Sharkfishing

Your home if you fish from anything that isn't floating.
Sharkmen
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Sharkfishing

Post by Sharkmen »

Anybody chasing sharks from the shore. There are a few medium sized tigers are cruising the channel at high tide at channel island bridge. Not big ones but heaps of fun. Has anybody spotted any big sharks lately ?

meter_seeker
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by meter_seeker »

Leave those tigers alone, there what known as endangered species theses days.
Image Image
craigrachow
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by craigrachow »

hooked up a big monster on saturday morning out at fenton. he just swam and swam and swam and i had no control over him. after 10min i was totally knacked and after 20min i was totally board. still fought him as i coudlnt thumb him or cut the line as i didnt wanna loose a good 150yards.
eventually he bit through to my relief.

i would suggest targeting other fish that you can land and have a nice photo with at the least.
Sharkmen
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Shark Fishing

Post by Sharkmen »

I target th smaller sharks these days but I do the most I can to make sure the sharks are released with out any adverse effects I.E (Crushed Barbed Hooks , Soft drags and I score all my hooks to take off the duratin plating so that they rust away in a matter of days, Meaning the expensive hooks only last a good long trip before the hooks start to rust and become brittle). There are not many longliners up here nowadays thanks to the strict government regulations on catch numbers. These are the guys responsible for the small populations on our coast today. To kill a large shark is a selfless act. In the many years I have caught sharks up here I have had one confirmed shark death and the was a 12 foot Tiger and I went to great means to make sure none of it was wasted.

It.s the people that poach these beatiful creatures that we should worry about.

Cheers Catch and release forever

I don't just target sharks but all big things that swim
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Don't think tigers are endangered, they are like Powertail :lol:

You rarely see them, they seem a bit shy, but they are off Darwin in numbers.
Chasing_@_130
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Chasing_@_130 »

Don't know what it's like now, but I used to chase sharks off Nightcliff Jetty. Biggest landed went about 5 ft. Biggest lost??? Who knows but when something takes you bait and manages to swim off with over 100 metres of 15kg against a damn tight drag before the hooks pull, you know it's not something you want to be swimming around with.
They were good days.
Might Have to get back down there and try it again
Sharkmen
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Sharkfishing Darwin

Post by Sharkmen »

Nightcliff jetty is touch and go for sharks. To many people. Mandora is better because of the proximinity to the habour channel. Channel Island bridge is also worth a go on the right tide. In the dry huge Hammer heads work their way up the channel Island channel and can be caught useing super big livies like queenies and big blue salmon off the bridge at night but be perpared for a massive fight because of the shallow water they tend to go harder for longer. Had a couple of unstopables on 36kg stand up gear. Once they spool me out to the channel it's good night. Elizebeth river bridge has sharks but I get sick of catching huge shovel noses and rays. Fisherman's wharf holds tigers but I won't fish their anymore because I keep on catching the gropers that live their. There is a giant groper their you can feed fish frames to on the low tide.

All gropers should be release with the up most care. Some times after a long fight the only way to make sure they survive is to swim them out. Holding them upright in the water. This is lots of fun at night NOT. Specialty when I've just released a shark.

Cheers

Return to “Landbased”