris338 »

great work mate. gotta love to remote land based sessions.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Great report, looks like you are having a ball :mrgreen:

Also like the "low temp!"

Mornings here look like Kong's Island ... low whispy clouds in the hillside forests, sometimes thick fog until 10am. Fog usually means a clear day tho.

Was a bloke on here years ago who got great sooties and a few baz in the sweetwater around Katherine.
Tap'n'Zap
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Tap'n'Zap »

Great read mate, well done.
ozdodge
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ozdodge »

Another great trip report- thanks for making the effort,

Cheers
ozdodge

Don't crowd me - I'm likely to bite!
Melv
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Melv »

Had a mate up from south and headed down there Friday week ago. We found fish in a couple of spots and ended up catching 50+ for the morning. Only half a dozen 50cm+ but there are absolutely loads of 20 - 40cm fish in there at the moment which augers well for the next few years. The novelty wore off pretty quick for me but he had a ball watching 5 and 6 fish appear behind his lure in the clear water before one of them would break away and smash (well, tap......) the lure.

Easily entertained these southeners ....... :catch: Still, it's a nice place to spend a few early morning hours.

:cheers:
Melv
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.