Whiting in Darwin??

Your home if you fish from anything that isn't floating.
jaymz711
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Whiting in Darwin??

Post by jaymz711 »

Hey there guys!

Just moved up to Darwin from Brisbane recently and am having a ball fishing so far, whether it be bait or casting lures from the rocks I seem to be having luck and loving it..
Though my favourite eating fish be whiting I was wondering if anyone can inform me if if you do catch them up here??
And if so any spots would be a huge help :D

Thanks

James

Davey D
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Whiting in Darwin??

Post by Davey D »

myself, love eating them also, havent caught them up here yet as im targeting other fish, though i am pretty sure most beaches would hold them, cas beach, lee point beach and the mouth of buff creek, if your into a fun day trip go to gunn point, as for bait im guessing small prawns and small hooks, a good thing to do if you like fishing and you move to darwin is to buy the fish finder book, its great help and will tell you everything you need to know.
The ones who fight for their beliefs are those who achieve their dreams.

Can we just take the warning stickers off everything and let natural selection take its place, I mean if its spinning fast dont put your fingers in it..... Its not hard

ARTE ET MARTE
AdzaNT
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by AdzaNT »

Welcome to the Territory James! Lee Point beach is the place to try. I've picked up a few good whiting on the beaches at Lee Point. You need to keep and ear or eye out for the old whiting fisherman as they run better at certain times. One thing I learned pretty quickly is that it doesn't fish like SE Qld up here. Heading out for a plate of table fish (bream, whiting, flathead) is replaced by big fish that eat your table fish (i.e. Queenies, GT, Mackerel and barra) and are so much more fun to catch! Of course anything in the legal 23cm whiting range is clearly bait up here. The other thing is you often struggle to find really light gear. KMart is good cause they stock the Australia wide range of tackle. Also be careful wading into the water... I saw a few big box jellyfish at Cullen bay the other morning so they are now here for the wet season.
Davey D
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Davey D »

Anyone know what tides they are more abundant in?

And take what he said about walking in water very seriously, i got done by a box jelly two weeks ago, not very fun at all, instant ouch. make sure you have a bottle of vinegar in your truck if you thinking about going in water.

Can we just take the warning stickers off everything and let natural selection take its place, I mean if its spinning fast dont put your fingers in it..... Its not hard

ARTE ET MARTE
jaymz711
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by jaymz711 »

Cheers for the heads up guys! :)

Aye I know its a stupid thing to start topic about in the NT with all the other species :D

I brough up a 6ft rod 15lb line and 2500 size reel, and thats all ive got for the moment till I get my first pay from my new bar job.
But with just a stiffy devilfish vibe casting around the rocks at stokes wharf ive had a blast with trevs upto 50cm, small jacks and cod..
Can't wait till I get some heavier gear and a cast net :clap:

Just miss fishin for tings and might get a surf rod with some 6lb line and hit up lee point beach in a few weeks for old times sake :)
I'd assume I might get some better quality fish at the right time here than brisbane, and a few bust offs from something bigger (with teeth) aswell :P

Definately gettin a fish finder book till I get in the proper know :)
Davey D
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Davey D »

sounds like your doing ok, i havent caught S%$t on stokes hill, but i dont go there much, i will most likely be out at lee point this weekend on sunday, if you see a skinny guy short blonde hair wearing long pants and sleeves that me dont be afraid to say hi and join in fishing with me and my mate. i will have a cast net also so i could spare some live bait if needed.

ARTE ET MARTE
jaymz711
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by jaymz711 »

Davey D wrote:sounds like your doing ok, i havent caught S%$t on stokes hill, but i dont go there much, i will most likely be out at lee point this weekend on sunday, if you see a skinny guy short blonde hair wearing long pants and sleeves that me dont be afraid to say hi and join in fishing with me and my mate. i will have a cast net also so i could spare some live bait if needed.
Mate if only I had a car and wasnt working sunday ( and every other bl..dy day for that matter :P ) :(
Keep in touch but!
Dreamrider-
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Dreamrider- »

Hello jaymz, whiting are abundant in the sandy regions .

Places like Lee point, Nightcliff and my personal favourite Buffalo Creek where there is a lot of sand are really good places. Just go on a neap tide, where there is slow moving water and chuck a small baited prawn on a paternoster rig.

If you're lucky might also get Cods, salmons etc.
On my way to catch a 1 metre barra... some day
:D
JewieQueen
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by JewieQueen »

I get cr.p loads of whiting in the cast net down on the sand bar at buff creek is that helps?
It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming.

Give a man a fish, and he can eat for a day. But teach a man how to fish, and he'll be dead of mercury poisoning inside of three years.

“Fishing, with me, has always been an excuse to drink in the daytime”

"Soon after I embraced the sport of angling I became convinced that I should never be able to enjoy it if I had to rely on the cooperation of the fish."
tezza1
Seadog
Seadog

Post by tezza1 »

I use to fish for these little guys a lot at Lee point Beach.I used a 6lb spinng outfit using a 2 hook dropper rig,size 10 hooks and best quality squid I could get.A loaf off bread mashed up with water in a bucket for berley you can add a bit of tuna oil as well.I prefered an hour before the top of the tide till a couple of hours after,especially in the morning.No need to cast far out as they are usually in the or just behind the first wave.I use to fish in the dry only as it is too hot for me to stand on that beach this time of year.Good luck. :catch:
ravstar
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by ravstar »

Iv caught a few small whiting up Woods Inlet while fishing for pannies.
jaymz711
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by jaymz711 »

tezza1 wrote:I use to fish for these little guys a lot at Lee point Beach.I used a 6lb spinng outfit using a 2 hook dropper rig,size 10 hooks and best quality squid I could get.A loaf off bread mashed up with water in a bucket for berley you can add a bit of tuna oil as well.I prefered an hour before the top of the tide till a couple of hours after,especially in the morning.No need to cast far out as they are usually in the or just behind the first wave.I use to fish in the dry only as it is too hot for me to stand on that beach this time of year.Good luck. :catch:
thanks heaps for the info mate!
Any size to em up here? :)
whomper37
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by whomper37 »

mate do a search on here I have seen pictures on here with buckets of whiting.... Prob help you out with times, tides and such... I dont recall any monsters but plenty of them.....
Frodo, Dont wear the ring...........
The magical Bling, Bling..
I dont rap about bitches and ho's
I rap about witches and trolls.....
tezza1
Seadog
Seadog

Post by tezza1 »

They do not get big up here.If you get one of 300mm nail it to a board and stick on your mantle piece :D That would be a huge one.Good eating all the same :chef2:
jonesy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jonesy »

Yep Tezza's on the money. I remember your posts from 3-4 years ago when I was up there,inspired me to go out and get some myself for a bit of 'bread and butter fishing' fix.

Peeled prawn,long shank #10,padernoster. Cast out and bring it in slowly,when they were there usually meant double headers each time. Also get a few Gars thrown is as well.

Needed a few for a feed,but filleted and battered,beautiful!

I only ever got them in the dry though,the couple of times I tried in the build up/wet,got zilch.